2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Injen is the first manufacturer to come up with a Cold Air Intake for the 3rd gen Mazda 3, BUT, only for automatic transmissions :sad 1:
Also, only states 2.0 engine.
Both intakes are available in black or chrome finish.

Part number SP6065P - 2014, 2015 Mazda 3 4 Cyl. 2.0L CAI w/MR Technology (Automatic Only)

Injen short ram is compatible with both transmissions:

SP6068P - 2014, 2015 Mazda 3 4 Cyl. 2.0L Ecoboost SRI fits Manual and Automatic Transmission

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm curious what the intake temperatures are like with this CAI. Its still going to take in hot air from the engine bay, not far from the radiators fan, and not around an area which allows access to ambient air flow. It will definitely be better than an unshielded SRI, but won't resist heat for long at stops, especially once the radiator starts to blow hot air around. If the pipe were longer, placing the cone near the wheel well or a perforated front bumper, it would have more access to colder ambient airflow, and be shielded from hot air. This would increase the risk of hydrolock though.

Reactions: availablelight89

·
Registered
965 Posts
Where's the "cold air" coming from? When I was installed my fogs, I had the front bumper off and the areas around the radiators are SEALED to keep air from going anywhere expect the radiator. Except tiny cracks between the headlights / bumper, I don't see where this intake gets it's "cold air" from.

·
Registered
817 Posts
So looking at that set-up..why wouldn't it fit the '12-'13 SKY's ? not that I want it just looks like it would still fit. And I have to agree with turbo-this...wheres it gettin the "cold-air" from ?

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well, on my bx-5 there are small holes on the under body and a small built in gap (vent on both sides) that would allow air in. Also, the fog light is not sealed to the plastic housing, so air get's in around it. The only thing I would be worried about in that spot is water ingestion, which a hydrophobic cover should handle (judging by the lack of water spots/evidence of water getting in) assuming you don't submerge it..

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you are willing to deal with the risk of getting hydrolocked, this type of design would work better. Its a 2014+ Mazda 6 skyactiv 2.5 CAI from Injen. The design brings the cone right into the fender, just behind the fog light cover. At least this way you have more isolation from the radiator & engine heat, and can make minor mods to the fog light cover to let COLD ambient air in.

Product Auto part Photography Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my 2005 2.0 Mazda 3, I had a HPS SRI and then an Injen CAI. SRI was nice for 3 seasons out of 4, the car was heavily bogged down in traffic during summer at 85F-90F+

After 2 years I changed it for CAI.

CAI did well all year long (I drove with it for 3 years) and I went trough a lot of heavy rains and water puddles without any problem (My GF asked me to chase storms all the time lol) No bogging down in traffic @ 90F+

You really have to submerge the CAI filter to hydrolock an engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2014 -2.0

The stock intake takes air sealed from engine by gasket on hood.Take off the plastic panel in front and just below where air enters intake.Guess its about4"-30".About 4 plastic snaps.Now it will get more air from ahead of radiator.I did this months after jbr drop in and could tell it helped more than filter alone.both mods helped sound,louder.I don't know if better than injen.Suppose injen has more tuned direct flow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just heat shielded my Corksport SRI and am getting about 5 degrees off of outside air for the intake temp. At stop lights and traffic the max intake temp was about 90 degrees which was only 10 higher than outside. I much prefer this to a CAI as I have seen a lot of hydrolock issues in the past. It doest happen all of the time, but once is enough to make you not ever want one again.

Reactions: BIGDOC
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.