2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a

Injen SP Series Short Ram Intake - Chrome polished Blue filter

This does not come with a heat shield and I would like to purchase one, but I am not having any luck finding JUST the heat shield. Does anyone know where I can pick one up online?

This is for my 2015 Mazda 3 HB 2.0

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
I just bought a

Injen SP Series Short Ram Intake - Chrome polished Blue filter

This does not come with a heat shield and I would like to purchase one, but I am not having any luck finding JUST the heat shield. Does anyone know where I can pick one up online?

This is for my 2015 Mazda 3 HB 2.0
No such thing. Either you get an intake with a shield or you make one.

·
New guy around here
5 Posts
do you mean something like corksport cold air box ? , sorry cant post links just yet because im new

·
Registered
178 Posts
Since the point of the cold air box is to get outside air exclusively, from what I have read, does it matter if its plastic? I would think metal heaver and more radiant so less effective.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Some people around here have used the K&N heat shield somewhat effectively.

I think there are some details in the main intake thread.

What made you choose Injen and not say Corksport or JBR?

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Since the point of the cold air box is to get outside air exclusively, from what I have read, does it matter if its plastic? I would think metal heaver and more radiant so less effective.
Thats not how it works. Heat soak kills any advantage you get from the outside air. The ABS plastic box is only a couple mm thick, so it heats up quickly. Its not too bad at highway speeds but if you aren't moving very fast intake temperature spike right up. For this to work properly a real thermal barrier is needed.

Some people around here have used the K&N heat shield somewhat effectively.

I think there are some details in the main intake thread.

What made you choose Injen and not say Corksport or JBR?
I have an Injen in a modified CS box. The Injen is black chrome, the only decent one I could find that was.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here but with a box that elaborate and sealed off, it seems like it would cut down a bit on the airflow capabilities. Wouldn't it negate any decrease in air temp? It would be close to just going back to factory setup because it would also cut down on the great sound of the open filter. I installed my injen with no airbox at all and its such an open area with air naturally flowing through the front that it would benefit more than having such an airbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
is your car manual or auto? go get a CAI from injen if yours was auto so you wont need a shield at all. or just go for k&n. btw i am running with a short ram from injen as well =_=

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
is your car manual or auto? go get a CAI from injen if yours was auto so you wont need a shield at all. or just go for k&n. btw i am running with a short ram from injen as well =_=
Why would you not need a heat shield if you have an automatic transmission?:confused1 1: The engine produces the same amount of heat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The thread below details the K&N heat shield option for other SRI systems. I fit it around the Corksport 2.5 SRI. None of these options seem perfect. I noticed that air temps remained within about 5 degrees above ambient outside air temps, even at a stop. The Corksport cold air box is a bit restrictive, hence the extra hole option, however I believe its only an issue for the 2.5 as the box was designed to have enough airflow for the 2.0. That said, I would still do what Arathol did and put a hole/heat wrap it.

The K&N option is about $40, so its tough to beat for value.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ormance/95050-heat-shield-air-box-cs-sri.html

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on the AEM intake's box?
I've heard from someone here it didn't fit correctly but someone else seemed to not have an issue. It looks as if it is metal and has some nice stripping to seal but isn't completely closed.

https://smile.amazon.com/AEM-21-779...qid=1491421374&sr=8-4&keywords=aem+mazda+2014
That was me. The AEM box I got was quite clearly marked for 2014+ cars.

However:

And it did not fit:

Because:

The intake snorkel from the OEM box was supposed to fit into the AEM box. As you can see it is totally different. I asked why and the reply was "Oh well, send it back. We'll look into it.":wtf:

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here but with a box that elaborate and sealed off, it seems like it would cut down a bit on the airflow capabilities. Wouldn't it negate any decrease in air temp? It would be close to just going back to factory setup because it would also cut down on the great sound of the open filter. I installed my injen with no airbox at all and its such an open area with air naturally flowing through the front that it would benefit more than having such an airbox.
No, not how it works. There is no obstruction and the air flows just fine. In fact, the SRI by itself doesn't work as good as the OEM box. It draws in warm underhood air, especially when moving slow or in traffic. Air intake temperatures are all over the place. With an insulated box, it takes a lot longer for heat soak to occur and intake temps stay pretty stable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The hole is visible in the picture, right at the end of the filter.
arathol, are you not letting in engine bay hot air with that hole so defeating the purpose?

Also I can not save your picture so I can blow it up and get a better view, is that a feature of photo bucket?

And maybe its just me, but when I read your first post, and others you have, I got the impression you were against SRI's, but then it turns our you have one which surprised me.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
arathol, are you not letting in engine bay hot air with that hole so defeating the purpose?

Also I can not save your picture so I can blow it up and get a better view, is that a feature of photo bucket?
No, the hole is behind the headlight, as far as possible from the hot air. It does not seem to be causing any issues. IATs fluctuate far less than with either no box or just the unmodified box. So it does work, but I'd like to find some better insulation to line the box with. I'm still playing around with it so its always changing. I might try running a small intake tube to the secondary hole also.

Right click, save image as does not work? I just tried, it works for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts