2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock tires on my 3 are 60 series (205/60/16) but now that I’m getting new tires I’m considering getting 55 series tire. The current 60’s have a very tall sidewall, and am hoping for a bit crisper handling with the smaller sidewalk 55 series tires have.

I expect with the 55’z having a slightly smaller circumference, the speedometer will be slightly off. But is there any thing else I should worry about? I’ve read that if there’s too much of a change in tire height, the stability/traction control/ABS could malfunction.

Does anyone on here have experience with this? And are there any tire vendors that will put different size tires than what the manufacturer specifies?

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
Putting a lower profile tire, while keeping everything else the same, on your car will affect: gas mileage and engine/tranny wear. Your speedO will read higher, so you will be going slower. It is very easy to "reset" TPMS, if the indicator light comes on.

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
You can go with a 55s Just go with a 215/55R16. That will give you the same diameter and really wont throw your speedo off
Not quite the same, it mostly depends on the tire manufacture. I have found this website helpful https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Tire Size Comparison Calculator

Size 1 205/60/16

Size 2 215/55/16

Size 3 225/55/16

Size 1 Size 2 Size 3
Diameter 25.7 25.3 25.7

Revs/Mile 786 797 784

I have the 225/55/16's on my 3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that 215//55/16’s are so close to the diameter. Did not know that, but it makes sense. Sure with the 215/55’s I’d benefit from the wider tire having more contact with the road, but it would still have the big sidewalk like my current tires, correct? I’m mostly interested in having a shorter sidewall in hopes of a bit better road-feel. and faster response to the turn of the wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing a quick search on benefits of shorter sidewalks, this is what I have in mind

“The shorter sidewall will yield better acceleration due to the increased gearing effect (smaller diameter). It will be lighter, so less unsprung mass (better reaction to changes in load) and less inertia (better acceleration and braking). The shorter sidewall will also make the tire stiffer, which will make the tire react faster to inputs (steering, brake, throttle)”

Tho with the trade off bring it “ may also make the tire less compliant to adhere to road surface imperfections.“

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Sure with the 215/55’s I’d benefit from the wider tire having more contact with the road, but it would still have the big sidewalk like my current tires, correct? I’m mostly interested in having a shorter sidewall in hopes of a bit better road-feel. and faster response to the turn of the wheel.
Yes, the sidewall will be almost the same height as the 205-60s. The 215s will have about 5mm less sidewall height. So, not a lot of difference.
If you want to use a lower profile tire your best bet is get larger diameter rims to keep the overall diameter close to what it should be.
That being said the OEM tires leave a lot to be desired, and there are not a lot of decent performance oriented tires in the sizes you want.

·
Registered
325 Posts
....hopes of a bit better road-feel. and faster response to the turn of the wheel.

If this is all you want (not larger rims or tires), get difrerent tires with same size that have stiff side wall like the Michellin PS A/S. You will feel the difference, plus better traction.

Or save your money and just increase the pressure to see if you like it better first.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm running 205/55-16 and I like the change better than the 60 profile for handling/feel/ride and look... I've posted before on the speedo... here's how it was with the 14 an 18

I had a 2014 and now a 2018 when I change my tire size...

205-60/16 - Speedo 120km/h - GPS - 122km/h
205-55/16 - Speedo 120km/h - GPS - 118km/h
225-45/17 - Speedo 120km/h - GPS - 119km/h

I found it quite surprising that the speedo reads low with stock size tires... rare as normally they show you 1/2km lower than actual. Really looks like they change from 205/55 to 205/60 without changing the speedo calibration. The 2012 we've got that comes with 205/55 stock reads the same as above...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting the speed with various tire sizes.. do you happen to have a pic of your car with the 55 series tires on it? I’m afraid of it making the car look like it’s in roller skates, with the gap between the fender and tire being too big.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for posting the speed with various tire sizes.. do you happen to have a pic of your car with the 55 series tires on it? I’m afraid of it making the car look like it’s in roller skates, with the gap between the fender and tire being too big.
I can't seem to post pics now but here's a pic with with Enkei's on... 225/45-17 wheel gap is same size as 205/55-16's....

·
Registered
401 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the speedo automatically adjusts itself on these cars.
I've seen that posted a few times but didn't experience that with any of my cars and tire changes... as well I'm interested if others have the speedo reading low like I posted about earlier, prob a better idea to start a thread with that comment / question

1 - 16 of 16 Posts