2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i ordered some rear bumper reflectors, with led in them. i love them they look great. im sick of people not noticing my turn signals!! so... i ordered them...

upon inspection prior to installation, i realized the rear bumper guard, and foam, rest DIRECTLY ON the rear reflector screw. .....

in order to remove and replace the rear reflectors you must completely remove the rear bumper!!!! wtf!!!!!!!!

to remove the rear bumper, you must first remove the tail light. doing so was slightly aggravating untill i realized the mechanics behind the hook that holds it in place. thanks to the FSM i was able to realize what i was doing wrong and the tail light unhooked and popped off...

i then went to remove the screws and clips around the tail light... tugging on the area to see if i could shimmy it away to be able to acces the bolt i realized it was really tight still. couldnt move the rear bumper....

i went into the wheel well to examine the screws there. omg there are alot and they are HARD to get to because of the rear wheel... to be able to easily access them i would suggest removing the rear wheel. unless you have a small screw driver....

this is turning out to be a nightmare....
this is a picture taken from a hole after removing tail light. see the bumper support right up against a very very dirty rear reflector? yeah , i dont have access to the bolt so easily its behind the foam....

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
Looks like a pita, i wouldn't go through that length to install it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm curious to see how it turns out. But I'm with hwdp I don't think I would go to those lengths lol. At least not without a lot of beer and some help haha

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, i dont need help... i just need the time to do it...

for the sudan 4dr i guess its alot more easy to do, because i guess the bumper support is higher up and the relfectors are easily accessed? at least thats what the pictures in the instructions look like. the instructions say 4dr.

im also curious if i will be covering this area in flat black vinyl, gloss black vinyl or plasti-dip... not sure!!! i have a week to decide.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^^^ so for the 4dr you do not need to remove the bumper? I've been contemplating installing these but the work seems to be too much. Same with painting the inside of my headlights.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I currently did this replacement for the LEDs reflectors that I purchased off of ebay almost a year or so ago. For what it's worth, the bumper cover does need removed to replace these reflectors. However, there are only a dozen or so combination of bolts/clips that need to be removed. It may seem difficult, but it really isn't. Well worth it in my opinion.

From memory when I did mine, you the following needs done:
Remove wires and 3 bolts for each taillight, then pull the taillight straight back to release the clip.
Remove 2 bolts for underside supports under the rear of the bumper.
Remove clips/bolts in the wheel well to separate the bumper cover from the plastic liner (as mentioned before, these are much easier to remove with the wheel off). I have installed the rally armor mudflaps which required drilling and installing bolts, so I can't recall if there were button clips here initially, bolts or nothing at all. If they are button clips, you may be able to get those out without removal of the wheel. The bolts were just a nuisance, so I took the wheel off.
Remove a couple exposed bolts/buttons located immediately below the removed taillight.
Remove 2 plastic covers/bolts on the top of the bumper cover, where the hatch normally covers.

I think that is it for the bolts/clips.

This is the hard part the first time you do it. At each edge of the bumper cover (on the side of the car where the seam is ), you need to pull straight out away from the car to release the clips. that hold the bumper cover to the body of the car. When I did this originally, I couldn't figure this out for the life of me. These are really tight fitting. Try to get a hand in the space where the tail light resided and up from the wheel well and pull it straight out and you will feel the clips release. Once both sides are free, as long as all the bolts are removed, pull the bumper cover straight back to the rear. There are alignment pins that ensure the bumper cover is aligned. These aren't important for removal, but it does help in aligning when reinstalling.

It took me a while to do the first time around, but if I had to do it again, which I will need to since my half of the LEDs on the passenger side stopped working correctly, it should only take 15 minutes to completely remove it. The bumper cover itself is rather light, but bulky. Looks much heavier, but it is only a thin piece of plastic.

For my reflectors, half of the right side stopped working. I should say that they are still working, but dimmer than the other LEDs in the same strip. Looks to be a resistor went or something along these lines. I ended up taking the original reflectors, opening them up and plan on incorporating my own led strips using the original reflectors. I'll keep you posted on how this turns out. If this works, people could run the LED reflectors for probably less than $20 with a little elbow grease. Last I looked, they were still upwards of $70. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

If there are any other questions, feel free to PM or post.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought these as well and I'll be installing them come spring because there is way too much snow on the ground.

Im looking to have them come on with my parking lights then having a switch to make them act as fog lights, in fog light situations. Thought it would be unique. Any idea of how I can get them to stay bright with the flick of a switch??

Thanks for the write up!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought these as well and I'll be installing them come spring because there is way too much snow on the ground.

Im looking to have them come on with my parking lights then having a switch to make them act as fog lights, in fog light situations. Thought it would be unique. Any idea of how I can get them to stay bright with the flick of a switch??

Thanks for the write up!!
My understanding is that they already come with three wires, one ground, one for parking lights, and one for brake or turning lights (i.e. higher output). So just hook up the third wire to your dedicated switch (or even just your fog light switch).

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are simple to wire up. they have one ground. one for running lights and one for blinker.

im sure the rear bumper is easy. my front bumper, i can remove with in 20 min (only cuz the bolts for the under tray are annoying to get to) but i can remove my headlight in about 3 min. very easy to remove the upper part of the bumper for removal of headlights.

i bought a "moving blanket" yesterday to help with the removal, incase i drop the bumper it wont land on pavement :) this will come in handy also when i in stall my auto EXE front bumper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts