2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 Mazda3 Sport GT. I HATE and I mean I'm willing to get rid of the car as fast as I bought it if I cannot figure out how to shut off the radar cruise and smart braking permanently. My local dealer has a case open with Mazda tech's however can I pull a fuse, disable the camera, anything? Anyone have any ideas? I am aware I can go into settings and do it every single time, but that is a major pain in the ass - why not just have a button or a setting that is actually a setting and stays permanent when the car is turned off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only had my 2019 Hatchback AWD a few months but isn't there a button to the left of steering wheel to turn it all off or am I thinking of my other car. I went into settings to turn off the stupid lane departure thing and it stayed off and never came back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe there is a button on the far left side of the steering wheel (a car with a circle around it) that you can press that will turn off a bunch of the safety features, but I'm not sure which ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can disable the radar cruise control in the infotainment system. I think you go to Settings-->Vehicle settings or Safety Settings.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Mazda3 Sport GT. I HATE and I mean I'm willing to get rid of the car as fast as I bought it if I cannot figure out how to shut off the radar cruise and smart braking permanently. My local dealer has a case open with Mazda tech's however can I pull a fuse, disable the camera, anything? Anyone have any ideas? I am aware I can go into settings and do it every single time, but that is a major pain in the ass - why not just have a button or a setting that is actually a setting and stays permanent when the car is turned off.
radar cruise and smart braking (I believe) use the radar sensor in the bumper, not the camera, though there is an internal connection between those two systems.

Can you disable them? Use the button as described in the manual to toggle off some of the features, don't turn on the adaptive cruise control and it won't be on, drive in heavy rain or bright sunlight (that sometimes turns off all systems) or maybe disconnect the wiring to the front radar sensor (you will definitely get some warning).

But a better answer is to test drive until you are satisfied it is the right car to buy before you buy it, because that saves you from taking a loss while trading it in for a GTI (the cheap lower trim ones, not the Autobahn edition) or a Hyundai Elantra GT N Line (without the tech package) which will give you a similar size hatch without any of the safety equipment that the IIHS thinks is great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can turn off cruise control completely. But you cannot turn off just the adaptive cruise control feature. At least that is how my car works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The issue you have may be caused by a problem with the system. Mazda have done a recall on the cars to make this less sensitive. I had an issue where I was in the middle lane and there was a car stopped in the left hand lane ready to turn left and the car jammed on the brakes as I approached and nearly caused the car following me to hit me (his fault because he was tailgating). Since the recall was done I haven't had this problem.
One of the buttons on the steering wheel controls the sensitivity of the radar cruise control. You can make it take effect at a long way off, at a shorter distance, at an even shorter distance and at a very short distance. Initially I had mine set to the safest setting and found that the car was braking when I was about 100m away from the next car. Not just slowing down but actively braking.

I think that you also can turn off the radar component of the cruise control in the settings in the infotainment screen under safety settings.
It would be nice if they had a menu map of all of the infotainment settings screens so that you can more easily find such settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
radar cruise and smart braking (I believe) use the radar sensor in the bumper, not the camera, though there is an internal connection between those two systems.

Can you disable them? Use the button as described in the manual to toggle off some of the features, don't turn on the adaptive cruise control and it won't be on, drive in heavy rain or bright sunlight (that sometimes turns off all systems) or maybe disconnect the wiring to the front radar sensor (you will definitely get some warning).

But a better answer is to test drive until you are satisfied it is the right car to buy before you buy it, because that saves you from taking a loss while trading it in for a GTI (the cheap lower trim ones, not the Autobahn edition) or a Hyundai Elantra GT N Line (without the tech package) which will give you a similar size hatch without any of the safety equipment that the IIHS thinks is great.
"But a better answer is to test drive until you are satisfied it is the right car to buy" sounds good but it takes some time just to work out what all the features are in the car. The manual is VERY wordy and so is almost useless - there is no "quick start" guide to quickly tell you about all of the features and what you can turn on and off.
I drove the car 4 times for about 30 mins each time before I purchased it but it wasn't until a few weeks AFTER I had purchased it that I found the issue with the radar cruise control that causes severe braking at some times when it shouldn't.
As well, I was reversing out of a car park one day (and carefully watching the rear view camera) and all of a sudden "BANG". I was SURE that I was still about 30cm away from the car at the rear of me. So, I thought "Oh no! I've hit something" so I got out to take a look and "NOTHING!" The car had braked prematurely and SUDDENLY. It felt exactly as if I HAD hit something. It certainly got my heart beating! It annoyed me at the time - but then again... would I rather that the car brakes suddenly so that it FEELS like I crashed but didn't or would I rather that the car allowed me to actually crash into the car at the rear? I guess I can put up with that one because almost every accident I've had in my driving career has been at parking speeds where I have bumped into something I couldn't see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts