2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So something I've been thinking about as a dream project car would be a big turbo Mazda 3 with all wheel drive. I do realize that doing a conversion of that magnitude would be a massive project, but hear me out for a second here. I was researching the engine platform of first generation 3's and I realized that the 2007 CX-7 shares a similar engine with the same year Mazda 3. Being that the CX-7 is an all wheel drive crossover/SUV and comes with a 6-speed transmission on a similar spec engine, would it be possible to adapt the CX-7's AWD trans to fit a Mazda 3's engine? Of course it would be a given that both the CX-7 donating the trans and the 3 would both have the same or similar 2.3L 16 valve DOHC I4 engines.

This is all theoretical for now of course, I just wanted to see if my idea could hold any water at all.

Cheers,
Bikklo

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,246 Posts
Hello all,

So something I've been thinking about as a dream project car would be a big turbo Mazda 3 with all wheel drive. I do realize that doing a conversion of that magnitude would be a massive project, but hear me out for a second here. I was researching the engine platform of first generation 3's and I realized that the 2007 CX-7 shares a similar engine with the same year Mazda 3. Being that the CX-7 is an all wheel drive crossover/SUV and comes with a 6-speed transmission on a similar spec engine, would it be possible to adapt the CX-7's AWD trans to fit a Mazda 3's engine? Of course it would be a given that both the CX-7 donating the trans and the 3 would both have the same or similar 2.3L 16 valve DOHC I4 engines.

This is all theoretical for now of course, I just wanted to see if my idea could hold any water at all.

Cheers,
Bikklo
cool idea, but you'll get better support with older MX-5 - more aftermarket tuning parts

·
Registered
244 Posts
At C30crew dot com there's a guy who converted a Volvo C30 to AWD. The C30 shared a lot of parts with the last generation Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus, as well as some AWD Volvo wagons, and IIRC those were the parts he used.
Of course it can be done, but why? If you are starting with a 2007 Mz3, that's a lot of trouble and cost just to end up with an 11 year old AWD. Why not just buy a CX5 or Subaru or something? Or if you just want to build something, why not build a spec Miata or something else that would have some residual value?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Short answer is "yes".

Longer answer is that the Japan Market has an AWD Axela, which is the Mazda 3. Username: Bruns has posted a few pictures of his along with some videos on Youtube.

I have a super long-term project that I'm kicking around where I ship a salvage AWD Axela over here and rebuild it with the column on the left...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At C30crew dot com there's a guy who converted a Volvo C30 to AWD. The C30 shared a lot of parts with the last generation Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus, as well as some AWD Volvo wagons, and IIRC those were the parts he used.
Of course it can be done, but why? If you are starting with a 2007 Mz3, that's a lot of trouble and cost just to end up with an 11 year old AWD. Why not just buy a CX5 or Subaru or something? Or if you just want to build something, why not build a spec Miata or something else that would have some residual value?
Well the thing is that I just love the design and style of the first gen hatchback Mazda 3 and Mazdaspeed 3. If I ever do build anything like this idea I would mostly be doing it because I think it would be an awesome and challenging project that could result in something super cool and unique that I can say I made with my own two hands. If I was looking for an AWD commuter car, sure I'd go buy something reasonable like a Subaru, but that isn't the idea with this. Also at this point in my life there's no way for me to afford a project like this anyway, so as it stands this is all hypothetical discussion.

Short answer is "yes".

Longer answer is that the Japan Market has an AWD Axela, which is the Mazda 3. Username: Bruns has posted a few pictures of his along with some videos on Youtube.

I have a super long-term project that I'm kicking around where I ship a salvage AWD Axela over here and rebuild it with the column on the left...
I didn't know that, I'm surprised I didn't see anything about that while I was looking around online. Thanks for mentioning it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came across this thread out of curiosity and was wondering if it was as simple as swapping the parts with a cx5 or salvage jdm axela, or do you actually have to mess with the ecu or electronics to have it act like a modern AWD, and be able to deliver different power to different wheels? Because if it's as "simple" as swapping parts, then there's really no reason not to keep an eye out for a wrecked or junked awd cx5 with a good undercarriage setup if it comes cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts