2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a super easy way to upgrade your stock Halogen lights with bright project style LEDs from The Retrofit Source. Takes about 25-30 min with proper tools.

These were bought under the Group buy these new Morimoto Type Z Mazda foglamps.

Step 1: Remove fog lamp housing using a plastic trim removal tool here. Gently pry the housing to avoid breaking the bumper tabs.

Step 2: Unscrew the three silver screws holding the fog lamp black housing to the bumper

Step 3: Unscrew the two black screws holding the individual lamp the the black plastic mounts. The Hex screw on the right can be modified to aim the lights up or down if you wish. (Thanks Lowincash).

Step 4: arrange the connectors so red goes to grey and black to black. Do not reverse the connectors as it can result in a blown fuse. The kit comes with plastic connectors for the OEM plugs.

***make sure you orient the electrical connectors properly because once clicked into the kit connectors, it' very difficult to remove them.*** ( Thanks again Lowincash for this info)

Step 5: check for prper operation, reverse the order of steps to reinstall and your done!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Would be nice to see the photo of completed install and one with the light on......

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this set up, easy plug and play.

·
Registered
14 Posts
how did you remove the chrome trim on the housing? just a pop off job?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Plastidip

Reactions: gmwinternitz

·
Registered
313 Posts
So how are you guys liking the new fogs? Do they improve lighting?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
So how are you guys liking the new fogs? Do they improve lighting?
Happy to say they worked surprisingly well in the rain too, being white light and all. I've used them in the rain at night and they actually do help illuminate the road better and I was able to see the difference with the fog lights turned on and off. Still love them a lot. Matches the CBI bulbs and LED DRL strip pretty well. I tinted them yellow a while back but like the white color matched look better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I got mine installed and with the yellow covers. not as yellow as i had hoped so ill see about buying covers that offer more yellow and darker.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
So I got mine installed and with the yellow covers. not as yellow as i had hoped so ill see about buying covers that offer more yellow and darker.
Yea the yellow tint won't make the light output yellow, it'll look a bit greenish. I even tried two layers of yellow and it still greenish. To make the light output deep yellow you'll need to use orange/amber tint. I actually used two layers of orange and it gave the true yellow output that I was looking for :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yea the yellow tint won't make the light output yellow, it'll look a bit greenish. I even tried two layers of yellow and it still greenish. To make the light output deep yellow you'll need to use orange/amber tint. I actually used two layers of orange and it gave the true yellow output that I was looking for :D
The lights are good for sure. They are real fogs and actually light up and around like they are supposed to do so I'll say that much.

In terms of tint, did you go with anything specific? I take it all you have to do is place the tint on the lamps and then use a hot air gun to melt it on and pretty good results?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The lights are good for sure. They are real fogs and actually light up and around like they are supposed to do so I'll say that much.

In terms of tint, did you go with anything specific? I take it all you have to do is place the tint on the lamps and then use a hot air gun to melt it on and pretty good results?
Yeah I had a buddy hold the hair dryer while I stretch and slowly wrap the fog light, pushing out bubbles. Second layer was a bit more tricky but came out well. I bought a roll of orange film from ebay so there's plenty to use and try :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just installed these. This was very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just installed mine over the weekend. Install was a piece of cake with the instructions, thank you!

Crummy brownish-yellow halogen stock fogs:

Not a perfect match to the stock HIDs, but much closer. Leaving them clear for now, but may tint them a deep yellow at some point, haven't decided yet. (bought the orange film lowincash suggested, just want to test how well they work in white first)

Going to modify the housings so I can aim them a bit, but overall a big improvement over stock. Should've come with these from the factory

Had a little trouble with the white balance...but the color is somewhere between the second and third set of output pics....and is completely dependent on how accurate your monitor is anyway lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
are you guys using the OEM fog light housing? i am looking to grab some fog lights, but i would rather buy the stalk myself to install, then buy either the OEM housing or aftermarket housing as i want to buy the moriomoto fogs and i have an LED DRL cover. or maybe i can just buy something like this and just use the harness/housing itself? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Replacement-Fog-Lights-Kit-for-Mazda-3-2014-2016-/121918791169?hash=item1c62ed1e01:g:8ZMAAOSwL7VWqoWm&vxp=mtr

anyone know where to buy just the OEM fog light housing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
are you guys using the OEM fog light housing? i am looking to grab some fog lights, but i would rather buy the stalk myself to install, then buy either the OEM housing or aftermarket housing as i want to buy the moriomoto fogs and i have an LED DRL cover. or maybe i can just buy something like this and just use the harness/housing itself? Replacement FOG Lights KIT FOR Mazda 3 2014 2016 | eBay

anyone know where to buy just the OEM fog light housing?
Get the OEM housing instead of aftermarket. I bought an aftermarket fog light kit from SpyderAuto and they're garbage. The housing isn't a perfect fit and you'll see small gaps on the edges.

I believe this ebay store sells OEM parts. This is the right bezel but I'm sure you can find the left one too.

2014 2015 Mazda 3 Front Right FOG Light Bezel W Chrome Trim Ring | eBay

1 - 20 of 89 Posts