2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll update this as things progress with my project....

I have been planning to do this pretty much since I bought my 2.5L hatch in August 09. Btween watching orangevirus progress with his build, one of the guys at work egging me along for the last year or so and my car being out of warrenty its time to take the plunge....

I am starting out with one of the new Garrett GTX2867R, Cp-e Exhaust manifold, Cobb 3" Down Pipe w/ Cat, and a CXracing intercooler as the base kit. More parts will flow in as the following weeks... tuning solution is still up in the air???

Garrett GTX2867R -$1,599.53 (use code MSF3 in cart ATP Turbo GTX28R Bolt-On Turbo Kit MS3)
Cp-e Exhaust manifold -$664.05 (CPE =LRTmani Turbo Manifold for Mazdaspeed 3 / 6 / CX-7 #MMZRTEMAN - Revolution Performance Motorsports!)
CXracing Intercooler -$575.00 (
)
Cobb 3" Downpipe -$692.00 (
)
TiAL MVR 44mm Wastegate -$362.00 (
)
Cobb Internal Wastegate Bracket - $48.99 (
)
DEI Titanium Turbo Shield -$199.99 (
)
Denso (5339) ITV20 Iridium Spark Plugs- $31.68 (
)

Total to Date No Tax or Shipping -$4671.84

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Subbed to the thread! Lookin forward to watching your progress.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Finally!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sweet!!!

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
I want to see your choice of manifold.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Please keep us updated and I would love to know how much $ you putting into this.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Hmm, pretty kick ass turbo. Wondering why you didn't go with a BNR stage3 (bored out K04 with GT28 parts) and a used oem MS3 ex mani. Still more than enough power and would have been a $1000+ cheaper. Oem MS3 mani isn't a bottleneck unless you move up to a GTX30 series turbo. BNR S3 spools as quick as the GTX2867 and runs happily at 22 psi all the way to redline and makes enough torque to vent the block anywhere along the way.:yes: Subed for the awesomeness of this build.

http://bnrsupercars.com/

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
wing, you should ask Gp werks if you could buy Just the bracket hardware from them, if you can get it cheap you can piece that same s/c diy kit way cheaper.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jackf and OrangeVirus1 should compare turbos side by side and I'll be the judge. lol

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hmm, pretty kick ass turbo. Wondering why you didn't go with a BNR stage3 (bored out K04 with GT28 parts) and a used oem MS3 ex mani. Still more than enough power and would have been a $1000+ cheaper. Oem MS3 mani isn't a bottleneck unless you move up to a GTX30 series turbo. BNR S3 spools as quick as the GTX2867 and runs happily at 22 psi all the way to redline and makes enough torque to vent the block anywhere along the way.:yes: Subed for the awesomeness of this build.

bnrsupercars.com
I looked at the BNR unit. A few of the reasons are the dual ball bearing CHRA and the very broad efficiency range of the GTX2867r. I plan to run low boost(below 10psi) until I build a low compression forged piston/rod engine in the future I've never seen a compressor map for the K04 maybe it would have done the job just fine... I don't know. Also I would have had to buy stock K04 to use as a core plus the $1100 for the BNR stage3. I only paid $1,599.53 plus tax from edgeautosport.com with promo code MSF3. Another plus is they are a local shop so if I have a problem I'll just pay them a visit. It is almost a wash on the price differance between the ATP and BNR turbo unless you alrady own a Speed3 turbo. I would have saved a good chunk of change using the stock manifold but I like the cast 304ss design of the CP-e manifold and the option to go to a external wastegate with minimal fabrication in the future.

Please keep us updated and I would love to know how much $ you putting into this.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I'll update the first post with a price breakdown on the parts tomorrow sometime....

:) my new kit will be @ my house tomorrow :) but I agree no Orangevirus2 allowed
Orange...what did you buy now? ....or is it top secret :)

Reactions: warlord
1 - 20 of 78 Posts