2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you all tell me that Im losing power/sucking in hot air without a heatshield I know this and am making one.
Its also winter here so a bit of warm air wont hurt during the cold months.

After studying up on the CS and JBR SRI's I finally decided on the JBR unit as I liked their CNC MAF tube and airflow straightener design better. And it comes with better clamps.
Install was a breeze, you need a deep 11mm socket or a wrench for the airfilter clamp though as a standard stubby socket bottoms out on the threads.
I left the OEM airbox bottom in place to deliver it some fresh air until the spring when my ducting and heatshield go in and to provide a bit of support so the weight is not hung from the TB alone.
No check engine light, no issues.
The sound is nice, as its right off the TB it gives a very carb'ish sound which I like.
Throttle response is improved and maybe a bit fatter midrange, but its too early to really make an informed statement.
I will follow up after a week or so with more impressions.

Pairs well with the CS axle back and gives a nice sound to the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after driving it more over the last few days, the midrange is improved for sure and the throttle response is markedly better.
Its like a totally different car now and I love it.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
I finally caved and ordered this, should hopefully be here next week. My first plan for it is to install a support brace or two. Not liking the idea that its just gunna flop around and be supported entirely by the silicone coupler. Then in spring I will try to add some sort of heat shield. I live in Canada lol it doesn't get THAT hot up here, so Im not as worried about it.

Reactions: Shawn M

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
You won't need a brace for it.

The clamps and tubing will be very secure. If you plan on investing in a heat shield, that could add some support for the SRI though. See the attached pic for what I mean.

You may even be able to find a K&N heat shield used that you could couple with your SRI.
CK

Attachments

Reactions: Shawn M and MrBen

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks CK, Im going to fab up a shield this spring for it and route in a duct from the oem fog location

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
midnightsky228, you'll love it.
quality piece with nice attention to detail
once I get my shield templated out, I'd be happy to share the design.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
midnightsky228, you'll love it.
quality piece with nice attention to detail
once I get my shield templated out, I'd be happy to share the design.
Sounds good to me. I have access to lots of different materials, tools, and equipment, so I might have mine done before spring lol. I like the AEM heat shield design, my plan is to try something similar. Might consider making an icebox too, its all up in the air for now as it's below freezing and I don't need it yet lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im in the same boat, winter has set in here

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Go figure, the day Canada Post got sent back to work my intake shows up, I knew they were holding it hostage lol. I'll echo the original post here, very impressed with the quality here, and the ease of installation rivals that of early day honda VTEC intakes, it was cake. Very very early impressions, good tone, could be louder but this isn't VTEC lol, PowerBand initial feeling is a very very minor loss/trade in low end torque and increased mid range. But this was low speeds and of course it will need a few weeks to get fully adjusted to the changes, especially at this altitude. Im gunna say for now throttle response was also improved, but again, its too early for speculation. Overall I am happy tho, good buy, good product, definitely recommend it. If your on the fence about an intake, this is definitely a good buy and good value.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy you got it! I hate it when the post holds my stuff hostage lol
After a few weeks I must say the car has adjusted well, I haven't noticed a loss in low end TQ although it may be offset by the improved throttle response.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
After a few weeks I must say the car has adjusted well, I haven't noticed a loss in low end TQ although it may be offset by the improved throttle response.
I noticed the same thing today, the front tires want to break loose sooner than it did before with the oem airbox. I live in a small city and there are certain corners I like to push and get back on the throttle quickly. Im confident now that the intake is an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, much sharper throttle transitions.
I really notice it on the highway in 6th when I need to pass, or lugging around town in 4th/5th

·
Registered
178 Posts
JBR Intake Club

Hey guys I just order jbr intake for my 2.5 l They are having Christmas sale been waiting for a good sale. Hey Shawn if you build a heat shield would love to see your plans. I like your review I hope for the same results. One thing keeping the stock box in will help fresh air coming in for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will definitely post a thread this spring when I build the heat shield.
Enjoy the intake, I know I am.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
yeah, much sharper throttle transitions.
I really notice it on the highway in 6th when I need to pass, or lugging around town in 4th/5th
They're ideal for WOT applications. Normally it takes 5 seconds to pass a car vs 2 secs with SRI.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went out this weekend and fab'd up my first prototype heat shield.
Note, this uses the OEM airbox bottom as a mount and is designed to use the OEM fresh air inlet to boot.
-I know there are changes needed, this is the first prototype-

I also templated out an entire new heatshield/box

1 - 20 of 23 Posts