2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, but just wanted to say hello by offering a quick review of the JBR short shift plate since I hadn't really seen any talk about it. First off, it's for my wife's 2015 2.0 Touring hatchback. I'm really glad I was able to teach her to drive a manual years ago, as we're planning on handing this down to our daughter when she turns 16. Anyway, I ordered all the additional aluminum bushings, but haven't installed those for the shifter mount itself yet. The JBR shift plate offers 2 separate reduction holes offering either 40% or 20% shorter shifts. I went with the 40% reduction as we're used to driving my Mustang with a Hurst shifter installed that takes quite a bit of effort and has quite short throws. The install of both the shift bracket and spacers with bushings took just under 2 hours with my daughter helping, which meant about 15 minutes spent looking for and recovering various bolts and washers that she dropped. The shifter is now nearly perfect in my opinion. The shifts do require more effort, but they were extremely light to begin with. The shifts are significantly shorter and much more direct. JBR offers great instructions to follow on their website as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I`m glad to hear positive reviews for this. I just ordered mine. I won`t do an install write up as the instructions on the JBR site are pretty thorough and picture heavy already. (May`be I`ll get this and my first tune flash in the same day...MMmmmmm.....)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just a wrap up:

Got it today, installed it today. Took about an hour. I gotta say...the 40% setting makes it SHORT. Like "makes the car feel way more fancy than it really is" kinda short. LOL. I`m starting to enjoy my car more and more (not that I wasn`t before, but the little things along the way are making it so great to personalize and make it MINE).

Oh, and major kudos to JBR. The product right down to the packaging is exquisite.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just a wrap up:

Got it today, installed it today. Took about an hour. I gotta say...the 40% setting makes it SHORT. Like "makes the car feel way more fancy than it really is" kinda short. LOL. I`m starting to enjoy my car more and more (not that I wasn`t before, but the little things along the way are making it so great to personalize and make it MINE).

Oh, and major kudos to JBR. The product right down to the packaging is exquisite.
Did you happen to buy the cable bracket bushing and the shifter base bushing? I can't decide if I want to include those 2 additional items or just buy the plate itself.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you happen to buy the cable bracket bushing and the shifter base bushing? I can't decide if I want to include those 2 additional items or just buy the plate itself.
I got the short shift plate with both bushings. Installed the cable bracket bushings at the same time as the short shift plate. I installed the shifter base bushings a couple weeks later. Obviously a noticeable difference with the short shift plate. But since I installed the cable bracket bushings at the same time I can't say what difference that makes. The shifter base bushings made a difference. Shifts felt crisper and more solid. When shifting hard it feels more solid. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I had like 1,000 miles on the car when I installed it so the bushings were brand new. It wouldn`t have made any difference at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Get the cable bushings at least. You are going to have it all apart anyhow so might as well do it all at once. The shifter bushings you can do later if you want. I did the cable bushings when I installed the plate, but the shifter bushings don't seem neccesary as the OEM parts aren't even broken in yet. Maybe in a few months.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get the cable bushings at least. You are going to have it all apart anyhow so might as well do it all at once. The shifter bushings you can do later if you want. I did the cable bushings when I installed the plate, but the shifter bushings don't seem neccesary as the OEM parts aren't even broken in yet. Maybe in a few months.
Thanks for your input, I'll probably get the cable bushing then. I think shifter bushings make it more notchy? (opposite of what I want...)

·
Registered
367 Posts
We're thrilled to hear that you all are happy with the short shift arm!
You guys know I am a big fan, I`ve got JBR parts from one end of my car to the other (and you guys even posted a pic of my Speed on your IG!). I did, however, enjoy the SSP on the 2016 3 more than I do the one for my Speed. It`s only about six weeks old and I am going to pick up the adjustable shifter from you guys as soon as I can find someone to buy my short shift plate.

The SSP for the 3rd gen feels remarkable. If I were to own another new 3 I wouldn`t hesitate to get the SSP for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How is the shifter feel with this installed? I've driven a few cars with short shifters and bushings; a lot of them were very notchy and felt terrible.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
How is the shifter feel with this installed? I've driven a few cars with short shifters and bushings; a lot of them were very notchy and felt terrible.
What sort of cars, and what is your definition of "short shifter"?

This one feels pretty good, nice and tight, direct and precise. A heavier shift knob makes it even better.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Which shift knob do you have please arathol?

I have Raceseng on my WRX and really like it, especially its heavy weight, but not seeing any ones for a 6M on their site.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
So what's the process for installing the plate? Remove the air box to gain access? How about the shifter base bushings? Are there instructions on removing the covers to gain access? Links to instructions would be great so I'll know what I'm up against ahead of time before diving into something that I might not be able to handle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts