1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
It looks better and sounds good. It sounds kinda crappy in the video when it's coming back down to an idle after a rev.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks better and sounds good. It sounds kinda crappy in the video when it's coming back down to an idle after a rev.
Yeah it's been doing that from the moment we installed it, my mechanic can't find out why it does, though when it's in gear it doesn't sound loud. After a day of driving I find with a manual tx it's giving me a lot of backfiring, may just be that its still breaking in and I should tighten the bolts a bit, I'm getting my mechanic to look it over soon :p Overall I am extremely pleased though, it's certainly a head turner and that's what I wanted !!

Reactions: swerv0428

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
The exhaust can come three different ways.
From the corksport website;

Corksport Cat-Back Exhaust - $440
This requires you to cut your exhaust after the second catalyst. The advantages of this are the fact that its the cheapest option and allows you t keep both stock catalysts. The downside is that you have to cut your stock exhaust.

Corksport Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Racepipe - $520
This option requires removing your second stock catalyst, however makes it so you do not have to cut the exhaust because this will bolt on to the joint between the two catalysts. Check with you local shops to see what your emission laws are. Not have both cats may cause you to fail emissions.

Corksport Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Racepipe and High-Flow Catalyst - $720
This is the same bolt on concept as with the racepipe, however this one replaced the catalyst that you removed with the racepipe with a high-flow catalyst. This is the most expensive option, however will allow you to not worry about passing emissions tests.

I do not know if Corksport offers any sale prices at all.
I haven't purchased mine yet, but I plan on going with the third option, with the racepipe and hi-flow cat.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i see... i wish i knew someone around chicagoland to hear it in person... im sure the videos dont do it justice :/
The video has nothing in comparison to the actual sound, the only downfall is on the highway at 3k rpm it drones like hell and actually will cover my music. Otherwise I'm happy with it, the only other mazda i found that was louder than it had a straight pipe from his header :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
damn, that loud with the racepipe? How is it without the racepipe? You say youre happy with it... if you could start over, would you get it without the racepipe? you got the highflow cat with it too?

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
In theory the high flow cat should deaden the sound a bit but I have no idea how much. I'm trying to find a video of it.

After looking around a bit I saw a few people say that by adding in the high flow catalyst, it mellows the tone of the exhaust. One of the people actually had a racepipe then purchased the high flow cat, so he had a before/after observation to go by.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn, that loud with the racepipe? How is it without the racepipe? You say youre happy with it... if you could start over, would you get it without the racepipe? you got the highflow cat with it too?
It's not uncomfortable just driving around town, the best scenario if you don't want to hear it as much is keep the windows down. With the windows up the sound just resonates inside my hatch.

I I had to do it again I would without a doubt go with the racepipe, it may make it louder but it also made it a lot easier to install the exhaust. Even with the extra noise I still like it, I just can't go on long drives with people because they don't like the loud music it takes to drown out the exhaust! :p

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
It's not uncomfortable just driving around town, the best scenario if you don't want to hear it as much is keep the windows down. With the windows up the sound just resonates inside my hatch.
Another option is to use sound deadener around your car such as dynomat, but that would get very expensive.

I just wish there was a way to see how much the high flow cat drowns the sound / see how it sounds with the high flow cat. I had the drone on my old civic and it was terrible so I'm trying to NOT have that this time :p

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Another option is to go a different exhaust route. On our 2.5 we have my old speed muffler and a resonator delete. It's plenty loud and sounds nice. You could also do a resonator delete and a racing beat muffler. Those sound great.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Another option is to go a different exhaust route. On our 2.5 we have my old speed muffler and a resonator delete. It's plenty loud and sounds nice. You could also do a resonator delete and a racing beat muffler. Those sound great.
I've heard of doing that, the resonator delete but I really would rather not cut my stock exhaust. Unfortunately, this limits me tremendously:/

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yea some people don't want to cut it. Understandable. Still a shop could re install the resonator for 40 bucks.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
It shouldn't. The second cat isn't monitored by an o2 sensor so the car won't even know it's gone.

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is a 2nd cat delete going to cause a CEL?
No it doesn't my exhaust got rid of the 2nd cat and I.haven't had any errors what so ever.come up, better yet, I get better highway mileage... in city I tend to play with the gas pedal a bit more for sound so I haven't lost or gained anything there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts