2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Infotainment System Not Coming Up

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  codesmith512 
#1 ·
Hi there,

After upgrading my system to v56.00.230A, I decided to apply the disclaimer time and speed restriction hacks.

I wasn't able to connect using USB-to-Ethernet adapter. I captured the packets on the interface with Wireshark and no DHCP requests were there (I installed a mini-DHCP server on my machine).

So I used hotspot feature of the iPhone to put both the car and my laptop together on the same network and applied the disclaimer time and speed restriction hacks.

I also modified and put the system into debugMode (debugMode = true), in order to prevent any reboots in case of any configuration issues.

Then, I decided to assign static IP address to both eth0 and usb0 interfaces by modifying (/etc/network/interfaces) file, to be able to connect using those IP addresses from then on... I checked the file several times before saving, so there were no typos...

After reboot the MUTE icon kept appearing on the display (I had the radio on mute during the modification). Rebooted several times and no good. So I did a factory reset hoping it will fix everything... but it screwed things...

Screwed big time that now it keeps stuck displaying the Mazda logo at boot screen, and I cannot connect to the car anymore. Neither via Wi-Fi (because connection history lost) nor via the USB-to-Ethernet adapter. None works... (The cable I used was a straight, not a crossover. I'll try with a crossover one tomorrow and post the results here, but is it really necessary to have crossover?)

The radio plays in the background (luckily I had left it on radio), but I cannot change source (Bluetooth, USB...etc.), cannot set/change anything... Only can change radio stations using the controls on the steering wheel.

As far as I could find, there's no serial connector on the board.

I'd be really glad if someone shares who knows what to do or at least give an idea on what to check.

See less See more
#2 ·
wow, sorry to hear about your problem.

I've had a boot loop before... the fact that you've tried to set the network interfaces may cause some problems. I recommend removing any USB sticks, the NAV sd card or anything else to help quicken bootup time and give your network a chance to load before it barfs and reboots.

This link has pointers in the Troubleshooting section that might help:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...0-index-infotainment-project.html#post1459825

Hope you find a way out.

g

#3 ·
You may also want to try the suggestions here:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...your-infotainment-system-out-reboot-loop.html

Most network adapters now a days have an "auto sense" feature. Your laptop may have one. If that's the case, then theoretically, you can use any cable to plug straight in to the car. If it didn't work before, then a crossover may solve the issue.

Now, I do have a couple questions on this... Are you using one of the "approved" ethernet adapters? I ask because the car only has drivers for a specific chipset.

When you assigned the static IPs to the car, did you remove the auto-ip that they built in to the system?

I can't recall which file, but there's a setting that tells the car to use a specific IP in the event of no DHCP server. It's an actual route-able IP, not the usual 169.254.0.1 address. This seems to be the only thing out of the ordinary that you had done. I'm pretty sure others have turned on the debug mode, but I can't be certain. I'm not sure that this is the cause of the trouble, the static IP is just the only thing that stands out at me.

If that's the case, then the system is somewhat running in the background, which means you might also try the USB tweaks that have been discussed... you would just need to plop a copy of the interfaces file and have the usb tweaks drive copy the backup to the original location. It may come up enough that this would actually work, but I can't be certain of that either, but I think it's worth trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.