2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: The circuit design is done. Here is a video showing what it will look like. Video also features the DVG LED 3rd brake light.

Hi everyone, I am making a plug and play-ish sequential taillight module for my mazda3. I am wondering if anyone else would be interested. Basically all that would be required when installing is cutting the brake, turn signal and city light + 12 wire, hooking those wires up to the input of my module, using a new 7443 socket in the turn signal and reverse (reverse is optional - I think it would look good to use the reverse housing for this) and hooking up the 7443 wires to my modules outputs. If you have installed load resistors for LED turn signals before, you can do this.

LED bulbs are recommended for sequential operation, but not required. I am designing the circuit for up to 3A on every output, so you could power up to a 36 watt bulb on 12 VDC. OEM bulbs are 21 watts I think.

LEDs are actually strongly recommended in general, because your turn signal / brake will be powering 2-3 bulbs rather than the 1 that it normally powers. This might blow a fuse with conventional bulbs, but shouldnt blow any fuses if you get lower power LED bulbs. Remember OEM bulb is 21 W,so any LED bulb under 7 W should be safe.

I can also make it so that the lights are not sequential. In this case the purpose of the circuit is to combine brake and turn signal. This option would be cheaper.

Im going to change my design so that you can easily enable or disable the sequential operation on both brakes and turn signal. This way, you can easily switch between both being sequential, one or the other, or none. I would recommend using sequential for turn signals only, but you will be able to do it however you like.

Questions for now:
Is there interest in this?

Would you like the circuit potted at additional cost (water resistant, see picture)

Would you pay extra to have the module in 2 seperate modules (1 per taillight, easier to install)

Initial thread where I began development: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-12-mazda-3-appearance-interior/13252-how-should-i-wire-up-my-rear-lights-add-functionality-existing-housings.html

Also, as an update, I have the circuit design finished and just have to finalize component values. Then I will look at making PCBs after breadboarding. If there is interest in these I will sell 2 of them at a discount initially for durability testing. I would like to have 1 person in a hot climate, 1 in a cold climate, and both running all 6 outputs (reverse + turns + brakes)

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I havent come up with any final costs yet. I hope to keep it under 100. I am trying to select my components so that they are conservative and safe, yet inexpensive.

Id love to see these in your black housings..droool

If only my taillight painting project was successful. Oh well, onto the next one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I havent come up with any final costs yet. I hope to keep it under 100. I am trying to select my components so that they are conservative and safe, yet inexpensive.

Id love to see these in your black housings..droool

If only my taillight painting project was successful. Oh well, onto the next one.
Sub'd ill be looking out for updates or shoot me a Pm when your ready

Sent from a Parallel Universe

·
Registered
94 Posts
So I guess has gone a different route from what I kinda wanted to do on your other thread?

Braking:
Brake light and turn signal lights - solid
Braking and turning:
Brake light - solid; turn signal blinking (not sequential)

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Forgot to mention this, I can make them that way as well, but if its potted, I wont really be able to upgrade it to sequential. I know you mentioned that you may want to once you see how it looks.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be more cost effective if I were to just put this in a box rather than potting. Would probably add $10 or something to the cost, and I would be able to upgrade them.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the pricing will be around $99 though. I may also be able to add sequential brake lights , which personally I feel looks kind of confusing, but some people might like it. Youll probably have the option of sequential on both brakes and turn signal. i.e. either one, both, or none will be sequential.Assuming I can make a design that uses the same PCB for all.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm down with this!
I think I would actually rather enable you to choose what you want by simply flipping switches. I would prefer to put the modules in a box which you can open up if you like to enable / disable whatever you want. A box will still offer water protection, albeit not as much. So I will have to change my design a bit and put in some switches. I want to do it this way so that I can offer one module at one price, and it will be more versatile and can be used on any car you like, in different ways.

·
Registered
790 Posts
<br />
<br />
I think I would actually rather enable you to choose what you want by simply flipping switches. I would prefer to put the modules in a box which you can open up if you like to enable / disable whatever you want. A box will still offer water protection, albeit not as much. So I will have to change my design a bit and put in some switches. I want to do it this way so that I can offer one module at one price, and it will be more versatile and can be used on any car you like, in different ways.
I like this idea!

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, it was really simple to add in :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like you to post photographs or link in a movie of these lights running

Thanks

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There certainly will be when development is complete

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet, I have been busy with school, writing a co-op report. I still need to finalize component values. Ill update this thread when I have a working prototype, which is the next important step. Then I will design the PCB and get a batch built (I think getting the PCBs built will take 5-7 weeks). I will test it on my car for a week, and if everything looks good, Ill send out 2 more sets at a discount. When those 2 people get them, and test them for a bit, I will create a larger batch and start selling!

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I am very busy with school right now, this semester is hitting me hard. However I am making an rc car for one of my courses and I am putting sequential taillights in that, and I am making the circuit as similar as I can. I have found a problem with it that I am currently fixing. I should be able to upload a video of that when I'm done it

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well I am very busy with school right now, this semester is hitting me hard. However I am making an rc car for one of my courses and I am putting sequential taillights in that, and I am making the circuit as similar as I can. I have found a problem with it that I am currently fixing. I should be able to upload a video of that when I'm done it
Sweet! I was just wondering since it had been a while. :p

1 - 20 of 105 Posts