2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the audio to remain on even after you've driven the car, stopped, and turned it off? I remember some GM & Ford car rentals that would leave the radio on for 60 seconds or until you opened the drivers door, it would then turn off.

Does Mazda offer this programming?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it possible for the audio to remain on even after you've driven the car, stopped, and turned it off? I remember some GM & Ford car rentals that would leave the radio on for 60 seconds or until you opened the drivers door, it would then turn off.

I would love this. It was one of the first sad things I noticed. My dad's explorer has this feature and it's great. Anyone have any ideas on a workaround?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Closest I can find is if you hold the button on the shifter (automatic model) when you hit the start/stop button when parked the car will go to the accessory mode instead of turning all the way off.

You just need to remember to press the button twice before getting out of the car. Once to go to the next power level (Fan and windows can run) and then press again to turn it off completely.

I don't know how you would do this (or if you can) in a manual transmission.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Manual transmission does not have any shortcut :(. On the auto, as long as the button is pressed or you're not in park it will switch to accessory mode.

I've just gotten used to pressing the button twice quickly if I want to listen to the radio a bit when I park.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Manual transmission does not have any shortcut :(. On the auto, as long as the button is pressed or you're not in park it will switch to accessory mode.

I've just gotten used to pressing the button twice quickly if I want to listen to the radio a bit when I park.
Seconded :(

I'm always always listening to something on my phone via bluetooth, so the "press the button twice quickly" thing doesn't work so well, since it then retrains bluetooth for ~10 seconds or whatever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seconded :(

I'm always always listening to something on my phone via bluetooth, so the "press the button twice quickly" thing doesn't work so well, since it then retrains bluetooth for ~10 seconds or whatever.
What about using iStop to stop the engine and then shift to first gear without pressing the clutch! The engine will stay off and the radio will not shut down. Before leaving the car you just have to press the Power button once!

·
Registered
215 Posts
What is iStop? I don't think I have that.
It's a fuel saving tech that turns off the engine when stopped but keeps fuel in the pistons to quick-start when you accelerate. I don't have it on my iGT, and I'm not sure if it's even an option in the US.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's a fuel saving tech that turns off the engine when stopped but keeps fuel in the pistons to quick-start when you accelerate. I don't have it on my iGT, and I'm not sure if it's even an option in the US.
THe i-Eloop system is only for the S GT right now with an automatic, so there's no issue for it right now. Maybe Mazda found a fix for the 2015, since on the forums, there's talk about having manuals for 2015 for all trim levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
THe i-Eloop system is only for the S GT right now with an automatic, so there's no issue for it right now. Maybe Mazda found a fix for the 2015, since on the forums, there's talk about having manuals for 2015 for all trim levels.
The i-ELOOP is not the same thing as i-stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is iStop? I don't think I have that.
Yeah, sorry. Didn't know it is not available in the US. Here in Europe the M3s are standad equiped with this. You can use it as a workaround for the radio to stay on. Its a start/stop system and it will turn off the engine when you are standing in neutral and pushing the break. The engine will start again when pushing the clutch. But if the engine is off and you change to 1st gear without pushing the clutch the system will leave the engine off but everything else stays on!
Right. i-ELOOP is a regenerative system that converts kinetic to electric energy while decelerating to reduce the work of the generator. iStop is just an simple start/stop system to turn off the engine while standing at intersections/lights.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ah, that would be a perfect workaround. Bummer. My buddy's Civic Hybrid has a similar system.

And Goddamn do I hate all the stupid i-Name names. You're not Apple, Mazda, and it's been annoying when Apple does it for 5 years now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right. i-ELOOP is a regenerative system that converts kinetic to electric energy while decelerating to reduce the work of the generator.
This is a bit misleading, since the generator is still doing all the work. The i-ELOOP means that the generator charges a capacitor which in turn charges the battery. The idea is that when you let off the throttle and are not burning any fuel the generator will kick in and start charging the capacitor. The generator is not charging the battery directly because doing so in this fashion (short intense bursts) would wear it out relatively quickly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh, dang, you're right! I always thought that i-ELOOP encompasses the idling stop tech, so I never bothered to research into it since I only knew the US market.

You're right about it for the US market, though - there hasn't been any talks to bring i-stop over. It would be such a good feature to bring for a compact car on its price range - nothing else would have it in this market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts