2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to vent. Took the Mazda to the dealer this morning, in order to update the infotainment system; went from firmware version 55.00.750 to 59.00.502. Problems with the audio even before I left the lot. The system would no longer read my flash drive, which was inserted in the USB port. Received a message basically saying it couldn't read the files. When I tried the flash drive in my home computer a bit later, I received a message saying it was corrupted. Tried to repair/ reformat the thing, but couldn't get it to work again.

I then remembered I had a second flash drive filled with tunes in the back of a drawer, so I stuck that into the car's USB slot, and I had my music again. Was enjoying tunes for about half an hour, stopped by to visit a buddy, and when I restarted the car I immediately noticed the stereo playing FM music. Tried to select the USB as my source, but now both USB1 and USB2 were grayed out on the display.

And now neither of my 2 home computers will even recognize the second flash drive. Total 8GB of music (2 4GB flash drives) lost in one day! No idea why the second flash drive would work for a while, and then suddenly stop. I'm not sure what else could be causing these problems. I never had any tweaks installed, and I never had any issues like this in the past.

Needless to say, I am irritated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, took car back to dealer, and they inserted an employee's Sandisk flash drive into the USB port. Music played. I reminded them how my second flash drive had worked fine for half an hour before everything was zapped away. Even though the service manager said he believed me, nothing was done, since they couldn't replicate the problem. They said they called Mazda, who had never heard of this particular issue. All I know is I have had 2 flash drives corrupted (and which are now unrepairable), since they had my vehicle in the shop for the update.

I will say that they were extremely cheap flash drives, but they never failed me before I took the car in for service. Not sure what would cause the things to become hopelessly corrupted, I wonder if the Mazda USB ports are shooting out electrical charges and frying them somehow? Perhaps it's not the update itself that is causing the problem, but maybe something happened to the infotainment system itself when they performed the update. It's beyond me.

Going to order a few higher quality Sandisk drives, and see what happens. If the third one also fails, I will be bringing the car back and demanding they thoroughly check out the system.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
I work in IT and there might be a way to repair the flash drives (but you'll lose all the data on them)

So if you're on Windows, go to the start menu and type in "Computer Management" and hit enter. It should give you a window with like three little windows inside of it. On the left window, you'll see a thing that says Storage on it, and underneath it says "Disk Management" Click on that and plug both of your USB drives in. You should see them come up in the list one by one as you plug them in.

The middle window should be split into two sections and the bottom one will tell you what drive you're looking at and it should say "Removable" on it somewhere. Right click on the colored section to the right of it and find the option that says "Delete Volume". Click it and press "Yes" or "Ok" or whatever pops up. This will basically return the flash drive back to a RAW data storage format. After it does that, right click on it again and select the option "New Volume". Go through the little install/reformat process which is pretty self guided. Realistically you should just be able to hit "Next" over and over again until the end. Then, tada! Your flash drives are back alive.

Just make sure you don't try to format/delete any volume labeled "Basic" as this is probably your OS drive and if by some off chance it does do it, that wouldn't be good. But just make sure the only removable devices you have plugged in are the USBs (no portable/external hard drives and such).

If you're on Mac I'm not too sure how to help you, don't have much experience in that OS.

I kill flash drives weekly doing installs and stuff so this method helps me bring every stick I've ever had back to life. It happens when the storage data gets corrupted beyond repair like that. Multiple different reasons could cause it, but it should like you may have gotten a bad update. I would suggest having them reinstall it.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Going to order a few higher quality Sandisk drives, and see what happens. If the third one also fails, I will be bringing the car back and demanding they thoroughly check out the system.
I really doubt the problem with the USBs corrupting that bad are with the sticks. It's most likely something that's happening between the data transfer from USB to car that the update may have corrupted. I would definitely go back and have them reinstall it since it doesn't seem like the update is fairing too well anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure how much help this info will be but i found a similar but, luckily, not as severe issue after going to the 502 update
I have a 64GB usb drive that i use for music in my car, it worked fine while being near full prior to the update.

After the update it would work for about 10-15 minutes and would then go to another source on it's own like xm for example

After some testing i found that it was failing to complete the scan or the music on the key and would then stop being able to access it until i removed and re-inserted the key to then have the same issue come back.

I had a smaller key with me that was just 32GB so tried it and it worked fine. I then wiped the key that was giving me the issue and put less music on it ~40GB and it's been working fine since

What zs_3 mentioned though may at least get you back those keys though

I hope they come up with another update soon that resolves the issues as well as adds android auto, waiting patiently for what they said the're working on since march :popcorn:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for advice. And I believe this thread has some awesome animal avatars. All that is missing is that flaming squirrel I see from time to time, might be my favorite in the forum...

FWIW, the only change I have so far noticed with the update is with the rear view camera. Now, when I am about to hit something, I see 2 flashing exclamation marks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts