2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2017 Mazda 3 2.2 turbo diesel.
I am in need of some advice and help :oops:
I was driving down the motorway today when a driver pulled Infront of me and slammed his brakes on. I braked harshly and swerved and missed him narrowly.
Straight after this my engine warning light came on and my turbo stopped working.
I called Mazda and took it to the nearest garage. They've told me that the "flap" on the turbo has broke and I may need a new turbo.
I don't understand how harshly braking could have broken the turbo? Can anyone offer any advice on this? Or could it be something else?
Best regards
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 'flap' could be just about anything. I'm guessing wastegate but I don't know.

Give us some more info.
That's all the information I have at the moment. I am taking it back to Mazda to do a full diagnostics today if they can fit me in.
The one thing I don't like about Mazda is that you never talk to the mechanic just someone on a desk.
I was only told that the flap on the turbo has broke. But I will get more information.
Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so, I got in the car this morning, engine warning light has turned off and the turbo has started working again.
Any ideas what could have been the issue? And do I still need to take it in to Mazda to get a full diagnostics?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Again, no info. How are we to give you any answers without any information?

The problem is your dealer. You're paying for the service. Why are you accepting half assed? Let's be honest here, you don't have any idea what they're doing to your car. They're not telling you and whatever the excuse is at the end of the day you seem to have accepted it. This is how you get ripped off.

For your own sake, start asking questions. Demand answers. Don't pay them until you get the information you are entitled to. A 'flapper' is not part terminology. It's garbage.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,823 Posts
Gotta agree. What does it say on your paperwork? They are usually pretty specific on write ups if parts are removed or installed or any work is done.

If you request to speak to your service technician, they will usually allow it. You just need to ask your service rep about it.
CK

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay so, I got in the car this morning, engine warning light has turned off and the turbo has started working again.
Any ideas what could have been the issue? And do I still need to take it in to Mazda to get a full diagnostics?
Hi Tom,

It is possible you could have had the early warning signs of turbo failure which is known on engines from 2013-2016/7.

I myself had a complete turbo failure while driving at 70 and having to brake hard. When trying to pull away the low end turbo was not there, turns out the the rivet with in the low end turbo is known to shear off destroying the low end, if at a high enough speed it can destroy the complete turbo.

Mazda diagnosed the fault and quoted £2k as a replacement cost, however as i had a full service history with the same garage and had only done 55k miles, the repair and replacement was done FOC. i did mention to them about the potential turbo issue and they said they were aware.

Did you have any other light come on, in particular the scbs and traction lights?

let me know if you need any more info

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tom,

It is possible you could have had the early warning signs of turbo failure which is known on engines from 2013-2016/7.

I myself had a complete turbo failure while driving at 70 and having to brake hard. When trying to pull away the low end turbo was not there, turns out the the rivet with in the low end turbo is known to shear off destroying the low end, if at a high enough speed it can destroy the complete turbo.

Mazda diagnosed the fault and quoted £2k as a replacement cost, however as i had a full service history with the same garage and had only done 55k miles, the repair and replacement was done FOC. i did mention to them about the potential turbo issue and they said they were aware.

Did you have any other light come on, in particular the scbs and traction lights?

let me know if you need any more info

M
Thank you for this information. I have had my car serviced every year without fail and it's done about 49000 miles. I am tempted to get an extended warranty through Mazda just incase.
No other lights came on just the engine warning light. Turbos are meant to last at least 100,000 miles, it's so disappointing. I love the car and has been perfect so far.
If it's a common fault it should be fixed FOC. I don't fancy forking out 2k any time soon.
Thank you again for the help

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,823 Posts
Extended warranties are kind of worthless.

It looks like warranty coverage in the UK is different than in the US. We get a full warranty for 3 years or 36k miles and a powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60k miles.

UK gets a 3 year 60k mile warranty only.

If it's a known issue bring in the TSB and ask your service rep about it.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Extended warranties are kind of worthless.

It looks like warranty coverage in the UK is different than in the US. We get a full warranty for 3 years or 36k miles and a powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60k miles.

UK gets a 3 year 60k mile warranty only.

If it's a known issue bring in the TSB and ask your service rep about it.
CK
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right I have had a full diagnostics and I have the report from Mazda.
They tell me the car needs a full de-coke at £1000
And that I need a new exhaust pressure sensor.
Are they having my fucking pants down or what 😂 🤬
I have only done 47,000 miles.
Please let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tom,
What Taffy Posh said is true, all 2.2d engines be they are in the M6, M3 or the CX do sometimes suffer from the turbo.
problem. Furthermore they are also known for the inlet manifold from the throttlebody and EGR valve to the valves coking up due to excessive town driving and hence EGR use. That decoke used to be free, mine was and the car was no longer under warranty. Think it was done in 2018 on a 2014 M6.

As far as your exhaust sensor, which one, as there is two? You need to ask them to demonstrate why they know it has failed.
One is a differential pressure sensor across the DPF, one of which cost me just under £200 fitted, less than 2 years later the new one alledgedly went, that was replaced under the 2 year parts warranty, then 3 months later the same code came up. At this point the Service Manager smelt a rat and called Mazda UK, they came back to say it was bad injectors, which had been in from the factory , but obviously a bad batch of nozzles. It is not widely known but there have been a few across Europe , but mainly 2013 engine build, so you should be ok on that score being 2017 ( hopefully) and to replace them will make your hair curl, if not fall out.
The other is at the front of the engine which gives overall pressure of the exhaust, plus there arer several exhaust temp probes, an exhaust flow probe. All of these if you have Forscan software and an OBD dongle you can see the readings of.
What neck of the woods are you in?

I know what you mean when you say"I love the car and has been perfect so far."
The trouble is its a good design let down by poor QA of parts bought in. They maybe make the body and buy in parts. They will design the whole car but use off the shelf parts, like Denso Injectors, ECU etc. Denso is a large company 50% owned by Toyota and most of the Japanese manufactureres use their parts. They also designed /invented the QR code. The Japanese car companies often source a lot of their parts from Chinese companies which are not quite so hot on QA and often cut back on original design scantlings and manufacturing methods to save money or increase profits, unlike Japanese cars of yesteryear which were non destructable and so reliable compared to US & UK cars.

To US posters we are not given the TSB in the UK unlike yourselves, like the warranties they are not very forthcoming.

I never deal with the monkey turning the handle ie Agent or Service receptionist but the Organ Grinder himself as in the Service Manager. Some of these 'agents' are glorified salesmen, and only parrot what the mechanic has told them, they are also on a commission to screw as much out of the customer as possible and if asked a technical question are lost or give you a lot of BS.

I would agree with you, if something fails before its time and its common fault then it should be replaced FOC as its a design or manufacturing failure rather than a normal wear part, like brakes etc, but since Covid, Mazda EU has become quite greedy reducing all their contributions to failures outside of warranty. It seems they employ 3000 staff in their new bulding in Kent. “Within Mazda UK we want our people to deliver a great customer experience, so the environment in the building reflects this, enabling our people to deliver on that customer expectation.” commented Mazda’s HR Director, Chris Clark.
Who writes this rubbish as they don't deliver, just argue the toss and write fairy stories.
Goodness knows what they all do, but thats why dealers charge such high prices to feed the beast.

Of course your dealer is in the middle of this, he wants your business but doesn't get the financial support from Mazda UK when its a poor design/manufacturing problem as yours is.
Good luck in your quest and hope things work out for you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom,
What Taffy Posh said is true, all 2.2d engines be they are in the M6, M3 or the CX do sometimes suffer from the turbo.
problem. Furthermore they are also known for the inlet manifold from the throttlebody and EGR valve to the valves coking up due to excessive town driving and hence EGR use. That decoke used to be free, mine was and the car was no longer under warranty. Think it was done in 2018 on a 2014 M6.

As far as your exhaust sensor, which one, as there is two? You need to ask them to demonstrate why they know it has failed.
One is a differential pressure sensor across the DPF, one of which cost me just under £200 fitted, less than 2 years later the new one alledgedly went, that was replaced under the 2 year parts warranty, then 3 months later the same code came up. At this point the Service Manager smelt a rat and called Mazda UK, they came back to say it was bad injectors, which had been in from the factory , but obviously a bad batch of nozzles. It is not widely known but there have been a few across Europe , but mainly 2013 engine build, so you should be ok on that score being 2017 ( hopefully) and to replace them will make your hair curl, if not fall out.
The other is at the front of the engine which gives overall pressure of the exhaust, plus there arer several exhaust temp probes, an exhaust flow probe. All of these if you have Forscan software and an OBD dongle you can see the readings of.
What neck of the woods are you in?

I know what you mean when you say"I love the car and has been perfect so far."
The trouble is its a good design let down by poor QA of parts bought in. They maybe make the body and buy in parts. They will design the whole car but use off the shelf parts, like Denso Injectors, ECU etc. Denso is a large company 50% owned by Toyota and most of the Japanese manufactureres use their parts. They also designed /invented the QR code. The Japanese car companies often source a lot of their parts from Chinese companies which are not quite so hot on QA and often cut back on original design scantlings and manufacturing methods to save money or increase profits, unlike Japanese cars of yesteryear which were non destructable and so reliable compared to US & UK cars.

To US posters we are not given the TSB in the UK unlike yourselves, like the warranties they are not very forthcoming.

I never deal with the monkey turning the handle ie Agent or Service receptionist but the Organ Grinder himself as in the Service Manager. Some of these 'agents' are glorified salesmen, and only parrot what the mechanic has told them, they are also on a commission to screw as much out of the customer as possible and if asked a technical question are lost or give you a lot of BS.

I would agree with you, if something fails before its time and its common fault then it should be replaced FOC as its a design or manufacturing failure rather than a normal wear part, like brakes etc, but since Covid, Mazda EU has become quite greedy reducing all their contributions to failures outside of warranty. It seems they employ 3000 staff in their new bulding in Kent. “Within Mazda UK we want our people to deliver a great customer experience, so the environment in the building reflects this, enabling our people to deliver on that customer expectation.” commented Mazda’s HR Director, Chris Clark.
Who writes this rubbish as they don't deliver, just argue the toss and write fairy stories.
Goodness knows what they all do, but thats why dealers charge such high prices to feed the beast.

Of course your dealer is in the middle of this, he wants your business but doesn't get the financial support from Mazda UK when its a poor design/manufacturing problem as yours is.
Good luck in your quest and hope things work out for you. Keep us posted.
Thank you so much for all your help. I am from Nottinghamshire. To be more precise forest town. The engine warning light still hasn't come again so I am unsure weather to keep driving it as is.
My thoughts at the moment is heavy braking caused a sensor to come loose or judder causing the fault. (Wishful thinking maybe)
At the moment I am just waiting for the best hybrid car to come out, which has amazing reliability. I like and aim to have a car for 7years+. Just a shame this car has started having issues halfway through that.
I don't do a lot of town driving really. The first 3 years of my car's life I was always doing 40miles to work and back and that was usually on open roads at 5am. So my car shouldn't have ever built up a lot of carbon even if it is a common fault. I will find out which sensor they think it is. That will be a phone call tomorrow.
Are there ways of potentially cleaning the engine without stripping it, i.e. adding a preservative or cleaner?
I do have a feeling that if I have a genuine fault on the car, and I gave my car to Mazda, it would still come out with a fault. I don't fancy and can't afford to get issues fixed which aren't there.
I lost my job through covid and took a huge pay drop in my new career. So at this moment in time I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I'm not usually a tight fisted fucker 🤣

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tom,
You could be waiting a long time for good hybrid car to,come out, by the time they have gone through their teething troubles they will be banning them if this EV thing comes about. I am sure manufacturers are looking at hydrogen as a fuel to retain an engine. If you change your car everytime you have to spend a little money then you will never have any money. Sensors work out at £200 fitted as they have to diagnose the problem , fitting them is usually a quick job, but they run at up to £120 each at a dealer, but you can buy Bosch or other OEM ones on the internet I have noticed.
Speak to the Service Manager, not the flunky.

I doubt if a sensor would come loose, normally the opposite, you cannot remove them and the wiring clips is pretty good also. I wouldn't touch buying extra warranty either,you are better putting the premium in the bank for a rainy day when something does need changing. The warranty companies will wriggle out of paying as they are in it for the money they can fleece out of gullible customers.
I think you have to trust your dealer up to a point, normally they are better than your backstreet garage as they are more familiar with the problems. If the Service Manager has allowed you to continue to drive it then its not as bad as you think. If there is no code up then its not that serious and even then with some codes they are still driveable as I did with DPF code up but it was regening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts