2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm gonna do the oil change myself,
watched the youtube many times and I think I'm ready for that now.

But here's one question,
I'll use the car ramps to lift the front side of the car then the car will not be flat from the ground.
Is it OK to drain the old engine oil in this posture?

As you know most service shop lift the car flat, I'm not sure if it's the best posture or to save the time.

Somebody has any idea?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,704 Posts
Little different than doing the trans gear oil as you fill it a set amount. As long as you use the correct amount, you will be good.

The gear oil is filled until it reaches the fill hole so, the car needs to be level for that.
CK

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I do it that way often and prefer it. Why? Your drain plug at the back of the oil pan. Raise the front and it'll drain a little more out.

I usually fill it around half way on the dipstick, back off the ramps and let it run for a minute. Turn it off and give it a few minutes for the oil to drain down into the sump and then check again. Top up as necessary.

·
Working Class Hero
4,099 Posts
I try to change the oil at the same time I swap the tires. Front gets raised, wheels off, oil drained, filter changed, wheels back on, oil filled. Nice to have a little extra room to move while under the car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,495 Posts
My street is on a slope
So with just enough space i squeese my chunky body
under the drain plug and remove it ,push and jump in
and handbrake it to stop sign. Just long enough road for 4.3 litres
The multiple lines are visible from space ;) kidding

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
My street is on a slope
So with just enough space i squeese my chunky body
under the drain plug and remove it ,push and jump in
and handbrake it to stop sign. Just long enough road for 4.3 litres
The multiple lines are visible from space ;) kidding
You could do a dirty 30s oil change. They used to park it on a storm drain and pull the plug.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,495 Posts
You could do a dirty 30s oil change. They used to park it on a storm drain and pull the plug.
I kinda did that when my oil filter housing cracked while driving on the highway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts