2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have had my intake for a couple days I thought it would be nice to give a quick review first on the pros and cons of it, along with extensive diving into the specific parts most of us care about. With pictures too of course! So without further ado, here we go:

Pros:
Style!
Noise!
Quality!
Performance!
Compatible with our stock parts (like MAF sensor).
"Stepped down diameter" to keep A/F ration in check A.K.A. you don't need a tune.

Cons:
Tight fit and slightly touches frame/wheel-well.
Price.
Throws a "too lean" code when put in neutral and revved even slightly, but does not throw code no matter how hard you push it while it is in DRIVE (If you have info on why this may happen let me know).

Performance: Ah yes, the performance of this is what most people care about right? Well unfortunately I do not have the funds for a dyno/tune since I spent my "fun" money on the intake itself, but I must point out that it "feels" better. This could just be a placebo effect, but it does feel better in the lower/mid RPM range, especially when coming out of a stoplight. It just seems to accelerate a bit faster. For me, this is good enough justification for the claims of 9HP and 10ftlbs of torque from Injen. I'm sure a tune would help get the most out of this intake.

Noise: The noise is a bit weird for me. It seems pretty prevalent at 1700 RPM's +- 100 RPM's. After that it almost goes dead quiet until 3000RPM's. After that it really growls at you and makes the car seem much more powerful than it really is! I've gotten it up to about 5000 RPM's and I'm really impressed by how powerful the car sounds. It makes it seem even more sporty and fun than it already was! If you drive low RPM's (grandpa driving like me) you will barely notice it, even when it does get to the 1700 RPM's that I mentioned before. The sounds seem to change their "appearance range" depending on how hard you're hitting the throttle. Naturally, if you drive the car harder you will hear it more, softly not so much.

Fuel mileage: So I work delivery for a living to get me through college (help me please..) and that means I have an interesting scenario where I can drive 8 hours a day in 100% city conditions. This was perfect for testing the fuel mileage increase/decrease. If you guys have seen intake ads before, usually they mention somewhere about "fuel mileage increases!" Well, in this case they were correct. Driving from 5:30PM to 1AM, about 100 miles give or take, I clocked in at 31.8 MPG from this intake, compared to the ~29.7 MPG from stock. It's not much but hey, give it a few years and it practically paid for itself!

Price: Eh, the price was ok. I was not expecting it to be a $60 filter on a tin can like some of the Honda ones, but $208 was pretty steep. I still would buy it again for this price but it might compete a bit better if knocking down the price to maybe $180? Also the optional pre-filter has a ridiculous shipping cost if you buy from CARid which makes no sense since they ship together but whatever.

Style/Quality: This is where Injen shines best I think. The style on this is amazing! The black (or aluminum polish if you want) pipe is perfectly shaped, clean, and has an awesome metallic paint job. The accessories included all have their logo and everything generally looks professional and race ready. On the quality side of things, the filter is very strong, as I wasn't able to bend any of the pleats when getting it into tight areas during installation. Nothing seemed misshapen or out of the ordinary, and the stock MAF sensor lines up perfectly as did the frame bracket. One con I would like to mention is that the fit was a bit worrisome. The filter edge barely touches the wheel well splash guard and the bottom bend almost touches the frame, probably about 1/8" above it. this was even true after ensuring proper installation 3 times. I put trim tape to avoid any unwanted vibrations.

Packaging: Was packaged great with no damage from Injen's side of things. All of the components were protected by paper and plastic wrapping.

Ease of installation: It took me about a full hour of installation and adjustments, which I guess is not too bad. The instructions were pretty great except for 2 steps (the one regarding trim installation and the one regarding the anti-vibration attachment). You may have to contact support like I did if you are paranoid about winging it. They too, were also very helpful with extra pictures and steps that should have been included in the instructions but were not.

Optional pre-filter: The red thing you see on top of the filter in the provided pictures is actually the prefilter. It's supposed to be breathable yet block water, which is important for an exposed filter close to the asphalt. I tested the prefilter by putting my hand through it and running the sink full blast on top of it. My hand was completely dry until I kept the water blasting on one spot too long and some began to come through. In the real world, there isn't much area for water to come into contact with the filter on our car, and it surely wouldn't come in a direct jet like that. The extra $20 for peace of mind was well worth it!

Closing note: This was a really awesome purchase. It does what I expect it to and it looks awesome! If I remember correctly, this is the only CAI that fits the automatic transmission. There is no other option that I have seen other than Injen. Even so, this is a good buy., Hope you enjoyed the review!

CARid product link: https://www.carid.com/2014-mazda-3-air-intakes/injen-air-intake-377233200.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|2.0L

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
Closing note: This was a really awesome purchase. It does what I expect it to and it looks awesome! Hope you enjoyed the review!
GREAT WRITE UP :thumbup 1: AND LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD FUN WITH THE INSTALL PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE...:grin2:

:Racing 1:

·
Registered
190 Posts
very nice and its a true CAI that gets the filter out of the bay.
2.0 or 2.5?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
Thanks for the great write up and I'm glad that you like it.

Modding bug activated!
CK

Reactions: SlayZombi

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very nice and its a true CAI that gets the filter out of the bay.
2.0 or 2.5?
Yes I love it! I got the 2.0. I was on a pretty tight budget and the only 2 cars in my budget were a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0L with only 9,000 miles or a 2014 Mazda 3 2.5L with 30,000 miles and really ugly damage on the paint and deep gauges everywhere. The 2.0L was definitely the better option there for only 14K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
*It is NOT legal for installation on vehicles required to meet CARB standards and/or registered in California and other states which follow CARB standards*

Damn California restrictions. It'll be a hassle to switch to stock every other 2 years just for smog. Glad you like the intake.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*It is NOT legal for installation on vehicles required to meet CARB standards and/or registered in California and other states which follow CARB standards*

Damn California restrictions. It'll be a hassle to switch to stock every other 2 years just for smog. Glad you like the intake.
Yeah so glad I'm in AZ. Haha. Can't wait until the day it ACTUALLY gets cold to get the most out of this intake.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
842 Posts

Its every 2 years and what...it takes 1/2 an hour at the most? :|

Besides the new regulation is that they test newer vehicles at the diagnostic connector for the monitors in check for emission testing. So unless you go wild with lots of color other then black under hood it is a fair bet they will not really care to much for a none compliant air cleaner system.

Just saying!

·
Miami Vice Swagger
59 Posts
Great write up, thanks for sharing your experience with us!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: So I have decided to wrap my intake due to the fact that it's now 111 F outside and the intake is made of metal (duh). Also it passes within 2-3 inches of the transmission oil pan and housing plus gets kinda close to the block. All that considered, I went ahead and spent $20 to make sure that the cooler air I was taking up actually STAYED cold through the length of the pipe. This is "2000 degree" intake heat reflector tape. I doin't know how much of that is pure BS but it has fibers in it along with the aluminum so I'm sure that it protects at least some of the pipe from heat. I don't know just yet what my IAT temps will be until tomorrow when I go for a drive at around 1PM. If anyone lives anywhere close to somewhere that is 100F+ please use a scan tool to see the temp ranges for stock intake. I'm curious now to see if this $250 I spent really made much of a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
Remember that the original intake is a cold air system.

Your goal with an aftermarket CAI is to increase your engine's air intake under higher engine loads while keeping IATs as close to what you got with the OEM system as possible.

I truly doubt that any aftermarket company will be able to outdesign Mazda when it comes to stuff like this.
CK

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remember that the original intake is a cold air system.

Your goal with an aftermarket CAI is to increase your engine's air intake under higher engine loads while keeping IATs as close to what you got with the OEM system as possible.

I truly doubt that any aftermarket company will be able to outdesign Mazda when it comes to stuff like this.
CK
What I never understood is how much outside air was being pulled in with the intake scoop being behind the weatherstripping. I would thing it's just pulling air from inside the bay but near the front of the bay no?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
True. I've wondered the same thing.

The air coming in through the grill maybe makes it way near the opening? It also has a large bladder like area after the air filter where cold air could accumulate (away from the engine) and be sucked in fast, if needed.
CK

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The air coming in through the grill maybe makes it way near the opening? It also has a large bladder like area after the air filter where cold air could accumulate (away from the engine) and be sucked in fast, if needed.
CK
Also gotta take into consideration that Mazda is a small company. Smaller company = smaller budget so just because they COULD make a 100% efficient intake doesn't mean they did. Cost of production, noise, and other considerations had to be considered. Either way, for this intake it is situated directly behind the driver side fog light bezel. I'm toying with the idea of taking out the bezel or modding a junked Mazda 3 bezel to have a grate in front to REALLY get the outside air coming at it.

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
What I never understood is how much outside air was being pulled in with the intake scoop being behind the weatherstripping. I would thing it's just pulling air from inside the bay but near the front of the bay no?

CK
The weather stripping goes up and around, following the contour of the intake. It doesn't block it at all. I'm sure after all the testing Mazda did they found that this is a relatively higher pressure area that air can readily be drawn from.
That "bladder"is a Helmholtz resonator for enhancing intake airflow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The weather stripping goes up and around, following the contour of the intake. It doesn't block it at all. I'm sure after all the testing Mazda did they found that this is a relatively higher pressure area that air can readily be drawn from.
That "bladder"is a Helmholtz resonator for enhancing intake airflow.
I had no idea it went up and around! That's pretty neat. Hard to tell when you shut the hood and can't see it line up...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome mod! It looks cool and really serious! I bet its more effective than those short ram intakes! I would get worried during a flood though (floods are common in my country specially in rainy season) but having the filter right behind the fog lamp should be fine I guess. Hope it goes well with you!

I had no idea it went up and around! That's pretty neat. Hard to tell when you shut the hood and can't see it line up...
I just discovered that too with my Mazda 3 and I find it really cool. The underside of the hood has a little curve so it sits right on top of the OEM air inlet. I plan to get a drop in dry flow filter so I could keep the whole air box and not have to worry about replacing air filters. I'm not sure if there are any negative effects.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The numbers are in! With 109 F ambient temps and 101 F outside temps my intake air temperature reached a max of 133 F while idling with the new heat wrap. I'm interested to see if anyone will check theirs after a drive with the stock box if you live in the same environment as me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts