2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already reported to Mazda 2 days ago. Please turn your istop off if driving any manuals... likely going to be a global recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Already reported to Mazda 2 days ago. Please turn your istop off if driving any manuals... likely going to be a global recall.

Hi Everyone!!

I have discovered something massively wrong with intelligent drive technology and manual vehicles. It’s a systemic design fault that puts any manual driver at risk of stalling, and I found it by accident.

The manufacturer is Mazda and they were unaware of the risk this design puts manual drivers in at all. I have raised this and so has my dealer as a safety/tech issue.

I was once an environmental officer for the Roads and Traffic Authority. That means I have pretty extensive exposure to road and vehicle engineering and safety. I’ve been to the crash lab and I have climbed the harbour Bridge, I worked on the Hume Highway upgrade in 2008-9. I also worked as an environment officer on the Westgate Freeway project in 2009/10 and on the NBN project in 2010. In addition my father is a retired pilot and qualified aircraft mechanic.

So I have a very good knowledge of cars and roads- considering I’m “just” a 33 year old female biologist/veterinarian.

I refuse to drive automatics, I want to be in control of my vehicle at all times and only drive manual vehicles.

Wednesday this week;
-Discovered a problem with my car which is a 2017 Mazda cx3 purchased in June 2018. -It is “istopping” at intersections at low speed <5km hr but never quite stationary but when you go into gear and try to accelerate (problem- istop should not be on when accelerating at all).

The dealer at Brighton found no mechanical fault yesterday. The service manager called the technical team at head office and we both discovered the vehicles turn off if going <5km an hour regardless of if your foot is on the accelerator.

The service manager, sales manager and owner of the dealership acknowledged to me this was a serious problem and they would escalate it internally. This has occurred and I also contacted Mazda Head office who are “investigating”.

Essentially, ALL manual drivers trying to use neutral gear to coast to stopped lights or traffic instead of gearing down, and then go back into gear (2nd) at slow speeds under 5km will have the engine cut off by the computer. Meanwhile you have no foot on the break because it’s on the accelerator. Hello sitting duck for a rear ending or t-hit, because for that second or two you have no engine on!!

It’s been reported to my dealer, highway patrol at Moorabbin. Sgt At police advised me to take the vehicle to Mazda as it was not fit for purpose and he was concerned about it killing someone like the Volkswagon transmission failure did- which led to world wide recalls on DSG motor vehicles.

Mazda advised they would escalate internally. But when I went to the dealer to collect an automatic loan car that head office said they would organise, there wasn’t one available. The dealer said that my issue had been reported back to Japan head office but this is not the case- it is floating around Mazda in Melbourne head office Pending “investigation”.

So in the mean time I have a car that could kill me, no permanent solution except to disable the istop hood switch which I have done, but which Mazda have advised is a “modification” they don’t authorise. Mazda could not guarantee this would not affect the vehicle warranty.

Mazda are being very disappointing in failing to immediately put this as a priority investigation. Their response that they don’t sell many manuals anymore was disappointing. If you drive manual istop vehicles you’re at risk of death, but your a minority so not important.

I flagged this before I died in an intersection. Poor form Mazda.

To turn off istop permanently there is a switch in the latch for the hood. There’s a small black cover over the latch components- it pulls off. I’ve checked a Mazda 6, 3 and mine is a cx3.

This was so easy a single 33 year old female with zero engine maintenance experience could do it unassisted with the right tools. Unscrew or bend off the switch, cover so it can’t be activated (dad and I cable tied a plastic zip lock back over mine). Istop thinks the hood is up and will not activate. This will not affect the Australian warranty, I specifically asked Mazda about this and “unofficially” they said was oK.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not sure I agree that this is as big a thing as you say.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that if you are gliding in neutral, feet off all pedals, then the engine cuts out at 5kph?

Why is that so dangerous, as to accelerate, you would have to engage a gear which would require depressing the clutch pedal, which would restart the engine?
And if you wanted to stop, the brake pedal would still have enough servo pressure to work correctly.

I have a 2014 manual 3 and have never experienced any situations where the car didn't do what I told it to do.

·
Registered
690 Posts
"ALL manual drivers trying to use neutral gear to coast to stopped lights or traffic instead of gearing down, and then go back into gear (2nd) at slow speeds under 5km will have the engine cut off by the computer."

I frequently coast to a junction in neutral in my UK Mazda 3 and haven't noticed any issues. My car has an iStop off switch on the dashboard. I disable iStop when I remember since I just find it irritating and don't tend to get stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I drive my Mazda 2 in a similar way. Istop instantly starts the motor as soon as I touch the clutch. That the motor turns off at 5kph is by spec, even stated in the manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure I agree that this is as big a thing as you say.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that if you are gliding in neutral, feet off all pedals, then the engine cuts out at 5kph?

Why is that so dangerous, as to accelerate, you would have to engage a gear which would require depressing the clutch pedal, which would restart the engine?
And if you wanted to stop, the brake pedal would still have enough servo pressure to work correctly.

I have a 2014 manual 3 and have never experienced any situations where the car didn't do what I told it to do.
No you haven’t understood me. The engine is in gear and you at attempting to accelerate and THEN it turns off. You have no ability to move or control you vehicle at all until it turns back on.

Mazda is concerned enough to be investigating. It only takes one death to be a lawsuit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drive my Mazda 2 in a similar way. Istop instantly starts the motor as soon as I touch the clutch. That the motor turns off at 5kph is by spec, even stated in the manual.

One again you have not understood.

You have no foot on the clutch as you are supposed to be accelerating. You’ve already gone back into gear, the engine turned on when you did but then turns off again when you try to accelerate

Trust me, your a strong candidate to get rear ended. Everyone at my dealship was shocked by this discovery and the head office is investigating it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s why it’s a design fault not a functional one. The computers are doing what they have been programmed to do, the programming/design is defective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"ALL manual drivers trying to use neutral gear to coast to stopped lights or traffic instead of gearing down, and then go back into gear (2nd) at slow speeds under 5km will have the engine cut off by the computer."

I frequently coast to a junction in neutral in my UK Mazda 3 and haven't noticed any issues. My car has an iStop off switch on the dashboard. I disable iStop when I remember since I just find it irritating and don't tend to get stuck in traffic.
It’s not turning off while coasting that’s bad, it’s turning off when accelerating. Mazda have admitted to me this is of concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tuning off the istop button will solve this issue. But if you forget one day, you’re risking your life.

By the way, I’m not posting this here as a discussion of whether I’m right. I am, and the fact that my service manager and even dealer principal were horrified at this defect, and the highway patrol police, and Mazda head office technicians etc were all concerned.

They also struggled to understand what I was saying at first, assuming that I was an idiot woman who didn’t know what she was saying.

But once they understood that it’s not when you are slowing at all, but actually when you try to accelerate again at under 5km hr... and this is not a mech fault because the engine is running to design spec, just a human error in programming or design, ... well they are all on board with me.

I’ve studied medicine, I’ve worked in road safety and my father is a helicopter mechanic & pilot. I’m not interested in anyone questioning me- there IS going to be a recall or upgrade at service coming, possible change of button in care allowing istop to be turned off long term.

This is here as a warning, disable istop or risk death at an intersection when your engine will cut out while you intend to be accelerating. Simple.

I have provided photos showing how to disable your istop permanently in a cx3 but have found the same switch in slightly different configurations in a Mazda 2 and 3.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Troll

Reactions: Boyle De Cabbage

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hope you informed Mazda you are in fact a female, and not a male, as many times as you have in this thread.

Do you have a copy of the service receipt? Usually they write the customer complaint and the technician findings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
By the way, I’m not posting this here as a discussion of whether I’m right. I am, and the fact that my service manager and even dealer principal were horrified at this defect, and the highway patrol police, and Mazda head office technicians etc were all concerned.
It's 2018. Why on earth do you *not* have video demonstrating this 'defect'? If this is such a major issue, why don't you reproduce it a few times on camera to warn others about the exact conditions required to generate this problem?

Nobody cares about your education or your gender. Really. Referencing your supposed degrees to grant some sort of authority to the matter is a childish move that people don't buy. The only exception is if you're currently a certified auto mechanic or if you're currently employed in the automotive engineering industry.

Reproduce the problem a few times on video and post it, or gtfo with your baseless random fearmongering over a problem that you can't prove exists.

·
2017 Mazda 3 GT-M 2.0 120
54 Posts
Just tried to replicate this on various occasions this evening with my mazda3.....
No issue, no engine stall.

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
I think if it was a widespread issue somebody would have addressed it by now. Have you ever considered that this is just an isolated issue with a single car?

Waiting for actual proof of this supposed "defect"......until then

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know we should let the troll die, BUT.......

As Meloenie says, I also just went out and tried to replicate the alleged scenario.

Could only go as low as 11kph in second gear (had to apply handbrake to go that slow)

Then in 1st, got down to 8kph with no feet on any pedals. Got down to 3.5kph (with handbrake on), held it at that speed for 20 secs, engine never cut out, accelerated using accelerator, no issues. Tried half a dozen times. Never had the engine cut out ever, in my 3.5 years, with it in gear.

But I'm a male who failed medicine, failed accountancy, did civil engineering for 9 years before joining the police and whose father was a doctor and mum was a teacher. Clearly I am at fault.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.