2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Down 280 HP & loving it
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to upgrade the dash speakers to something a bit nicer than the stock Bose drivers, which I find harsh in the treble spectrum. After a little research I landed on the JL AUDIO C2-350X.

Nothing more to report than any of the other posts I’ve seen, except to say you can reuse the male plug from the factory speakers. Saves time and money. Just clip the wires and pry them off. Now you’ll have the ability to connect them directly to the JL’s terminals via the folder lugs.

I chose to solder a pigtail to the backs of the speakers so I could tuck the harness into the dash away from the magnets. Space is relatively limited and I didn’t want the speakers to bottom out on the harnesses.

I did have to shave off a plastic projection from each side of the dash, as noted, but I did not have to split the harness. On my particular vehicle, the harness was able to be pushed away from the speaker cavity. If you notice a weak tone after your install or more volume on one side, you’ve reversed the polarity on one or both of these.

The upper mids and highs on these speakers are so much smoother and more pleasing to the ear. A definite upgrade.

I don’t understand why Mazda didn’t place the door subs in the rear, since this position is wired in mono and bass isn’t directional. They should’ve placed the midrange drivers in the front doors wires in stereo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I decided to upgrade the dash speakers to something a bit nicer than the stock Bose drivers, which I find harsh in the treble spectrum. After a little research I landed on the JL AUDIO C2-350X.

Nothing more to report than any of the other posts I’ve seen, except to say you can reuse the male plug from the factory speakers. Saves time and money. Just clip the wires and let them off. Now you’ll have the ability to connect them directly to the JL’s terminals via the folder lugs.

I chose to solder a pigtail to the backs of the speakers so I could tuck the harness into the dash away from the magnets. Space is relatively limited and I didn’t want the speakers to bottom out on the harnesses.

I did have to shave off a plastic projection from each side of the dash, as noted, but I did not have to split the harness. On my particular vehicle, the harness was able to be pushed away from the speaker cavity. If you notice a weak tone after your install or more volume on one side, you’ve reversed the polarity on one or both of these.

The upper mids and highs on these speakers are so much smoother and more pleasing to the ear. A definite upgrade.

I don’t understand why Mazda didn’t place the door subs in the rear, since this position is wired in mono and bass isn’t directional. They should’ve placed the midrange drivers in the front doors wires in stereo.

Are you sure the front door subs are Mono?

I went with the Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx and just love them for my front channels. They have a High sensitivity and great power handling. My soundstage is great, detailed and balanced. I do love the centerpoint setting in this car.

At home I use a 5.2 channel system with all separates from Emotiva. "nothing better for the money".

·
Down 280 HP & loving it
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, the rear door position is wired in mono. I don’t understand the logic Bose applied here. It creates a wash of filler sound that doesn’t really add anything useful to the overall experience. It’s very muddy and indestinct. I’d rather have the front door subs back there in the mono position and have the mids up front wired in stereo.

Have you replaced the center speaker yet? I also think the sound is better with it on.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used the Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx for my center channel. Crutchfield has these speakers for 50% off today I just ordered a pair for the rear deck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts