2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got a 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring and kinda wanting to install Sirius on there. I asked my dealer how much it would cost and they said the Sirius radio unit is $252 plus the installation kit for $71 and the labor is $200. The total should be around $523

$523 (not even including tax I'm sure) is wayyyyy too much. No way I'm spending more than $200 at the very most.

Is it possible to get the radio from somewhere else for cheap and install it yourself relatively easily?

P.S yes I know you can buy the radios straight from Sirius but I'm only wanting the system that integrates with the Mazda radio, displays, steering wheel, and is out of sight instead of having a box like a secondary GPS unit in the middle of the dash

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
It really isn't hard to install if you know your way around cars, I bought a module off a member here and installed myself, willing to sell the module if anyone is interested make an offer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
my set up if you have the courage to cut up a new interior

i wouldn't spend 200 myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The best thing about a separate unit is you can pause it and leave it on while you run into the store or something. You don't miss anything and have a buffer built up to skip stuff like commercials.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The best thing about a separate unit is you can pause it and leave it on while you run into the store or something. You don't miss anything and have a buffer built up to skip stuff like commercials.
that and the fact it can be used for home use/removed to use for another vehicle if not included.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was on the Sirius website and noticed you can add an iPhone app for a few bucks a month to your acct already. Or pay for new service... So could I just add this app and then play it like I play my iPhone music right now through Bluetooth?

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
that and the fact it can be used for home use/removed to use for another vehicle if not included.
The factory unit can be paused as well with the big round knob in the center of the dash....

Cardinale Way Mazda in Arizona has unit and wiring harness for nice price and you can do the install yourself....the factory instructions make it seem WAY harder than it is....the hardest part is finding the power tap in the factory harness...they may have moved it in the new models....you don't have to cut or tear up anything in your car...the windshield rake sufficiently exposes enough of the dashboard to the sky that you can mount the antenna on the dash instead of the unsightly wire running to the roof....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was on the Sirius website and noticed you can add an iPhone app for a few bucks a month to your acct already. Or pay for new service... So could I just add this app and then play it like I play my iPhone music right now through Bluetooth?
Correct and thats what i used to do but there was one major drawback, the app was horrible...and i mean horrible, it would loop constantly or not load. then i went with the skydock which uses the iphone but it was too big for my liking. I still have it if someone wants it for cheap too

·
Fighter of Foo
187 Posts
Correct and thats what i used to do but there was one major drawback, the app was horrible...and i mean horrible, it would loop constantly or not load. then i went with the skydock which uses the iphone but it was too big for my liking. I still have it if someone wants it for cheap too
I did the trial Sirius App and was expecting it to be horrible (based on feedback I had read online). But was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Now, it's possible I was lucky, or maybe they worked on the app and made it better. But it worked pretty well for me.

The only drawback for me, is I go up into the mountains on occasion and lose cell signal when up there, so I wouldn't be able to listen to the app at that point.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did the trial Sirius App and was expecting it to be horrible (based on feedback I had read online). But was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Now, it's possible I was lucky, or maybe they worked on the app and made it better. But it worked pretty well for me.

The only drawback for me, is I go up into the mountains on occasion and lose cell signal when up there, so I wouldn't be able to listen to the app at that point.
you are lucky because honestly if i got 10 minutes of audio on my hour and a half commute that was a good day. the best part was calling to cancel when i was on hold for........two hours and forty three minutes :argh 1:

this is on two main stations, bpm and opie and anthony. normally is cuts out for me about 8 times to and from work just due to where i live and the lack of clear signal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Working up the courage to do the same or might chicken out and just take off the door completely.

How long did it take you, and how did you do all of the wiring in behind. Cause if I'm not mistaken that unit goes through the AUX cable. did you use the one inside of the centre armrest console or take out the entire head unit and plug it in behind there. Let me know as many details as possible. Hoping to do this project on sunday.

:newhere:

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got my Sirius radio installed today at the dealer. I got it "thrown" in to the price when I got a killer deal on my new ride a few days ago. Took the dealer around 3 hours to install. My salesman even provided me a car to borrow and leave the dealership while the install was taking place!
I looked at the installation instructions myself after and it looks like a hell of a tedious thing to do yourself. I got 4 months of free subscription with it too. The dealer is around a 75 mile trip full of many hills and signal never cut out once, it was crystal clear all the way and sounds great. I love the fact you can pause it whenever too. I am overall very impressed with it and highly recommend it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts