2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing a lot of research on what do to for an aftermarket HU. I really like the idea of installing a Mac Mini in the car.

I ordered my 10" lilliput touch screen already. I planned on making a custom mount so that the screen could just be placed in front of the stock stereo HU whenever I wanted to use the Mac. After doing some more research and seeing some awesome success stories of other people, I am now looking more into doing a full integration of the 10" touch screen, replacing the stock HU.

I know that I want to have a stereo HU so that the Mini doesn't ALWAYS have to be used when I want to listen to music. I was thinking about where in the world I would mount an aftermarket HU if I put a 10" where the stock HU currently lives. On someone else's install, I noticed he had a thin remote mounted on his dash that must be wired back to an HU somewhere hidden away. The only good options I could find for this would be a marine HU with a wired marine stereo remote. The downside here is that I'm not sure if the PAC SWI boxes are compatible with marine stereos (anyone know?). I do NOT want to lose my steering wheel controls. There are also limited options that offer Bluetooth built-in or even capable at all.

So what I'm looking for is an aftermarket, 1-din HU with:
-fully functional wired remote w/LCD screen
-bluetooth built-in
-PAC SWI compatible
-preamp outputs (to run to the BOSE amp)
-aux input (for Mac Mini audio)

Here's what I've found so far... I have found most of these products elsewhere for less $$$, but I linked crutchfield and mp3car for simplicity sake.

For the stereo portion:
Kenwood Marine HU
Kenwood Marine Remote
PAC SWI-JACK (not sure if this is compatible with Kenwood Marine Decks)
Kenwood Bluetooth Interface

For the Mac Mini portion:
Lilliput 10" USB-powered touchscreen (arrives today :clap:)
Carnetix CNX-P1900 Power Supply
Carnetix MacPac
Griffin Powermate Knob

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm really excited to follow your progress here!!!! I really like the MAC idea.. I might have to join you in the not too distant future!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can use the Kenwood marine remote with any Kenwood head unit with a wired remote in. You could go with a KDC-BT945U and you'd have bluetooth built into it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use the Kenwood marine remote with any Kenwood head unit with a wired remote in. You could go with a KDC-BT945U and you'd have bluetooth built into it.
Thanks, but may I ask how you know that? I figured it may have the same interface, but crutchfield said the marine remote was only compatible with select Kenwood marine stereos...

Do you know if the same is true for sony marine remotes? Some of their remotes are smaller and may be a better fit for my application. Only reason I went with Kenwood is I didn't find any Sony marine HUs that fit my requirements.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crutchfield is incorrect. Check the following link. Under the "General Features" tab Kenwood shows that their radio works with the marine remote.
Kenwood - KDC-BT945U
I'm just trying to help. :thumbup 1::thumbup 1:

If you want full display on the remote, you may have to go with an Alpine. There's also connects through a radios Steering Wheel input wire. So it will work on all of their upper end radios too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crutchfield is incorrect. Check the following link. Under the "General Features" tab Kenwood shows that their radio works with the marine remote.
Kenwood - KDC-BT945U

If you want full display on the remote, you may have to go with an Alpine. There's also connects through a radios Steering Wheel input wire. So it will work on all of their upper end radios too.
Yeah, absolutely I appreciate the help. I was just wondering where you got your info.

I will definitely look at that Kenwood link as well as look into alpine options.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kenwood - KDC-BT945U

You're right that that deck works with A marine remote. However, the marine remote it works with is not the Kenwood marine remote with an LCD screen...

The Alpine marine remotes do seem like they should work with any Alpine deck that has a steering wheel input wire, however they work over IR... I was hoping for a wired solution.

There is still much to research.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You are right. The Kenwood marine remote with a screen only works with the specified Kenwood Marine Radios.

The Alpine uses a hard wired RF receiver. The Remote still needs to be wired for power but sends its signal to the receiver via RF. IR signals are diluted in sunlight so an RF remote is the only way to go in a marine application.

I don't know of any wired solutions w/ a display screen other than the Alpine. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the screen is here.

The included manual says only windows support

But the included driver disc has a mac osx folder... what gives?

Installed the drivers. Screen still doesn't work. So here it sits next to my macbook completely useless

I have found other forum posts and threads with people having similar problems. It sounds like the right drivers are out there. I just need to find them. Problem is most of links I'm finding in thread posts are dead links... :argh 1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had an 8" screen in my old mitsu of the same make and used this driver for a mini the link still works just checked, saved it a while ago just in case...

http://www.lilliput.cn/driver/Mac_OSX(intel_CPU).zip

And i hope this turns out good for you will be watching might copy you if you it turns out good still have that old mini laying around.....

PS: i hope its an intel mini not a g4 cause i found no PPC drivers available.

and again good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the link. I think I've tried that one. The problem I'm having right now is: I've actually realized that the touch functionality works, but it's not displaying any video.... However, when DisplayLink is installed, it doesn't work at all... the display just powers up...

When I have ONLY the TouchKit installed, it does touch actions, but no video.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just ran across this fan page when searching carputer on the almighty Black Hole of life, FB

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I've been dumb with the picture failures...

here's some pics:

monitor bracket in progress:

spot welded bottom brackets on (after making two notches in the front face of the stereo for the brackets to sit in... (not so pleased that I had to do this, but they are small and the end result is just about as professional looking as I could ask for)

front face with bottom brackets on

in dash

bracket

bracket slips in between the air vent and stereo on top...

bracket installed on the monitor

monitor in the car (various angles)

from the side... I'm gonna put some spacers in the top to get the angle to change a bit...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got an email back from the people at mp3car.com today. I had emailed them about getting the monitor to work on a mac...

they had some tips that I'm going to try tonight. hopefully I can get it...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tried their suggestions. still nothing... emailed them back.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After looking more at this USB interface and finding out from some guinea pig owners that the amount of other functional loss with an aftermarket HU is acceptable, I have now decided to move forward with a full integration of the 10" screen into the dash.

I plan to again start with ripping apart the screen and fuzing its bezel with the 2-din kit so it can be cleanly mounted in the dash. I probably won't get to this first part of the project for a couple weekends. I'll post pics as they come.

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
That first design you had, with a removable headunit was NICE! I am very impressed with your workmanship. Can't wait to see what it looks like fully installed, and integrated into the control system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts