2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an iPhone 5S, running iOS 7.0.x, and I have the phone paired to the car using Bluetooth, so I can use the Pandora apps in the car/on the phone to play music.

However, every time I get in the car and start up, or switch to Pandora from another audio source, I get a notification on my phone that "Pandora would like to communicate with the Mazda Bluetooth-Accessory" which is annoying since I have to unlock the phone and click "Allow" within 10 seconds to continue, or the Pandora app in the car times out and says there was a communication error. Most of the time, my phone's in my pocket or in the center console, so I either have to take it out of my pocket, or pick up and unlock it while I am driving, which is dangerous.

Is there a way to permanently store my acceptance that yes, it's really ok for the car to talk to Pandora on my phone so I don't have to go through this every time?

My car is a 2014 i GT Hatch with v27 software, if that matters at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got an iPhone 5S, running iOS 7.0.x, and I have the phone paired to the car using Bluetooth, so I can use the Pandora apps in the car/on the phone to play music.

However, every time I get in the car and start up, or switch to Pandora from another audio source, I get a notification on my phone that "Pandora would like to communicate with the Mazda Bluetooth-Accessory" which is annoying since I have to unlock the phone and click "Allow" within 10 seconds to continue, or the Pandora app in the car times out and says there was a communication error. Most of the time, my phone's in my pocket or in the center console, so I either have to take it out of my pocket, or pick up and unlock it while I am driving, which is dangerous.

Is there a way to permanently store my acceptance that yes, it's really ok for the car to talk to Pandora on my phone so I don't have to go through this every time?

My car is a 2014 i GT Hatch with v27 software, if that matters at all.
Look to me like a Pandora issue, not the car. It may think it still has a wifi connection. Pandora is kinda of wonky too in my book.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look to me like a Pandora issue, not the car. It may think it still has a wifi connection. Pandora is kinda of wonky too in my book.
I don't think so, as it happened with AHA as well, all three times I've tried to use that app. I haven't been using WiFi in the car, either, only the phone's LTE/4G connection to stream Pandora.

·
Registered
356 Posts
if you do not have a password on your phone, pandora will not ask you. this is a security feature to prevent others from accessing your phone through apps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you do not have a password on your phone, pandora will not ask you. this is a security feature to prevent others from accessing your phone through apps.
Ah-ha. I will try removing the lock and see if that helps. I may be required to have it enabled to get work email though. :sad:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm not sure disabling the passcode will do anything..
my recommendation is to either, turn off bluetooth and turn it back on..

or

delete your phone from the bluetooth list and repair it..
hope that helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I don't drive the car every day, so it took me a few days to test. Removing the passcode did not help... still prompted me to allow the connection every time yesterday.

I'll try removing the BT profile and re-pairing next to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I complained to Mazda and they replied that I need to take it up with Apple. I found this thread with people complaining about the same thing in their Honda. It makes Aha/Stitcher/Pandora integration far less useful.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the same problem. I complained to Mazda and they replied that I need to take it up with Apple. I found this thread with people complaining about the same thing in their Honda. It makes Aha/Stitcher/Pandora integration far less useful.
yes this is an apple thing. apple is just trying to protect its users from having apps or other external sources from controlling the phone. because that is what mazda is trying to do.

·
Mazda3 SGT
32 Posts
I highly suggest jbreaking your iPhone. There is a package u can download that gives u infinite skips :) winning

·
Registered
36 Posts
I highly suggest jbreaking your iPhone. There is a package u can download that gives u infinite skips :) winning
I used to listen to podcasts and pandora radio on my commute and had the same exact issue - the solution is fixed by setting up everything before you start driving. So when you get in the car, unlock the phone, launch the app (Pandora or Stitcher) and initiate a radio station or podcast etc. Once you do it once, no matter how many times you get of the car and back in it always reverts to resuming the audio play without asking you for further authorization - that is until you kill the app on your phone at some other point.

If you are still facing the issue, check if your firmware is at least v25.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gonna bump this thread with a "me too". I started using Stitcher for podcasts and this "allow" dialogue is very annoying.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The ironic thing is, if you already have Pandora running on your phone, regardless of what you select (Ignore or allow or nothing at all) it will sometimes start playing anyway, so that's not a great security feature on Apple's part. This doesn't work all the time but I'd say at least 50%.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I read it is just an Apple thing. Apple doesn't have true multitasking in the sense that android does. Android users commonly use "app killers" (apps to terminate all background apps to preserve battery life). Even though Apple allows multitasking much more than they used to, they still don't allow you to just leave apps open if you're not using them because that kills battery life. And as others have mentioned, Apple likes to have thorough security (which is why there is no way of installing a third party app other than the App Store, why flash never made it to the iPhone, and why we are not allowed access to the file system) so every time the car is trying to control Pandora (and thus open an app on your phone) it requires permission.

Still fucking sucks though. The only reason I read this thread is I was hoping someone found a workaround other than jail breaking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts