2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently bought a LSC-100A flashing module for below $10. It's meant to work in all cars.
I have a 2016 iGT Mazda 3 sedan, I tried to locate the wires for my 3rd brake light but I gave up trying to find it after going through my back seat and some covers (didn't want to break anything).

Does anyone have any idea how to access the 3rd brake light in the sedan?
If you have prior experience of installing this module, I'd appreciate any instructions or tips.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello.
the connector is here :
It's hard to make out exactly where from the picture but I'm assuming it's obviously pointing to the location of the 3rd brake light.
Thanks for the information though. But now I need to know, how do I access the 3rd brake light wires? I must know in order to install the light module.

·
Registered
117 Posts
how do I access the 3rd brake light wires? I must know in order to install the light module.
For the sedan, the 3rd brake light (CHMSL) just snaps onto the rear deck. Simply wedge a flat bladed screw driver underneath the edge of the CHMSL and pry up. You can even use your fingernails. It easily snaps off to reveal the wires.

I'm also going to install a flashing brake module. Will follow up sometime with results.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed this 3rd brake light flasher on my 2018 Touring sedan...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/blinker-flashes-solid-Safety-Universal/dp/B00SQEI4GO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544548399&sr=8-3&keywords=flashing+3rd+brake+light[/ame]

It works as described. Step on brakes...four quick pulses then solid light. If you release the brakes and immediately reapply brakes, it stays solid (no pulsing), as to minimize annoying the driver behind you in stop-and-go traffic.

I attached a pic of how I wired it. I think it is a nice cheap ($20) mod. Anything to better grab the attention of the (likely texting) driver behind you is a good thing. Also, adds a unique touch to my car.

Notes:

- on the sedan, the 3rd brake light easily snaps off the rear deck; I don't know about the hatch
- on sedan, fold down rear seat backs to give you more room to work
- factory wires: light blue is power, black is ground; you have to peel away super sticky tape and plastic tubing to expose them
- flashing module is tiny, size of a postage stamp and a few mm thick.
- I used crimp on bullet connectors. I orientated the male/female connectors so I can easily bypass the flashing module if need be.
- the white and blue wires of the module control the rate of flash (fast or slow). Connecting them makes the flashing fast (good for LED's which is what the OEM light uses)
- Flashing brake lights may be illegal in some states (e.g. Virginia and Oregon). Surprisingly, it IS legal in California, as long as the brake lights don't blink more than 4 times in 4 seconds.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts