2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a Injen sp short ram cold air intake worth it on a 2018 Mazda 3 hatchback touring 2.5 L!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought and injen short ram cold air, I just wanna know if it performs better than the factory one and if I’m going to have any issues with it!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My mechanic told it will, because it not restricted and the one I’m getting is supposed to make the engine sound more aggressive!
You need a new mechanic. You also need lessons in grammar. Specifically where to use an exclamation mark and a question mark.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It may add 1-2 hp and sound louder ... you need to make your exhaust (headers/cats/down&exhaust) less restrictive in order to gain from a cold air intake which is really warm or hot from the engine bay unless you have air that is directly from outside the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
My mechanic told it will, because it not restricted and the one I’m getting is supposed to make the engine sound more aggressive!
Your "mechanic" is living in the 20th century and knows nothing about Mazdas. The Injen intake (or any other for that matter, they are all mostly the same) is only marginally better than the OEM air box which has been shown by tuners to be just a bit restrictive. You might see a couple hp when the intake air temps are low, but if you were to dyno the car the difference would most likely fall within the error tolerances of the equipment, so it would be hard to see any actual improvements..... If you were to do a 93 octane tune you would see about 10 hp from the SRI, but in stock form its mostly just bling.

It may add 1-2 hp and sound louder ... you need to make your exhaust (headers/cats/down&exhaust) less restrictive in order to gain from a cold air intake which is really warm or hot from the engine bay unless you have air that is directly from outside the engine bay.
Not likely to happen, as the OEM parts are already pretty free flowing....they need to be for the amount of exhaust scavenging the SA-G engine requires to operate at 13:1 compression.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you install it and perform an ECU tune directly after, I would get it. Without doing a tune, I would stick to the OEM CAI system (the car comes with a very well designed CAI system btw).

I've tested two different aftermarket SRI/CAI setups (K&N and AEM) and they both made almost no change in performance by themselves. With tuning they were able to add about 6 HP and 7 lb/s torque when testing on a v-dyno compared to the stock unit. I was mainly concerned with IAT and the AEM intake did a good job at keeping IAT closer to ambient. Not as good as the stock intake, but it was pretty close and it did a better job than the K&N Typhoon model. Cooler air is denser and has more oxygen to burn as fuel, which means better engine performance.
CK

·
Registered
341 Posts
Both the Mz3 and the Mx5 have cold air intake OEM. We keep getting inquiries on the Mx5 forum, too, about this stuff.

It's a waste of money, people.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you install it and perform an ECU tune directly after, I would get it. Without doing a tune, I would stick to the OEM CAI system (the car comes with a very well designed CAI system btw).

I've tested two different aftermarket SRI/CAI setups (K&N and AEM) and they both made almost no change in performance by themselves. With tuning they were able to add about 6 HP and 7 lb/s torque when testing on a v-dyno compared to the stock unit. I was mainly concerned with IAT and the AEM intake did a good job at keeping IAT closer to ambient. Not as good as the stock intake, but it was pretty close and it did a better job than the K&N Typhoon model. Cooler air is denser and has more oxygen to burn as fuel, which means better engine performance.
CK
What was the power increase with just a tune?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hard to say exactly... Based on my 3rd gear WOT log v-dyno results, I'd say I got about 20 extra ponies. 1st tune file logs vs last tune file.

OVT listed a 20-25 HP increase with 93 octane on a 2.5L, so it seems about correct.
CK

·
Registered
121 Posts
With a OV TUNE on 91 octane or higher you can see: 2.0L non skyactiv: 10-14HP gain. 2.3L non skyactiv: 14-19HP gain. 2.5L non skyactiv: 22-30HP gain. 2.0L skyactiv: 16-20HP gain. 2.5L skyactiv: 25-35HP gain: 40+ with certain modifications. (not sure if these stats with or with out CAI & cat back) ...i think without.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Here is a thread with actual dyno test that shows results from a 93 octane tune on a 2.0 motor.

Initial results show a 7 hp increase from the SRI when using an axle back exhaust.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is a thread with actual dyno test that shows results from a 93 octane tune on a 2.0 motor.

Initial results show a 7 hp increase from the SRI when using an axle back exhaust.
My Info was pulled off the OrangeVIrus website.
I am due to do a dyno and find what i now have at the wheels.
2years ago i did one 157whp ( OV Tuned with corksport CAI/ Catback exhaust/ & Lighter pulleys from here Mazda3 and Mazdaspeed3 Underdrive Power Pulley Parts. Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazda 3 Performance Parts. )

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
That sounds
My Info was pulled off the OrangeVIrus website.
I am due to do a dyno and find what i now have at the wheels.
2years ago i did one 157whp ( OV Tuned with corksport CAI/ Catback exhaust/ & Lighter pulleys from here Mazda3 and Mazdaspeed3 Underdrive Power Pulley Parts. Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazda 3 Performance Parts. )
Thats sounds about right for most. I have a couple different final tune options. The best hp out of those is 163 @ 5500. The best torque produced has a nearly flat curve from 145 @ 2600 to 140 @ 6200, peaks at 157 @ 3600.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds

Thats sounds about right for most. I have a couple different final tune options. The best hp out of those is 163 @ 5500. The best torque produced has a nearly flat curve from 145 @ 2600 to 140 @ 6200, peaks at 157 @ 3600.
I need to do another once the summers are on to find out exactly where i am now with the current set up. Added since the last dyno was Cams from xerolimit, Ultra high flow cat (removed both OEm cats) , MSDS Headers, Lightweight flywheel (not that it will add HP but delivers the HP faster and lessen engine loud). What do think ? 200 whp ?
The only CEL i do get is at cold start ...misfire. OV tells me that they cannot re program those parameters on this model. Im thinking better spark plug or stronger coil spark may eliminate or move to a hot all year round weather/climate ..lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
JoeMini, have your mods in any way reduced the bottom-end or mid-range torque vs. stock? Is your ride a 2.5 Skyactiv-G? What model year... and do you have a 6mt?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts