2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car was in the shop today for issues relating to my infotainment system and ipod. Issues, like 5 - 6 minute load times for artist info to populate, playing the ipod when I'm on XM, no control of the ipod when connected. Just got off the phone with the dealer who has been quite helpful so far. Tech who was working on car, worked with Mazda tech support to resolve issue. Their response, the system can't download and store all the info you have on your ipod, you have too much, so it locks up until it can get what it needs. I have a 64GB ipod touch 4th gen, which is on their website as being compatible. It is has over 5000 songs on it. That's what it's for , to store music. This ipod was made in 2011. I can't believe that Mazda did not account for this. They said they are working on software improvements to be able to get more info downloaded.
Basically that is BS. I know the dealer is only relaying info, but as far as I'm concerned Mazda sold a product that doesn't work as advertised.
Thoughts? Does anyone else have an ipod that is 3/4 full or maybe uses an ipod classic and have this same problem. Am I the only one in the world who owns a Mazda 3 and uses his ipod as it was meant to be used?
Tomorrow, when I pick up my car, I plan on voicing my displeasure to them but don't know if it will help. Do you think contacting Mazda North America would be the better option?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe its like I've said in other posts,,
mazdas diagnosing the issues as per there trouble shooting methodology..
BUT I REALLY think there cheaping out on the hardware when making the cars (CPU/Memory/Storage) is going to come back and bite them square in the AS*.
I'm kind of "expecting" a TSB to come out on the CMU within the next couple months..
Well.. at least im crossing my fingers for it.
In the meantime, I follow the recomendations they make..as do others..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm all for following Mazda's recommendations but the only advice is, is that I have too many songs. Which means spending money to downgrade to a smaller product or having less songs, which means their product doesn't work as advertised. That's frustrating. I find it frustrating that a Kenwood DNX6960 aftermarket head unit that I had installed in my 05 Mazda 3 back in 2010 could handle the same ipod with no problem.
I bought the car because of everything it was advertised to be...

Other than the ipod the car is great, but I love having my music at my disposal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought the car because of everything it was advertised to be...
you and me both..(and countless others)
cars definately sexy to look at, but we didnt just pay for sexy.. we bought the whole package!

5000 songs isnt that many.. you shouldnt have to delete any.
Are you sure they weren't saying compatility issue with the ipod?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you and me both..(and countless others)
cars definately sexy to look at, but we didnt just pay for sexy.. we bought the whole package!

5000 songs isnt that many.. you shouldnt have to delete any.
Are you sure they weren't saying compatility issue with the ipod?
They specifically said I have too much "data" and it is taking too long to download or update the infotainment system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
copy those 5000 songs to a usb stick (or external harddrive) and see what that does..
i have a TB harddrive with more songs than that and it runs fine .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got over 6000 songs on my 160gb iPod classic with no delay issues like you are experiencing. Mine is an 2014 sGT. Your infotainment system is defective....period.

I'm sure they have another car like yours on the lot. Have them try your iPod in it, using the same cable. My bet is that it will work fine.......

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got over 6000 songs on my 160gb iPod classic with no delay issues like you are experiencing. Mine is an 2014 sGT. Your infotainment system is defective....period.

I'm sure they have another car like yours on the lot. Have them try your iPod in it, using the same cable. My bet is that it will work fine.......
That's a good idea, I will see if they will do that.

·
Registered
285 Posts

i think id still try the songs on another media type.. just to confirm its not the way the songs are encoded, ..ect (and they are mp3 right?)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I purchase a iPod classic 160gb today. Put all my music on it and connected it to the system. The hang time on the infotainment system was maybe 30 - 45 seconds. Considerably less than the iPod touch I own, which took anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes to load artist info. I'm partially ok with this but still not completely happy with the solution. Will probably still sit down with the general manager and have a chat about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So, I purchase a iPod classic 160gb today. Put all my music on it and connected it to the system. The hang time on the infotainment system was maybe 30 - 45 seconds. Considerably less than the iPod touch I own, which took anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes to load artist info. I'm partially ok with this but still not completely happy with the solution. Will probably still sit down with the general manager and have a chat about it.
Like I said earlier, I have minimal (<2 sec) lag at most. I still would get them to try another car with the same infotainment system, as others have seen on here a hardware problem can be the cause.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I said earlier, I have minimal (<2 sec) lag at most. I still would get them to try another car with the same infotainment system, as others have seen on here a hardware problem can be the cause.
I will do that. I wanted my car back and had to get to work so messing around at the dealer wasn't a priority.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have the same iPod 160, with the new TAU, it improved drastically. I reformatted my 160, and used 256bitrate for al my songs. So far after 2 weeks with the new TAU, no issues. Now I am leaving on a long trip soon, so lets see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts