2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

I forgot my keys in my pants and it was about to get drained in the washing machine when, at the last moment, by luck i managed to stop it from getting drowned and dead :p

Then I thought what if i had left them in the washing machine?

Would the keys be then rendered un-operational and then trigger the need to buy a new one or is it waterproof (honestly i dont think so)?

What are your views on this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's probably designed with slight water resistance in mind. It can probably take a splash here or there, but I certainly wouldn't submerge it. Your key would probably be toast if it went through a wash cycle. With that said, I have no data behind that, and I hope to never try it! :wink2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably designed with slight water resistance in mind. It can probably take a splash here or there, but I certainly wouldn't submerge it. Your key would probably be toast if it went through a wash cycle. With that said, I have no data behind that, and I hope to never try it! :wink2:
lol

i was about to get that answer but luckily i didnt end up being the guinea pig for this one hehe

still it would be nice to knw, then in case it happened we would know what to do.. im sure creating a duplicate electronic key should be damn expensive

·
Registered
92 Posts
From the owner's manual:
To avoid damage to the key (transmitter), DO NOT:
  • Drop the key.
  • Get the key wet.
  • Disassemble the key.
  • Expose the key to high temperatures on places such as the dashboard or hood, under direct sunlight.
  • Expose the key to any kind of magnetic field.
  • Place heavy objects on the key.
  • Put the key in an ultrasonic cleaner.
  • Put any magnetized objects close to the key.
Figured I'd post it anyway. :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I'm not sure about the 3rd gen keyless fobs but the 2nd gens, mine has been thru the waster & dryer 3 times, and 1 time in a pool. I'm apparently clumsy when it comes to laundry lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've managed to keep mine out of the washer apart from that once in the linked thread. Still working fine.

So, there's a decent enough likelihood that it WILL survive the wash. No guarantees of course.

·
Registered
372 Posts
From the owner's manual:
To avoid damage to the key (transmitter), DO NOT:
  • Get the key wet.
A lot of stuff like this is for CYA purposes, so people don't complain when they break things. It doesn't mean the device can't handle it to some extent. Every keyfob I've seen is made to be waterproof to some extent; I wouldn't go diving with one of course, but splashes shouldn't hurt them, and lots of people have put them through washers without destroying them. On my (non-Mazda) key for my other car, I had to open it up to change the battery and it was impressively built with rubber seals. However, rubber does degrade over time, and even if it's new there's always the chance that a small manufacturing defect in a seal will make it so your key is the one that doesn't survive the washing machine, so it's better to avoid testing out this ability, and that's why they put this in the manual (so they don't have to buy you a new key when you wash yours!).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey i didnt expect that the key would survive some unintentional water adventures.

Thats great to know :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi friends,

I forgot my keys in my pants and it was about to get drained in the washing machine when, at the last moment, by luck i managed to stop it from getting drowned and dead :p

Then I thought what if i had left them in the washing machine?

Would the keys be then rendered un-operational and then trigger the need to buy a new one or is it waterproof (honestly i dont think so)?

What are your views on this?
I actually completely forgot my keys in my coat pocket and ran it through the wash, I freaked out and tested it by unlocking and locking my car...so far it works! Definitely will be checking from here on out 🤦🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The thing with getting electronics wet isn't so much the water. Pure deionized and demineralized water is not conducive or corrosive. It's all the impurities that is the problem. When the water dries it can leave behind mineral deposits that are very conducive.

With this in mind, I'd take the FOB apart and remove the battery and then let it dry out. After that, I'd clean it with electronics cleaner or some high concentration rubbing alcohol and then let that dry. You can get 99% pure rubbing alcohol at the drug store.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts