2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if its the same as atmospheric pressure at WOT?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Different altitudes yield different results. A basic example:

Condition 1:
An engine operating at WOT (wide open throttle) on top of a very high mountain has a MAP of about 15" Hg or 50 kPa (essentially equal to the barometer at that high altitude).

Condition 2:
The same engine at sea level will achieve 15" Hg of MAP at less than WOT due to the higher barometric pressure.

29.92 inHg Is the standard Atmo. Pressure. I will WOT my car on the way home just to give you an idea of what the measurement is, I don't expect it to read very high.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different altitudes yield different results. A basic example:

Condition 1:
An engine operating at WOT (wide open throttle) on top of a very high mountain has a MAP of about 15" Hg or 50 kPa (essentially equal to the barometer at that high altitude).

Condition 2:
The same engine at sea level will achieve 15" Hg of MAP at less than WOT due to the higher barometric pressure.

29.92 inHg Is the standard Atmo. Pressure. I will WOT my car on the way home just to give you an idea of what the measurement is, I don't expect it to read very high.
awesome!

how would one acquire this kinda read? vagcom?

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just reading up some stuff on google regarding acoustic supercharging.

Base on the reading, the bore and the intake diameter is too small hence the engine is not tapped for full potential yet.

Ideally, intake presure reading @ WOT should be closed to atmospheric pressure from my limited understanding.

DO correct me as I'm very very new to this.

Expensive mod though if one choose to go that direction, as intake manifold need to be custom made as well as a large throttle body with addtional calculation on intake length and width...

Edit: Having said so, most SRI are designed with this in mind.

Maybe I should just get a simota sri :tongue:

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not just the intake manifold.

the intake valve bore.

thanks for pulling that pressure reading.

While we're on the topic, would there be any benefit having a simota SRI with a cold air duct to it?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
not just the intake manifold.

the intake valve bore.

thanks for pulling that pressure reading.

While we're on the topic, would there be any benefit having a simota SRI with a cold air duct to it?
Possibly a slight(but minimal) increase from a colder air inlet from outside the engine bay. Where are you planning on routing the air from? Front bumper?

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yes, the front bumper.

I drive lots, so would like this investment to be worthwhile (to my ears and mpg, even +1 is worthwhile).

edit: 10/13/2011 update, lengthened the distance btwn maf sensor and throttle valve. @ 2nd gear starting at 3000rpm ish, I read 29.5 inhg, and Baro is 30.1inhg. not too bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts