2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and welcome to my mod thread. For right now i'll be focusing more on lighting then anything else due to money constraints and lack of options for other major upgrades.

We will start off with my LED brake lights....

Just received and going to compare both the iJDMTOY JDM 3-Arm 24 SMD LED Spider Lite 7440 7443 3156 3157 1157 LED bulbs for Break Stop Tail Lights (smd) and the superbrightleds.com 15-LED 7443/7440 Bulb Specifications

(disclaimer) the iJDMTOY.com spider 24 led package says "for off road use only" where as the superbrightleds do not have that warning.

Here are the pictures from each

the iJDMTOY.com spider 24 leds

the superbrightled.com 15 leds

both

Tonight, i'll demonstrate reg bulb vs each of type of led... the led vs led

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it wasn't a light bulb I'd say it was a claw!
lol.... but it looks cool in the tail light. just wish we could obtain an LED ring to match the GT tail lights.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Spy satellite that fell out of orbit and landed on Ingrams doorstep. Radioactive? :eek:hmy 1:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
30 Posts
that's awesome Ive been wanting to get those and put'em in my rear turn signals to match my GT tails if you could let me know if they will fit i wasn't to sure and didn't wanna waste the money

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's awesome Ive been wanting to get those and put'em in my rear turn signals to match my GT tails if you could let me know if they will fit i wasn't to sure and didn't wanna waste the money
you got it. the spiders are slightly longer then the superbrightled's but i believe they will fit.... intact i'll go try right now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i didnt take a picture of the turn signal light with the spider installed... but with some patience it will fit. There's actually two holes you have to go through. the housing plastic and the chrome reflector hole. Trying to keep the spider together before it expanded and fit it into both holes on the turn signal spot ... was a bit*$.

but it works and fits.

In my first impression the superbrightleds look more like normal.... but brighter then the stock bulb. it's hard to see the leds. The spider with it's 24 SMD LEDs looked cool... and would be cool IF mazda designed the housing to shoot the lights towards the back instead of at a 20 degree angle or whatever it is. Kinda makes any designer LED look off and not clean. You'll see.

Again this is just the tail light view... no brakes applied here.

Now here's some daytime pictures of the driver side brake light with first the normal bulb, second the Spider and their the superbrightleds.

normal bulb

Spider 25 SMD LED
straight back

Spider 25 SMD LED
side corner view

Superbrightleds.com 15 LED

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
So yea I'm interested in this. Your going to put the spiders in the brake lights and the superbrightleds in the turns signals. The spiders wont fit in the turnsignals. What are you using for the reverse lights?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Good info...I'll be watching this thread closely as I have wanted to switch my normal bulbs for LEDs but have just been too busy/lazy to do the reasearch on bulb types.

If you do replace the blinker bulbs, let us know whether or not you have to wire a resistor in line with the bulb to eliminate "hyperblink".

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Good info...I'll be watching this thread closely as I have wanted to switch my normal bulbs for LEDs but have just been too busy/lazy to do the reasearch on bulb types.

If you do replace the blinker bulbs, let us know whether or not you have to wire a resistor in line with the bulb to eliminate "hyperblink".
Looks like the resistor is built into the bulb. You can see it in the pic. :001_unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So yea I'm interested in this. Your going to put the spiders in the brake lights and the superbrightleds in the turns signals. The spiders wont fit in the turnsignals. What are you using for the reverse lights?
The spiders do fit the turnsignal hole.... it's just a bitch. I guess i could plug em in and turn the lights on so you can see them... just ignore the red color.

The reverse lights i have are 7440. same type as the brake light superbrightled bulb. it's not entirely bright as bright as the tail lights... but lets be real, how often are you backing up with out your foot on the brakes?

they look cool. i'll post pics.

you will need two. From what i've read is that the hyper flash is not nearly as hyper as those rice boy's hondas.

When i find the thread i'll post my "receipt" i received when I ordered my plate and reverse and interior lights with part numbers and types from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the resistor is built into the bulb. You can see it in the pic. :001_unsure:
yes.... but you will need one for the turnsignals... at least that's what the disclaimer says on both iJDMTOY.com and SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com says.

Also, there's no error light on my dash when i did the demo earlier today. Then again i didnt hit the brake lights.

When and if you get the turn signal lights, you just need to get the 7440 but make sure they are RED for the rears... and whatever color you want in the fronts (yellow to stay legal).

the purple 'shag carpet' lol... that was a towel. how funny :p

you know you liked it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any night shots?
not yet.. just got them today. night shots will be tonight. in the meantime here are the reverse and plate LED lights

some are blurry sorry about that. camera phone... nuff said.

i'll take better pics of the lights tonight with the real camera on a tripod.

LED reverse, normal brake

LED reverse left, normal reverse right, normal tails and plate lights

interior LED natural white

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for doing this mod, I know it will help alot of peps esp myself.
speaking of... you the master of the eye lid LED's. did you use the superbrightleds.com thin flex strips? I'm about to order some as soon as I measure the top of the headlight housing. I plan on mounting them right were the hood lands on the headlight housing. There should be enough clear transparant plastic for the led strip to shine.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out! Totally missed that :oops:.
I guess I was wrong it's not a resistor. :blush 1:

not yet.. just got them today. night shots will be tonight. in the meantime here are the reverse and plate LED lights

Glad you started this thread. Now that i see it I want to do it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts