2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious, not worried... I often hear the comment "why did you get a manual the clutch is so expensive and it goes out uber quick dood" ... lol I read the warranty booklet that came with the car, but is the whole clutch covered? not quite sure how many parts make up the clutch... Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The amount of wear depends on how you drive. Some people can wear out a clutch in no time.
I have a manual Honda (my Mazda 3 is automatic just to make the wife happy) and its done over 130,000miles and there is no evidence that it is failing yet. Don't "ride" the clutch when you are at the traffic lights and avoid downshifting unless you have to. Aggressive driving does not help either, so if you drive normally you will not have to worry about your clutch for a long time. Enjoy the manual shift it's much more pleasurable to drive than the auto.
Don't worry the Service Department knows if the clutch is faulty or is damaged due to wear and tear or poor clutch operation by the driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know, thanks for the feed back guys!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
If you make friends with the guys at the dealership...they can make it whatever they want...lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just drive the piss out of it and replace it with a better clutch when it goes out. When my clutch finally went out in my 03 Cobra, I replaced it with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. If I had known that it was going to be that much better than stock, I would have made it one of my first mods. So, fry the stocker, and get a good one. Don't baby your car just to save the clutch or you won't enjoy driving it. JMO from personal experiences.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
How was it better than your stock clutch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lighter pedal effort (40lb. pedal effort on the stock 03 Cobra), which wouldn't apply here. It also had smoother engagement, less chatter, cleaner disengagement allowing better WOT shifts, and better power handling. It didn't slip at all when changing gears, all the power went to the ground when you let the clutch out under hard acceleration.

If you're planning to keep the car stock, power handling and everything may be fine on the stock clutch, but I have noticed that it is less than smooth in stop and go traffic. I won't keep my car stock, and the OEM clutch will start to show it's limits sooner or later. As I said, JMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMO downshifting isn't hard on the clutch if done properly. One should read up on rev matching and all of its benefits. Something else people do that really affects the clutch over time is when your driving long stretches in the city or on highway leave your right hand off the the shifter, some people tend to rest their arm or hand there and is a serious no no. Same thing applies to leaving your foot to rest of the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The amount of wear depends on how you drive. Some people can wear out a clutch in no time.
I have a manual Honda (my Mazda 3 is automatic just to make the wife happy) and its done over 130,000miles and there is no evidence that it is failing yet. Don't "ride" the clutch when you are at the traffic lights and avoid downshifting unless you have to. Aggressive driving does not help either, so if you drive normally you will not have to worry about your clutch for a long time. Enjoy the manual shift it's much more pleasurable to drive than the auto.
Don't worry the Service Department knows if the clutch is faulty or is damaged due to wear and tear or poor clutch operation by the driver.
you have the auto... do you use the 'manual' shift much? I do and enjoy it. in fact the braking experience is way better and solid when you have it in manual mode... plus the car will auto downshift for you and put it in 1st when your at a stop. Its about as enjoyable as an auto gets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts