2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Took my 2016 Mazda 3 HB to dealership for this intermittent P0171 code. I took it to them for the 3rd time and they now recommended to replace the fuel injectors. The injectors are covered under warranty as the vehicle only has 35K miles. They also recommended to do engine carbon cleanup and said if this is not done the injectors will not get warranty coverage. The cost for this cleanup is $350.00 plus tax. A bit pricey to me in my opinion but I don't really know what this really cost.

Just want to know what you think if the carbon cleanup is necessary or not. Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good fuel should have a detergent in it that cleans injectors and good fuel burns cleanly.

If the carbon cleanup involves removing the head I would have thought it was a warranty issue associated with the failed injectors and poor fuel combustion.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Hello all,

Took my 2016 Mazda 3 HB to dealership for this intermittent P0171 code. I took it to them for the 3rd time and they now recommended to replace the fuel injectors. The injectors are covered under warranty as the vehicle only has 35K miles. They also recommended to do engine carbon cleanup and said if this is not done the injectors will not get warranty coverage. The cost for this cleanup is $350.00 plus tax. A bit pricey to me in my opinion but I don't really know what this really cost.

Just want to know what you think if the carbon cleanup is necessary or not. Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.
The whole thing sounds like a dealer scam. Did they actually test the injectors and scope the cylinders and intake to check for deposits or are they just throwing parts at the car? Did they check the simpler things first? A vacuum leak, an intermittent O2 or MAF sensor fault, even a bad fuel filter can do this.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
For $350.00 I would expect a detailed print out quote, before anything happens

·
Registered
70 Posts
You have an engine issue while your car is still under warranty. Anything required to repair it should be on Mazda’s dime, period. The dealership is feeding you BS about having to pay for the carbon removal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the same way. I even argued with the service manager and insisted the fact that the vehicle is still under factory warranty that all repairs necessary regardless of what is involve should be at the dealers expense. He said carbon cleanup is not part of warranty coverage and is a maintenance item just like an oil change. He even said I can choose not to have it done, however they will not offer warranty replacement for the new fuel injectors should it fail again as a result of contaminants from carbon buildup. My concern is if I choose not to and the CEL code comes back on they can deny my warranty due to not having the carbon removal. I am going to ask them to prove or show proof the engine has carbon buildup before I decide to get it cleanup.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
It's very rare for a 2yr old vehicle to have those issues.... I'm curious where you're buying the gasoline from...

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
they will not offer warranty replacement for the new fuel injectors should it fail again as a result of contaminants from carbon buildup. My concern is if I choose not to and the CEL code comes back on they can deny my warranty due to not having the carbon removal. I am going to ask them to prove or show proof the engine has carbon buildup before I decide to get it cleanup.
This seems to be a fairly common dealer rip-off scam. Usually its called "intake service". This is the first time I've seen it used in conjunction with a threat to deny a warranty claim though. The carbon deposits referred to are on the intake valve. Most direct injection engines have this issue, some more than others. The Mazda SkyActiv motor is designed to keep deposits at a minimum and there are very few complaints about it from Mazda owners. I would absolutely not pay them anything unless they had pictures (of your car, not something they found on the internet) showing there was an actual problem. The fact that the dealer is pretty much holding you hostage by saying they will not warranty any further injector work unless you pay them the $350 tells me you need to find another dealer. Maybe you should also contact Mazda of North America Corporate and ask them if this is a normal dealer tactic. While you are at it, ask how those deposits on the intake valves are affecting the injectors, ask to see flow tests of the injectors (all 4, again the ones from your car ), and ask just what sort of damage they are claiming the injectors have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This seems to be a fairly common dealer rip-off scam. Usually its called "intake service". This is the first time I've seen it used in conjunction with a threat to deny a warranty claim though. The carbon deposits referred to are on the intake valve. Most direct injection engines have this issue, some more than others. The Mazda SkyActiv motor is designed to keep deposits at a minimum and there are very few complaints about it from Mazda owners. I would absolutely not pay them anything unless they had pictures (of your car, not something they found on the internet) showing there was an actual problem. The fact that the dealer is pretty much holding you hostage by saying they will not warranty any further injector work unless you pay them the $350 tells me you need to find another dealer. Maybe you should also contact Mazda of North America Corporate and ask them if this is a normal dealer tactic. While you are at it, ask how those deposits on the intake valves are affecting the injectors, ask to see flow tests of the injectors (all 4, again the ones from your car ), and ask just what sort of damage they are claiming the injectors have.
I appreciate your directions on this matter. I would speak again with the service managers with this inquiries. Actually thinking of contacting Mazda corporate office to get clarification or ask if this is just one of those dealer tactics as you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Hello all,

P0171 is a lean code. Have the intake system checked for leaks. I had this when car was new. T'was from a crimped PCV o-ring. Rare, if not the lone fluke from assembly. Simple & free fix, never came back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P0171 is a lean code. Have the intake system checked for leaks. I had this when car was new. T'was from a crimped PCV o-ring. Rare, if not the lone fluke from assembly. Simple & free fix, never came back.

Yes it refers to a lean fuel mixture. You would think this dealership has checked all the other components before going to a conclusion of replacing the fuel injectors. The car is under warranty so i didn't bother to do any troubleshooting myself.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yes it refers to a lean fuel mixture. You would think this dealership has checked all the other components before going to a conclusion of replacing the fuel injectors. The car is under warranty so i didn't bother to do any troubleshooting myself.
How much have you clocked?
They could either hit the nail w/o costing em anything...or go the hit/miss route of throwing the wrong parts in to get it running right....
The latter may benefit you more, but that's 1 dealership I'd run as far away from when warranty expires.
Hope they hunt it down. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I don't think its a matter of checking components. Sounds to me like its a matter of checking whats more profitable. :surprise: Has this dealer provided you with a list of diagnostic services performed to date that would support their conclusion? Is there any other indication of a problem other than the CEL light coming on, as in does it run and drive like it always has, no power loss, no erratic idle etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think its a matter of checking components. Sounds to me like its a matter of checking whats more profitable. :surprise: Has this dealer provided you with a list of diagnostic services performed to date that would support their conclusion? Is there any other indication of a problem other than the CEL light coming on, as in does it run and drive like it always has, no power loss, no erratic idle etc?
The car seems to run fine but there is loss of power at times and hard starting after your driven it for a while. I did contact Mazda headquarters and have a case opened. According to Mazda the carbon cleanup is required whenever a fuel injectors replacement is performed. It's a required maintenance item. I explained to them the issue is this dealership is not going to offer any warranty on the replacement injectors if they do not do the carbon cleanup on the vehicle. Mazda said they will investigate and contact the dealer. They also told me as long your vehicle is under warranty all parts are covered whether they're original parts or replaced parts.

So yeah this dealer sounds like it's trying to rip me off.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The car seems to run fine but there is loss of power at times and hard starting after your driven it for a while. I did contact Mazda headquarters and have a case opened. According to Mazda the carbon cleanup is required whenever a fuel injectors replacement is performed. It's a required maintenance item. I explained to them the issue is this dealership is not going to offer any warranty on the replacement injectors if they do not do the carbon cleanup on the vehicle. Mazda said they will investigate and contact the dealer. They also told me as long your vehicle is under warranty all parts are covered whether they're original parts or replaced parts.

So yeah this dealer sounds like it's trying to rip me off.
That lean code could throw your FC numbers off, too, besides the random slight delay in starting. I'd still ask em to check for leaks. The headtech was ultra thorough in hunting mine down. Started w/ leak check & after eliminating the symptoms & making sure the code did not recur, he went ahead w/ cleaning everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts