2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to car modding so forgive me for my lack of knowledge and understanding. But I'm here to learn. I did a handful of research and settled on a JBR short shift plate for my 2011 Mazda 3 S GT 2.5 6MT. I coupled that with some Torque aluminum bushings. The short throws are excellent and feels great shifting. But I noticed during hard shifting, specifically from 1st to 2nd, sometimes the gear would lock or not go into 2nd causing me to grind the gear kinda rough. It's happened twice now.

From my research I did read from others that shifting gets a little tougher with the short shift plate though the throws are greatly reduced. Is there an alternative or solution to decrease the force required to change gears? I did see the video about "fine tuning" but did not get a chance to do it yet nor do I really "understand" what it does.

Help with your input and wisdom great Mazda 3 world!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If adjusting the shifter cable doesn't work, contact JBR. They are very helpful and quick to respond to questions.
I tried the video and adjusting in both directions. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is difficult during WOT and even when the clutch is fully depressed sometimes quick shifting into 2nd causes the gear to bounce out and not even engage. I'll give JBR a call/email and hopefully can get a good answer from them. Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same problem and only at WOT going into 2nd. I tried changing fluid to Royal Purple but didn't help. Everything I've found researching this is that I was out shifting the synchro's. I slow down a fraction when shifting into 2nd now and I rarely grind. If it does it will still go into gear vs hitting a wall, which was some scary shiat! This also happened before the JBR short install too. I still shift fast but just hold back a tad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem and only at WOT going into 2nd. I tried changing fluid to Royal Purple but didn't help. Everything I've found researching this is that I was out shifting the synchro's. I slow down a fraction when shifting into 2nd now and I rarely grind. If it does it will still go into gear vs hitting a wall, which was some scary shiat! This also happened before the JBR short install too. I still shift fast but just hold back a tad.
From my research and talking with James I think I have the same issue. It only happens going into 2nd. I slowed my shifting down and it doesn't happen as often anymore. Sometimes I get the slight resistance/bouncing before entering the gear. I still plan to recheck the short shift plate to make sure it's installed fine. I'm wondering if the step involving "checking to make sure the plate is turned clockwise" is a big factor? I didn't exactly check but when I installed the plate it was going anywhere haha.

·
zoom~
847 Posts
On stock setup. If you slam into 2nd hard and fast enough, it grinds sometimes.

2nd can't be rushed. Especially on shorter travel, them synchro and dat shift cable ain't gonn' be happy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On stock setup. If you slam into 2nd hard and fast enough, it grinds sometimes.

2nd can't be rushed. Especially on shorter travel, them synchro and dat shift cable ain't gonn' be happy.

Hahaha loved the explanation. I guess I'm just shifting too fast for the synchro to keep up with me. I've been slowing down shifts and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adjust Ure linkage I have no problems with mine it took a while to get the shifter right where I want it in terms of feel now it shifts like butter even at wot. I have the corksport plate and same year and make of car as you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts