2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Mazda 3, I Grand Touring with the old style radio without a touchscreen in the dash. Part #: 638-72435
I would like to install a CarPlay radio in the car for Navigation and Spotify but can't find anyone that has done this modification.

I came across the following ad that says it can work but it looks questionable.
carnaviplayer.com/aftermarket-navigation-auto-radio-for-mazda-3-2014-2017-p-1122
Navigation Auto radio For Mazda 3 2014-2017 Navigation Auto radio For Mazda 3 2014-2017

I found a car kit from Metra that would work if I could find a single Din, "L" shaped radio with a tall screen.
bestbuy.com/site/metra-dash-kit-for-select-2014-mazda-3-vehicles-matte-black/6264637.p?skuId=6264637

Has anyone been able to figure out how to retrofit the original radio (without the screen) to a CarPlay version, or know anyone that would do this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since you brought up Best Buy I will assume you are in the US. Have you check Crutchfield? I used your car model to check and it carries three stereos that can fit your car with additional wiring kit to fit the factory harness. The only thing it does not have is the Dash kit...but you found one at Best Buy. The only question is...if any of the three CarPlay capable stereos fits the Best Buy dash kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the US and checked with a dealer. They will only support the models with the Connect systems. It seems like the Connect systems should interchange with the original style radio since it it uses the same space in the dash? The extra controls would not be needed with the car play like the DVD player and lower control knob.

I was hoping someone would have done this already. I will check with my local Stereo install shop and see if they can find a way. Crutchfield says "modified fit" on their install notes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am in the US and checked with a dealer. They will only support the models with the Connect systems. It seems like the Connect systems should interchange with the original style radio since it it uses the same space in the dash? The extra controls would not be needed with the car play like the DVD player and lower control knob.

I was hoping someone would have done this already. I will check with my local Stereo install shop and see if they can find a way. Crutchfield says "modified fit" on their install notes.
The only way to operate the official CarPlay/android Auto accessory is using the the lower control knob controls, on top of that you need to flash the CMU with firmware V70. Which you obviously don't have.

To make this short, you don't have a mazda connect system, therefore you cannot add CarPlay or AA to your system.

Your only option is to use an aftermarket radio like you mention in the first posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts