2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My customers is mainly looking at Honda civics. mazda 3's.

Honda civics: 2008, 2010-2013 Mercedes BENZ C5
Mazda 3: 2010-2013

My customers can only afford 9-10k. My customers is currently in college and plan on getting a new car in 4-6 years, so it doesn't need to last forever.

Is this a bad idea? The cars have good consumer reports, and my customers know honda civics are knowing for lasting long.

So would it be bad to get a car with 80k+ thousand miles? or potentially 100k?

Thanks in advance. And any other used car buying advice you have for my customers would be great!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
not as long as the car is well kept and inspected for any major issues prior to purchase, I have owned many high mileage cars that had over 100k miles that ran just fine, hell I had a 96 sentra with over 300k that ran like a top. my 03 protégé 5 had 176k miles when it got hit and totaled it was still running strong, I had just redone the suspension, that was a major let down. find one with service history, if you are their trusted mechanic have a look over it on the lift or if not have a shop they know and trust inspect it prior to purchase on a lift for leaks, or anything unseen on a test drive. I would possibly advise against a civic of those model years due to the numerous paint issues with them, and the si models have transmission issues that can be a pain to deal with. biggest common issue on the 3 is motor mount under the coolant tank failing and leaking but those are cheap to buy and fix. since he is in college and probably on a limited budget advise against factory installed HID lights as they can get rather expensive if problems arise and are anywhere from $50-150 a bulb to replace, have him stick to standard halogens. (so just avoid mazda 3 GT trims that have these) I had 2 mazdas while in college and they are great budget cars in college, fun to get around in and easy on the wallet

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you buy a car with high mileage make sure it comes with service records to make sure it has had scheduled maintenance which means parts were replaced when worn out. Another thing to try to find out is what kind of miles, highway or city, the car has. As if it is highway miles the engine will be used less than if it was city miles. Example, a car driven 60,000 miles on highway speeds of 60 mph would mean the engine has been in use 1,000 hours. If it were city miles at 30mph the engine would be in use 2000 hours. Cars are the only vehicles without an engine hour usage meters. Planes have them and boats have them. I think cars should have them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i brought my 2010 Mazda 3 with 138,000 miles now has 156,000 miles on it and not much problems still pretty reliable but then i know how to fix cars so any thing goes bad i know how to fix it. Its look like the previous owner took good care of it. I would say high mileage car can be great depending on how the previous owner looked after the car maintenance wise.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
If you buy a car with high mileage make sure it comes with service records to make sure it has had scheduled maintenance which means parts were replaced when worn out. Another thing to try to find out is what kind of miles, highway or city, the car has. As if it is highway miles the engine will be used less than if it was city miles. Example, a car driven 60,000 miles on highway speeds of 60 mph would mean the engine has been in use 1,000 hours. If it were city miles at 30mph the engine would be in use 2000 hours. Cars are the only vehicles without an engine hour usage meters. Planes have them and boats have them. I think cars should have them.
Reading that reminded me, I need to jot down the mileage and date I did my rear calipers and redid pads/rotors on just this weekend. It slipped my mind, as I was racing the cold front Saturday, got done about 1 hr before it started getting really cold. Right rear caliper started to get sticky and was causing some minor issues mainly weird pedal feel and travel.

To the OP if you analyze this thread already you can kinda get an idea, cars will run a long while, especially mazdas and most Japanese cars in general, if properly looked after. Reading multiple forums for the type of car you want give you an idea of how the owners of said cars typically act and treat them. I would say the Mazda community is one of the better ones for keeping cars maintained. Also he is in college so he will most likely wreck the car sooner than later, or trade it soon after graduation anyways so he does not need a flashy new ride, he just needs something reliable to get him from point a to point b. I would not hesitate to buy a high mileage mazda, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru that has service records and has everything in order such as good fluid change intervals, regular stops to get things checked, decent tires (unless budget allows for new ones at time of purchase) and a 3rd party shop I can trust verifies my findings that the car is in good shape.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Reading that reminded me, I need to jot down the mileage and date I did my rear calipers and redid pads/rotors on just this weekend. It slipped my mind, as I was racing the cold front Saturday, got done about 1 hr before it started getting really cold. Right rear caliper started to get sticky and was causing some minor issues mainly weird pedal feel and travel.

To the OP if you analyze this thread already you can kinda get an idea, cars will run a long while, especially mazdas and most Japanese cars in general, if properly looked after. Reading multiple forums for the type of car you want give you an idea of how the owners of said cars typically act and treat them. I would say the Mazda community is one of the better ones for keeping cars maintained. Also he is in college so he will most likely wreck the car sooner than later, or trade it soon after graduation anyways so he does not need a flashy new ride, he just needs something reliable to get him from point a to point b. I would not hesitate to buy a high mileage mazda, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru that has service records and has everything in order such as good fluid change intervals, regular stops to get things checked, decent tires (unless budget allows for new ones at time of purchase) and a 3rd party shop I can trust verifies my findings that the car is in good shape.
KMS, seeing your note, I use an app called Car Maintenance Reminder to track everything I do on my car (oil change, brakes, etc.). You can also track your gas mileage/MPG. I've been using it for about 5 years now to track my cars.

Reactions: nanxun

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
KMS, seeing your note, I use an app called Car Maintenance Reminder to track everything I do on my car (oil change, brakes, etc.). You can also track your gas mileage/MPG. I've been using it for about 5 years now to track my cars.
Hm, ive been using an app called fuelly for gas mileage Ill look at this other app and see what all it offers, is it available on the google play market?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hm, ive been using an app called fuelly for gas mileage Ill look at this other app and see what all it offers, is it available on the google play market?
Yeah, I've seen "fuelly" on a lot of you guy's signature. Yes, it is available on google play...I'm an Android guy.

On the app, you can switch between fuel mileage and maintenance section.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Yeah, I've seen "fuelly" on a lot of you guy's signature. Yes, it is available on google play...I'm an Android guy.

On the app, you can switch between fuel mileage and maintenance section.
Ok, cool I will give it a look lets quick thread jacking now lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts