2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 i3 touring and my insurance company is classifying it as a sports car. Therefore raising the cost of insurance significantly compared to a regular compact sedan. Does any body else's insurance company do this? Or does anyones insurance not do this? If so what insurance company do you go through. I'm going through 21st century.

·
Registered
383 Posts
sports car? I'd consider shopping around. My insurance was the same price between my speed3 and regular 3. I think i pay like $50 a month thru state farm but i get multiple discounts and am 27 and married.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I pay about $100 a month for my 2014 Mazda3 through Liberty Mutual. I'm 35, married, one other car and house on same insurance. That's for liability, collision, comprehensive.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They are yanking your chain, shop it around. Don't say 3i. Just say 3 touring. Only the S model will make it to sports classification.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Like everyone said. Shop around. With my insurance the base 2015 mazda3 is the same as the top spec mazda3 GT. It was also the same monthly rate as the Mitsubishi Cancer I had.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
auto correct for the Fail!

my speed is full coverage. 1k a year and they classify it touring car - esurance (AKA allstate)

·
Registered
333 Posts
My insurance (State Farm) just wanted to know the model and VIN, they didn't ask about the trim level; I'm assuming they could figure that out based on the VIN.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll be contacting the insurance company too see if this is something that they can adjust. If not then Ill have to shop around. Good to know that other companies aren't considering it a sports car.

Also lol at the mitsubishi cancer. Rip evo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Call Geico and see what they say. I believe I still have an accident on my record from a few years back and I'm only paying $91.50 a month for my SGT. Geico just classifies it as a passenger vehicle. Nothing sportsy about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 i3 touring and my insurance company is classifying it as a sports car. Therefore raising the cost of insurance significantly compared to a regular compact sedan. Does any body else's insurance company do this? Or does anyones insurance not do this? If so what insurance company do you go through. I'm going through 21st century.
I'd say shop around. Your insurance co. is smoking dope if they classify the 3 (any model) as a sports car.... It's got at least 4 freaking doors! :lol:

They are yanking your chain, shop it around. Don't say 3i. Just say 3 touring. Only the S model will make it to sports classification.
Nope, I've got an S-GT and my company classes it as a plain old passenger car. In fact, the rates between the 3i model and 3s for me when I compared were identical for liability, and only about $20 more for the 3s for collision/comprehensive, which I attribute to just the extra optional stuff they would have to fix if it were wrecked/vandalized/stolen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have Allstate. Mazda 3 HB is not cheap to insure. I switched to co-op insurance which was quite a bit lower.

But out of all the cars I've owned, it's the priciest. More than BMW 3, Lexus ES...:|

·
Registered
574 Posts
Maybe it's where you live or your age?? I think my 3 is the least expensive new car I've had.
I definitely think shopping around for insurance is a good idea every couple years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The insurance went up when I got my 2015 Mazda3 as well. I was coming from a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. I'm 39 and have no accidents or tickets in recent history.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to sort it out with the insurance company, it is now listed as a passenger car. As it should be. Must have been some error.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Each insurance company has certain criteria that will label it as a sports car. Usually about the same or similar between the companies. Yours should of been no where near it. Usually the sport in the title carries some weight. But as others have said it is not much of a difference. I dropped 10 bucks going from 2008 speed to my 2014 mazda 3 s-gt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The insurance went up when I got my 2015 Mazda3 as well. I was coming from a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. I'm 39 and have no accidents or tickets in recent history.
What part of your insurance policy went up? You can expect the collision & comprehensive coverage to go up, sometimes by a lot, just because the car is new and worth more than the older one you're replacing. Also, the cost of replacement parts is a factor in collision/comp rates. For example, the HID headlights on the 3S-GT cost a bundle to replace; probably much more than your older car.

In your case (clean driving record & age), the liability portion should stay close to the same, but may go up a little if your insurance company adjusted its rates (as they tend to do every year).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definitely shop around. I'm currently with Progressive and they are much lower than my previous company Allstate. It is very odd that they would classify any Mazda3 as a sports car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts