2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a crazy day today figuring out how my coil pack is broken, mail-man brighten up my day a bit with car parts at least haha.

Here is JBR's throttle body coolant bypass & thermal gasket kit (there's more parts to this pic but you get the idea:

parts.jpg

It's a super simple mod to do the coolant bypass part. Just squeeze the clamps to the 2 coolant lines and pull them off and then put each end into the barb fitting and put back the clamps back on and that's it.

20140613_163152.jpg

20140613_163230.jpg

Now as far as BAT's go, yeah it's lowered for sure when you're cruising, it's much more stable temperature and it doesn't rise as quickly just doing the bypass part.

I'll be back later updating this post when I do the thermal gasket tomorrow. I have to replace my coil packs, EGR tube delete, replace my bpv hose, and boost leak test so I'd rather do all that at once tomorrow so I don't have to remove anything twice. I welcome Q & A as usual!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any downsides to the coolant bypass? I'm stupid and trying to figure out its original purpose.
I should put a disclaimer before people starts ordering it lol. The main purpose of it, coolant helps the throttle body valves from sticking during really freezing temps. Basically warming it up quicker so that there isn't a rough start during the snowy seasons. So if you do this mod and you're in the snowy climates, you might have a hard time starting your car.

Seeing how I live in the pro-claimed nice weather in SoCal....it's not really needed and it keeps the throttle body hot all the time (higher BAT's) So bypassing it helps keeps the BAT's down.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came from El Centro, 120 degree weather during summer times, you sleep at 80 degrees....San Diego is heaven to me weather wise, and the ladies here aren't too bad :001_tt2 1:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel ya either way tho, I live in the inland of San Diego so it has its moments when you say to yourself, I thought this was San Diego! LOL Our recent blaze of fires did put us on edge tho I do have to say.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just did this by buying barb $3 and caps $2. Works quite well I did get lower temps. I think on a turbo charged car in the winter it does not cause any problems from what I have heard. If it did it's easy to reconnect it.

Reactions: pdc001

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to report back, BAT's seems to somewhat drop down quicker when you're WOT but no changes during normal daily driving and sitting in traffic idling. I'm thinking you might see more changes if you stack 2 or 3 more of these to make it really effective.

Anyways so pulling the throttle body off, intake manifold is very dirty, damn you EGR.

For those wondering how to disconnect the electrical plug, move this red tab to the right and then squeeze the middle to unlatch it and then unplug it.

20140615_091313.jpg

This is the BACK of the throttle body, not the front. Which is why I'm blaming the EGR

20140615_081833.jpg

The intake manifold. I'm not sure why my camera decided to do black and white.

20140615_081857.jpg

This is after cleaning the throttle body and part of the intake manifold where it mates up to the TB.

20140615_082528.jpg
20140615_082544.jpg
FB_IMG_14028463880950981.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts