2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 2.0L non sky.
TBH ... unfortunately i cannot say if it would have reduced the bottom end with the oem flywheel/clutch because the flywheel was lightened and with a stage 1 clutch when the mods were added. Bottomline is with this set up is the bottom is better that oem. Personally i think the lighter flywheel /clutch has offset the bottom end loss. These cams do there stuff 4K to 7K and were all the HP is made and keep pulling all the way to redline. Xerolimit uses them in there miata on the track (the MZR 2.0L) and can pull past 8000 with no internal changes except stiffer valve springs.Check out theire website if you are considering Cams. They have a stage 1 from Kelford, a stage 1.5 zerolimit (which are grinded from OEM mazda blanks) and a Stage 4) stage 1 & 1.5 can work on oem springs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok... thx. I have a '17 Mazda6 GX 6mt... (Skyactiv-G 2.5) - heavier car, more bottom-end oriented engine... which needs to retain/enhance that bottom-end otherwise it'd be a PITA in city traffic here in Vancouver. Also, whereas the 6at would mask the bottom-end a bit (what-with torque multiplication at converter stall) no such effect is at play with my 6mt.

So I will go with OVT tune for 91 (RM+MM)/2 octane fuel... with added 25% (?) TMap. Will likely add axle-back exh just to actually HEAR the engine, haha, though CS Axleback actually lessens torque a 'wee bit between 2000 and 2900 rpm (which is where I want to richen-up torque). Wish I could have a more throaty exhaust while keeping at least the OEM muffler, without any non-reversable (oxyaccetylene torch-cut) changes. Bolt on /un-bolt is what I want... with no loss in bottom end... in fact, with GAINS in the bottom-end.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would prefer to keep the OEM exh. manifold. It's quite the work-of-art despite being hidden behind heat-shield haha. Seriously, I want to stay emissions compliant. I fully expect, particulary here on the Left coast of Canada in the not too distant future, that a person running a gasoline powered car in an urban setting will be repeatedly keyed by "environmentalists". I'm SERIOUS... and I'm not looking forward to that day. Ah, political correctness, peer pressure, rampant eco-terrorism...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think everything has been said on this already. I will only add this. Rafael (OVT tuner) runs an AEM flat air filter in the OEM air box. If anyone would know exactly how to maximize power output on a SkyActiv engine, my money is on him.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts