2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the front and rear jacking point for our cars? Looked all through the owner's manual and could not find anything.

I'm not talking about the pinch weld spots for the emergency jack but for the area in the center of the car where you can use a floor jack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's in there. The "front jacking point" is actually more like the "middle of the car" jacking point. It's actually behind the engine oil pan (that's why I use Rhino ramps). It's a plate of metal with dimples on it (look at the oil change thread and I think pics are there. The rear jacking point is a metal hump by where a rear differential would be (if the car was RWD). Close to the exhaust pipe at the rear sub frame.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
the jack points are a real fun time for the diy'er. The above is correct. To add my limited experience: don't use a small trolley jack. It just doesn't have a wide enough stance and can easily tip.

You might not get a floor jack to the front jack point (it's a plate directly behind the engine). I have two methods. First,I will drive the car onto ramps and then lift with the floor jack. Extra care is needed when lowering back down, has to go back on the ramps. Other way is with a major suspension bushing located directly behind both front wheels.

The next problem is where to put your jack stands. If you're getting under the car with nothing but a hydraulic jack, it's about time to start using your head before you get it crushed.

I've come up with an easy adapter that will use the pinch weld points. It's called a hockey puck :) cut it in half, attach each half to a 2x4 with lag screws from the bottom. Make sure to leave a little gap for the weld lip. Shape the wood as necessary to fit your tools.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The next problem is where to put your jack stands. If you're getting under the car with nothing but a hydraulic jack, it's about time to start using your head before you get it crushed.
That shouldn't be too hard: just use the pinch weld points that you'd normally use for changing a tire; I used to use those for the jackstands on my old car.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That shouldn't be too hard: just use the pinch weld points that you'd normally use for changing a tire; I used to use those for the jackstands on my old car.
The issue isn't the points so much as it is getting jack stands that will fit properly without damaging the welds. That's why I started building adapters. Do note that I live in Canada and we sometimes get the shaft on tools.

And yeah I'm a stickler for safety with jacking up a car. The consequences could be death, so I think it's called for.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Every Mazda owner I've come to met, even with Miatas use the seam welds down the sides, and either the diff case in the rear or for the case of FWD, the cross member brace in the middle to jack up from (I usually just use a wood block on the rear).

As far as jack stands go; subframe up front, weld seams in the rear (the rear is light, so there isn't much to worry about crushing the seams).
There should be cutouts on the sides up front on the seam welds, jack from there.

The issue with jacking from the center is not only do you have to have a jack that likely doesn't exist, or one you don't have, and can't lift because it's so deep in the center of the car, and then still might not have the best way to put in the stands.

Ramps are a good investment though if you really only plan on changing the oil.

Unless you're being lazy and don't put the jack in the right place, it's very difficult to damage the seam rails.
The only cars I've seen that they're damaged on is because they're slammed on the ground and hit them on speed bumps, or let a jack fall or failed and slipped out of place.
Also, by putting the stands under the subframe you're less likely to cause damage over time. (As it's also rather difficult to place both a jack stand and jack when you want to use the same place for both). That's when damage is also caused; if you jack the car up from the middle of the seam rails. Jack where you're supposed to; in that cutout area up front. That's the strongest point of them.
And in the rear, put your jack stands in the cutout area in the rear.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Reactions: Fat Ralphy

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is a useful post.

I have generally used the correct rear jack point but in the front I have done a bunch of things with decent results.

I always use jack stands, the real challenge is getting something under my car in the first place because I am so low.

I need to get some ramps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts