2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I am looking to add a after market intake to my ride... I was looking at the Corksport SRI or the K & N. Is there really a difference in one vs the other (besides price)? I know one is a short ram and the other is a cold air but I am looking at the "which will do better for me". I plan on using this car until I literally ride it into the ground. I figure after I do the intake, I will do ceramic rotors and brakes then suspension.

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
Hey fellas,

I am looking to add a after market intake to my ride... I was looking at the Corksport SRI or the K & N. Is there really a difference in one vs the other (besides price)? I know one is a short ram and the other is a cold air but I am looking at the "which will do better for me". I plan on using this car until I literally ride it into the ground. I figure after I do the intake, I will do ceramic rotors and brakes then suspension.
There is no difference. Either one will do very little other than making noise. Better off spending the money on rear sway bar or something that will actually make a difference.
Ceramic rotors ? :surprise:. Stock rotors and something like a carbotech pad is more than adequate for these cars.
Tires and suspension first, then do other stuff.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no difference. Either one will do very little other than making noise. Better off spending the money on rear sway bar or something that will actually make a difference.
Ceramic rotors ? :surprise:. Stock rotors and something like a carbotech pad is more than adequate for these cars.
Tires and suspension first, then do other stuff.
I am just tired of the shit ton of dust that the pads and rotors make. What would the rear sway bar really do? I dont care about the noise, I actually might sound deaden the hood and firewall to help quiet everything down. I hate how loud this car is.. I am borderline trading it in for an ST. I also spent around 600$ sound deadening the interior and its still loud as hell. I rode in my friends ST the other day and even almost redlining it his car was much quieter than mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
I am just tired of the shit ton of dust that the pads and rotors make. What would the rear sway bar really do? I dont care about the noise, I actually might sound deaden the hood and firewall to help quiet everything down. I hate how loud this car is.. I am borderline trading it in for an ST. I also spent around 600$ sound deadening the interior and its still loud as hell. I rode in my friends ST the other day and even almost redlining it his car was much quieter than mine.
Its not the rotors that is the problem, its the soft pads. Mazda pads have always been dust makers. I put EBC Greens on my MX5 and they have been virtually dust free compared to stock. The same is going on the 3 as soon as I can get to it.
Stock intake noise is not too loud. Aftermarket CAIs not so much. Not a whole lot you can do to change that.
What tires do you have? OEM tires are loud on this car. Mine came with the Yokohama S34 Blue Earth crap on it. They were quite loud and had zero grip. A new set of Dunlop Signature HPs fixed both.
There is going to be road noise, that is no secret with these cars. Much of it seems to be chassis isolation and exhaust. I find that certain road surfaces are quieter than others. Putting sound deadening in the interior doesn't do a whole lot.

A bigger sway bar does a couple things. First, it increases the cars cumulative spring rate, and in doing so reduces body roll. Second, it tightens up the rear end, allowing the front to apply more grip and reduces the tendency to understeer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found my 2.5 L does indeed produce noticeable volume with the stock tires (haven't switched tires yet), but never to the point where it annoyed me enough to trade it, that seems a little extreme but perhaps you are used to quieter interiors, or prefer it? With the radio on all the time, I never notice it. I thought of doing a sound deadening project as some have done as well, just for fun really but you claim it barely helped you? Where exactly did you apply the material in the car?

Also, you can consider getting an exhaust as one of your first mods and that can help drown out road noise with exhaust noise maybe?

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
Also, you can consider getting an exhaust as one of your first mods and that can help drown out road noise with exhaust noise maybe?
Funny you should mention that. I did replace my stock muffler with the Ultimate Racing axle back exhaust. It is louder at full throttle but just cruising with little throttle application the interior of car is a lot quieter than before. :smile2: Not all have had this result however.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found my 2.5 L does indeed produce noticeable volume with the stock tires (haven't switched tires yet), but never to the point where it annoyed me enough to trade it, that seems a little extreme but perhaps you are used to quieter interiors, or prefer it? With the radio on all the time, I never notice it. I thought of doing a sound deadening project as some have done as well, just for fun really but you claim it barely helped you? Where exactly did you apply the material in the car?

The radio has to be pretty loud to drown out noise. Its like I have to scream at my passenger if I want to talk to them. I am still on the stock tires at this time though.

The sound deadening did a noticeable different but instead of screaming now I just have to yell lol. I did every inch that I could add of vibration dampening, filled voids and added in airborne noise dampening too. Again it made a difference but not huge. If I would have known I never would have bought the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts