2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 13 MZ3 HB iTouring non Bose
iPhone: Verizon 4S

Like the title says, my iPhone no longer alerts me when it is hooked up to the car vis USB. My iPhone itself will ring like normal and also through the car speakers, but text, email, and the lock sound (lock and unlock) no longer play through the car speakers. When ever an alert is received the music gets quiet for a quick second and that's the only way of knowing that I received a message.

I messed around with it a bit over the weekend trying to eliminate some variables and found that when it is only hooked up via Bluetooth, the phone, text, email and all the alerts played through both the phone itself and the car speakers. Also I tried to change the ringtone when it was hooked up via USB it played through the car speakers, but when I tried to change the alert tone it would not play the selected tone. I tried this via only Bluetooth and both the ringtone and selected alert tones were audible.

Yes I made sure the button on the side of my iPhone was NOT switched to silent and I also tried resetting the Bluetooth connection to see if that would fix the problem. The one thing I have yet to do is try a different USB cord.

It isn't a huge deal and I am aware that you should not text and drive, but it just stopped working all of a sudden and it is really annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the car just over 2 months and it always played the alerts until the other day.

I did a Google search and the results were mixed with people saying its an issue with the phone and others said its an issue with the BT in the car.

·
Titles Mean Nothing
26 Posts
I'm confused. Is it an issue when hooked up via USB or through BT? Your original post led me to believe all was well with BT but recently stopped working through USB.

I have a iPhone 4S through work so I'll try to take a look today and see what my situation is.

·
Titles Mean Nothing
26 Posts
I tested my iPhone 4s on both Bluetooth and USB and heard the alerts for mail and text messages through the car speakers so long as the correct audio input was selected (BT Audio and iPhone, respectively.) In other words, if I was listening to Sirius through the Aux input the audio did not get interrupted in order to play an alert.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confused. Is it an issue when hooked up via USB or through BT? Your original post led me to believe all was well with BT but recently stopped working through USB.

I have a iPhone 4S through work so I'll try to take a look today and see what my situation is.
It works through BT, but not USB.

I tested my iPhone 4s on both Bluetooth and USB and heard the alerts for mail and text messages through the car speakers so long as the correct audio input was selected (BT Audio and iPhone, respectively.) In other words, if I was listening to Sirius through the Aux input the audio did not get interrupted in order to play an alert.
Mine worked like yours (and how its supposed to work) until it randomly stopped the other day. I am trying to figure out if its a problem with the car or the phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts