1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I's sure it could be done...but at the cost of radio reception. Additionally, the volme knob would be on the opposite side of the vehicle and at least some of the text for the GUI would be in Japanese.

There might also be complications if you get the Bose/Tech package.

Hmm...come to think of it, it might be less work to get a domestic aftermarket DVD/Nav unit...you'd lose factory Bluetooth and audio controls but you wouldn't have to learn Japanese. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly wouldn't mind learning to read Japanese, I can kinda speak it, but reading it is hard for me.

But yea, I was thinking about a domestic DVD/Nav unit, and don't some of those come with bluetooth capability?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
It's been done. Forgive me for linking to another forum: 2010 Mazda 3 Stereo upgrade.

Yes, you can add aftermarket. Yes, you will lose stock BT capabilities. You will also lose voice-interactive GPS if you have the tech package. You can retain use of steering wheel controls with an adapter. It's all in the thread I linked to.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Heh...I thought for sure you were talking about putting an OEM JDM unit in there. I've seen some really hardcore car audio guys swap out their domestic units for JDM aftermarket head units, supposedly the sound quality of some of the Japanese units far surpasses what's available here in the States.

In any case, as Derrick said, replacemnt of the stock head unit is totally possible. As a matter of fact, I know that Metra already has a dash kit for the 2010 3's available.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about swapping for a JDM unit. I would expect that to be crazy expensive and require some hacking to be usable. I would also go with a metra kit if you go after market. The JDM piece really isn't any better, from what I've heard, and it's A LOT more expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if anyone does this with either a JDM one or a Domestic one, please post some pics and lemme know how it goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
give it time, there are companies out there that will make a model specific nav unit that will fit in and look stock...they've done that for the gen1's....mixed reviews on it and the functionality of integrating all the steering wheel controls and such. i wanted to get one, and know a guy that has it....no issues, but as i said, in reading those units(easily found on ebay) get mixed reviews. I bought a sport for that very reason, i want a bigger nav screen and want other functionality of it....and like to build out my own speaker system. i personally think the bose system in the tech car sounds fine, but have hear many complain about it. Secondly, i just didnt dig the tiny nav screen. At least with mine being a sport, the screen should still function just fine as the stats computer....as far as the bluetooth, many aftermarket double din nav/gps units now have that built in...it will be the interface working with the car that will be the tougher part to overcome. give it 6 months or so, the market will come for all this stuff...just gotta (sadly) be patient.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I will probably wait for one of the OEM fit units for one reason - a 7" screen WITH volume/tuner knobs. Standard double-din units that have 7" screens have no room for knobs, so there are only little chicklet buttons. Being able to quickly adjust the volume is a must for me and I'd rather not step down to a 6.1" display.

·
Registered
144 Posts
<--agrees with Derrick B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts