2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriend claims the Mazda 3 engine and the BMW 3 engine are the same, I don't believe her, as I know Mazda is owned (partially owned?) by Ford, and to my knowledge Chrysler wiTech MicroPod 2, neither has anything to do with BMW, but she is absolutely adamant that the Mazda 3 engine is made by BMW

·
Registered
127 Posts
My girlfriend claims the Mazda 3 engine and the BMW 3 engine are the same, I don't believe her, as I know Mazda is owned (partially owned?) by Ford, and to my knowledge, neither has anything to do with BMW, but she is absolutely adamant that the Mazda 3 engine is made by BMW
Well she's wrong, Mazda make their own engines (with partnership from Toyota) and BMW make their own engines.

And the partnership between mazda and ford is on a minimum now, they just share technology plans, but thats that.

The newer models (KODO Design) of mazda are 97% mazda and 3% Ford, as far as i know it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, the Mini engine and the 2.0T in the X1 are the only transverse engines available in the US, and since, you know, they have a turbo, they're not the same as the Mazda. Our other car is a 328i, with a different, older, and transverse mounted 2.0T, and I assure you, it is nothing like either the Mazda 2.0L or 2.5L. It actually revs, makes a good sound (outside of idle) and is nearly as efficient as my 2.5L in a much heavier car. I'd swap that engine in a second, it's honestly much nicer than the MS3 motor and dynos stronger than the official 240hp. Looking forward to the new B48 motor in the 330i and others.

I will say that I drove the new Mini quite a bit, and the 2.0T in it is a bit of let down. The 1.5L 3 banger is actually more fun and revs better, if I'd bought a Mini, it would have had the three cylinder.

But in summary, Ford no longer owns a controlling interest in Mazda and has never owned any part of privately held BMW and BMW and Mazda certainly don't share any engines.

·
Registered
510 Posts
transverse mounted. so you guys have x drive across all models in the US?? quite lucky i must say, but then again. what's a beemer without rwd. the best engine imo is my previous s65 v8. miss that way too much. the sound of that engine. :'(

honestly speaking, i don't see how she could mix bmw with nissan. sure, renault owns stake in nissan. but currently i don't see any european dealers owning other stakes in japanese company and not many people i would say knows about the renault-nissan link..

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yeah, the Mini engine and the 2.0T in the X1 are the only transverse engines available in the US, and since, you know, they have a turbo, they're not the same as the Mazda. Our other car is a 328i, with a different, older, and transverse mounted 2.0T, and I assure you, it is nothing like either the Mazda 2.0L or 2.5L. It actually revs, makes a good sound (outside of idle) and is nearly as efficient as my 2.5L in a much heavier car. I'd swap that engine in a second, it's honestly much nicer than the MS3 motor and dynos stronger than the official 240hp. Looking forward to the new B48 motor in the 330i and others.

I will say that I drove the new Mini quite a bit, and the 2.0T in it is a bit of let down. The 1.5L 3 banger is actually more fun and revs better, if I'd bought a Mini, it would have had the three cylinder.
That 2.0T in the F56 is intentionally, grossly detuned. They've to give room for JCW, GP3 upgrades...:) I still prefer the raw R53s...anytime.:)
Now, we're way off topic. Lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts