2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is "concentrated injection cleaner" important to the valve and injection system?

In my country, the user manual from the MAZDA official recommended 2018 model to use the injection cleaner every 10000km. It's like a 150ml conc. oil put to the fuel tank.
Is it important? Some experts say that is not necessary at all. Some say it helps a lot if you use the gasohol or E20/E85 which has the high ethanol composition. The slime or plaque will precipitate at the injection head more than the using of the pure benzene fuel.

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another question.. if it is necessary of better to use, which brand do you guys recommend? I found STP and Liqui Moly in the auto shop.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Valves? No, absolutely not. Injectors maybe, depends on how crappy your gasoline is and what sort of additives are put in it by the distributor. Here in the US most grades of gasoline have all sorts of detergents and cleaners added so its mostly not really needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being a Direct Injection engine cleaners have little to no effect of keeping the valves clean. It is not injected from Port which cleans the top side of the valve rather in the cylinder with no way to touch the top side. Best bet there is Top Tier gasoline to minimize any build-up. The injector aspect could help... but good clean gas would do this too with the additives.

I realize it may be a different country, but if its GDI it is what it is

·
Registered
510 Posts
Think if you use a quality gasoline that this is unnecessary: such as Shell, Exxon, Mobil, etc.

Ralph
don't be too sure. across different countries with big names like BP, shell and caltex, the fuel quality still differs from country to country. it all boils down to the PPM, sulphur content etc. our fuel is still at least 10 years behind on european standards for fuel.

especially in australia where we're lagging behind third world countries in our development. even a poor village in africa will have fast internet and better fuel..

Reactions: ElNino77

·
2017 | GT | 6MT
25 Posts
So I see the term "Top Tier Gas" used a lot. Are you talking about the additive or is there some objective ranking kicking around? My Googling spat back both of those things. And what goes in to "quality gas". Are people speaking to the low ethanol content fuel or are they talking about specific additives or even the RON numbers?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Top tier gas has nothing to do with octane rating. It refers to fuel quality and detergent content. Depending on where you live, virtually all fuel has detergents making an additive pointless. Kind of like putting extra detergent into your laundry when there's already enough to do the job. Adding more won't make your clothes cleaner.

If you google search for top tier gas you should find a list of gas stations that sell high quality fuel.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use BP Ultimate in Australia- it's probably as good as any in the world. But if the manual for your country says use an injector cleaner I'd use it- Techron is one of the better cleaners.

·
Registered
510 Posts
^same here. But remember that issue with the macan and how our fuel quality in general, nothing to do with RONs or brand, in this country isn't up to standard. i think it was something to do with our sulphur content and PPM..

·
Registered
510 Posts
I feel your pain...but I still laughed at this.
sad but true :'( it's what happens when you have a nanny state that polices too much..

·
Registered
965 Posts
I find it strange that Mazda would suggest a fuel injector cleaner in your Country. This is most likely due to low quality fuel then another else.

If your fuel doesn't have the same level of detergents as we have in America, then I can totally see fuel injectors getting dirty and clogged enough to cause performance issues. This is exactly the scenario that these additives were originally designed for.

If the fuel at the pump is already top quality to prevent any build up (looking at Shell's super clean valves in their advertisement as an example) then buying and adding ANY extra additive is literally throwing money away... or burning it outta the exhaust pipe, if you will, because the injectors, valves, and the entire fuel system is already sparkling clean due to an absurd amount of detergents in the fuel as per EPA's ever increasingly strict standards.

Since you're the only one actually living in that Country, you should know if the majority of cars on the road suffer from dirty injectors / valves or not. I doubt Mazda would suggest you add a fuel additive if it isn't necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts