2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Maybe a bad alternator that isn't charging the battery, thus the battery was drained the last time you drove. What does it sound like when you try to start? Is there clicking? A click? or just dimming instrument cluster lights? These are signs of a dead or low battery, regardless of whether or not the battery is new. When you say intermittently, does that mean at some point it might start up whenever it feels like starting even without any intervention from you?

If there is no clicking and the lights do NOT dim, it could be a bad starter motor or it is starting to go bad. You can try the 'what it with a hammer' trick that mysteriously works on most starters. Find something like a hammer or whatever you can reach the starter motor with, give it a few solid knocks on a part of the motor that won't ding or damage the housing. Keep giving in a whack until is starts. If this doesn't work, check all fuses, grounds, and electrical connections that may be shorting, disconnecting, or corroding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dimming of lights. No noise. Just doesn't start.
I leave it and come back a few hours later and just jump in and it starts.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
Or ignition switch, or neutral safety switch...without more details its really hard to say....:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
It's a standard.....is the neutral switch for autos only?
There is a clutch switch that prevents the engine from starting unless the clutch is all the way down.

And there aren't any more details. That's just it.....it doesn't start intermittently. Lol
There has to be more to it. Does is start, not start, then start with no intervention or does it need to be jump started? Does the starter click or make any noise at all?

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
In an attempt to narrow things down:

1. What is the weather like where your car resides? Cold? Hot? Damp? Freezing? Do you park outside or garaged?
2. Does the car start or not start with any relation to the motor or weather being cold or warmed up?
3. Did you try smacking the starter motor with a hammer if it doesn't start? With no other details, I am thinking that might very well be the issue.
4. When it doesn't start, how many times to you try to crank the engine versus when the engine does turn over?
5. How long between not starting to leaving and coming back to it and starting?

Again, if there are no conditional differences that stand out between starting and not starting, I go back to the starter motor or something relating to it. Or check electrical connections to the clutch switch under the dash that would prevent the car starting without depressing the clutch as arathol said. Maybe your foot knocks a loose wire or bad connection when you are stepping in and out and that is causing the issue. Look for a switch by the clutch pedal with a plunger that depresses about 1/2-3/4" when the clutch pedal is depressed. Give this a wiggle and try to start the car. Keep playing with it until you have determined that it is not a connection issue (if wiggling it every which way doesn't make a difference).

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
Do the headlights dim or go off when you turn the key and it won't turn over? The first thing I would suspect is the ignition switch. Seems to be a somewhat common thing in older Mazdas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys a bunch for the help. I have a car buddy that is willing to help me.
I'll tell him what you guys said ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you guys a bunch for the help. I have a car buddy that is willing to help me.
I'll tell him what you guys said ?
Hi! I’m just wondering what came up with this. My 2009 Mazda 3 turns over (lights on, dings bells) but doesn’t turn on. No other sounds. Sometimes if I turn into neutrality starts. Otherwise... I can jump in the car hours later and it starts first chance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts