2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mazda lovers,

I love my girl, but feeling a little bit problem with the transmission.
2014, G165 sky active is the one I had bought from dealer with 81000 km on board.

feeling jumping and lagging (shaking) when changing gear from 1-to 2 most of the time, even happens when I release clutch very smoothly, and some times hard to go in gear 1., I don't know the problem is regarding the clutch or maybe gearbox.
Took my girl to the mechanic and he tried and mentioned due to high engine torque and power it is commonly normal. I'm driving more than 15 years, it is the first time I am feeling this kind of uncomfortableness with gear changing.
It comes just in gear change from 1 to 2, and the other gears have no problem.
I have tried another G165 from another dealer, and it has the same problem, but not comes with G120, I cant refer the problem to the engine,

Do you have any Idea?

another issue happens once a while is that when I shift reverse gear from 2 to 1 suddenly car starts to jumping and lagging, and I have to press the clutch to get rid of shaking. feel look like some kind of fuel lacking when the Benzin is going to run out in the tank, with the carburetor engines.
have any experience?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
1-2 gear shift is known to be problematic on this car. The gear ratios are problematic.. at least I think that's the issue.

I've done a ton of mods and if I engage the clutch early and release it smoothly as I add throttle for a good 1-2 shift.
CK

Reactions: Mazda G165 lover

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right, the gear ratio in G165 and G120 is little bit different, and because of this you won't experience such feeling with G120.

I will try your methode ;)
Is there any solution offered by Mazda?
And have you experienced such shaking in reverse shifting from 2-1?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
571 Posts
1st - 2nd shift takes some effort to do smoothly on my 2017 Mazda6... with the same Skyactiv-MT manual transmission. It's the jump in gear ratios from 1st to 2nd. You will learn ways of making it smoother as time goes on. So you are not alone with this complaint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know that I'm not alone :)

The reason which motivated me to buy G165 was the engine performance and I mostly focused on that rather transmission or other issues.

It's little bit annoying, I hope to get to used it soon ;)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
I think you are right, the gear ratio in G165 and G120 is little bit different, and because of this you won't experience such feeling with G120.

I will try your methode ;)
Is there any solution offered by Mazda?
And have you experienced such shaking in reverse shifting from 2-1?

Thanks in advance
You have to blip the throttle before downshifting to rev match.
CK

·
Registered
571 Posts
Your trouble shifting into 1st gear: the first thing to check is whether there is air in the clutch hydraulics line. It is very easy to bleed (no tools required but for a short length of hose and a jar... and an assistant). Also there is a test... a measurement of the clutch pedal start-of-engagement point from the floorboard. If is clearly described in the factory workshop manual. You can easily do it yourself... and even though clutch hydraulic circuit bleeding is easy just to do it - do the measurement test before then after bleeding it (if the measurement of the "before" condition shows a need to bleed it) - and in that way you can see if your bleeding the clutch circuit has materially affected matters. Then of course the test is whether you then have achieved easier engagement of 1st gear...

·
Registered
571 Posts
You have to blip the throttle before downshifting to rev match.
CK
If he's actually experiencing resistance, recalcitrance of the shift lever getting it into 1st then the clutch not fully disengaging is the first thing to suspect. Bleed hydraulics so that the clutch pedal travel isn't partways "wasted" in compressing hydraulic system air versus in fully stroking the slave cylinder. 2nd thing to suspect is lousy choice of fluid (for the ambient temp of the locale where the car is being operated); and the third thing is a "knackered" / worn synchro. For the latter - rev matching when downshifting will not allow the shift to be made unless it is while double-clutching (i.e. rev matching while in neutral with clutch pedal released followed by a quick clutch pedal "dip" / engagement of the desired lower gear).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he's actually experiencing resistance, recalcitrance of the shift lever getting it into 1st then the clutch not fully disengaging is the first thing to suspect. Bleed hydraulics so that the clutch pedal travel isn't partways "wasted" in compressing hydraulic system air versus in fully stroking the slave cylinder. 2nd thing to suspect is lousy choice of fluid (for the ambient temp of the locale where the car is being operated); and the third thing is a "knackered" / worn synchro. For the latter - rev matching when downshifting will not allow the shift to be made unless it is while double-clutching (i.e. rev matching while in neutral with clutch pedal released followed by a quick clutch pedal "dip" / engagement of the desired lower gear).
Thanks for your good advices (y)
I think if we have leakage in the clutch system then we would experience same problem in other gears as well, but it just happens in 1-2, and I have tried the same model from other dealers, they also had same issue, so it boosts the "bad gear ratio design" hypothesis in Mazda 3, G165.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Air in the hydraulics first manifests itself (it often does) in difficulty of shifting-in to the lowest of the gears. Normally this shows as the 3rd to 2nd shift first being difficult. 2nd to 1st would be MORE difficult... but in normal driving at any reasonable speed we really don't shift into 1st unless you're just at rolling speed. The higher gears simply are easier to downshift-in to... and that is why mfrs sometimes put double- or triple cone synchromesh onto 1st or 2nd gear... but not onto 3rd or higher gears; because the lowest gears are in the most arduous service. So inadequate clutch disengagement shows up most (and most prominently) as a hinderance in shifting-in to those lowest gears.

I say this in reaction to the Original Poster's comment "and some times hard to go in gear 1."

I do acknowledge that the OP mostly mentioned the main issue being the "awkward" car reaction to the attempt to smoothly go from 1st to 2nd... which most-all of us experience. And this is due to ratio issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts