2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modern cars need either front cameras or front feelers. You cannot see the front corners of the car.

Has anyone installed what we called in the old days "curb feelers"? These were just pieces of wire with a rounded end so that they'd kinda vibrate when one hit a curb with them.

I'd think one of these at each of the 2 front corners would fix this blind spot problem by letting us know we were too close before actually hitting anything at the corners. Of course a wide angle camera like the rear backup camera would work as well. Would need a separate screen or have it integrated into the system to only come on at slow speed when one is turning the steering wheel.

Ralph

·
Registered
80 Posts
These things are common to see on cars in Japan.

The attachment is from the Japanese accessory catalog.

Modern curb feelers. Lets you see the corners.

A little caution in the first few weeks of ownership will probably solve the need for these as you gain experience with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with the OP. I don't have the greatest depth perception, and the long hood of my Mazda3 makes it extremely difficult to judge exactly where the front bumper/ corners are at times. It was much easier to park my '97 Rav4, vehicle had a much shorter hood, and I never had trouble parking.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never once bounced over curbs nor bumped them with the Benz corners. Hit the front license plate on parking curbs a few times. The Benz looked like new in its 26th year when we sold it for $2,500. About 3 or 4 years later, I saw what I'm sure was it advertised as "pristine" for $3,500.

I'd like to keep the 3 this way, but we have no idea where the corners are. Cannot see them as we could on the Benz.

We have obviously gotten used to this phenomenon some, from 7 years driving our Jetta. On the Jetta, both of us damaged the rocker panel beneath and behind the passender side doors (repaired) because we had no idea where that side of the car was. Our daughter did the same thing in her Jetta.

Think this is one reason people buy SUVs. You can see all 4 corners.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've seen these "curb feelers" on buses when I was a kid, not so much now. On buses I understand, but no need for them on a small car like the mazda 3. I'm pretty sure you'll get used to the car in due time so no need to add any silly looking metal wires to the exterior. Even though I can't see the front of the car, I know where it is. Just last night I scared my passenger while doing a U turn inside a parking garage, my front bumper came maybe about a couple inches from the wall. I know where the front of the car is so I didn't worry, but it did freak the passenger out tho lol Out of all the vehicles I've had, I had the most trouble parking with the 2002 maxima. I just can't gauge distance left in the front and back. While I think I'm really close to the car behind me, I'll go out and check and there's still 2+ feet left and when I think I have enough room up front, I'll hit something. This mazda is the first car I've had with a reverse camera and with that alone I've never had any problem parking anywhere. But of course still use the trusty o' mirrors :)

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
We have obviously gotten used to this phenomenon some, from 7 years driving our Jetta. On the Jetta, both of us damaged the rocker panel beneath and behind the passender side doors (repaired) because we had no idea where that side of the car was. Our daughter did the same thing in her Jetta.

Think this is one reason people buy SUVs. You can see all 4 corners.

Ralph
You do know what the mirrors are for?

I don't know about where you are but where I live you need to be able to park without hitting anything to get your license. This means parallel park the car withing 12" of the curb without hitting the curb or breaking your or somebody elses car and pulling into a space without tearing anything off the front of the car. :dunno:
Surprisingly the vast majority of people can do this without issues.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mirrors work for the rear corners but not for the front ones. I use my rear view mirrors for backing and only use the camera to tell how close. Cannot see directly in the back to know this.

I can parallel park. Just did it the other day right in front of a theatre I was going to; lucked out. It would help to know a little better where those elusive front corners are though.

Ralph

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know what the op means... I'd gotten so used to driving my old Wrangler and never had to worry about hitting anything. I'm a bit paranoid of smashing my little 3's chin on a hidden curb. I suppose I'll get more comfortable with the whereabouts of all four corners after I've had the 3 a little longer. I do tend to back into most parking spaces, the backup camera is great for getting that perfect parking job.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my wife hit a curb on the right side, just before the right rear wheel. This wasn't that bad. She really nailed the Jetta; so did my daughter with her Jetta. You cannot tell where the right front corner of the car is. Same with all modern cars.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
Well, my wife hit a curb on the right side, just before the right rear wheel. This wasn't that bad. She really nailed the Jetta; so did my daughter with her Jetta. You cannot tell where the right front corner of the car is. Same with all modern cars.

Ralph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts