2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got the new one installed. So far so good. I asked if this one is covered under any sort of warranty and they said "No". Brand new screen with no warranty apparently, hopefully nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just got the new one installed. So far so good. I asked if this one is covered under any sort of warranty and they said "No". Brand new screen with no warranty apparently, hopefully nothing goes wrong.
Make sure you got a receipt. All dealer repairs should be warrantied for 12 months or 12,000 miles whether the repair was free or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, a ton of info here! I recently purchased a 2014 Mazda 3, had 0 issues during test drive or even the first day at home... All of a sudden, the touchscreen went nuts in my driveway. Through this forum, I did the touchscreen disable hack which worked for a few days of driving and then it went nuts again downshifting (mine's a manual trans) at an intersection. When I got to my destination, I verified the touchscreen was still disabled, the it did it again! I unplugged my phone (not wireless charging) that was sitting just under the CD player and plugged into the USB in the console and everything was fine again... I bought a 12V plug and have been charging my phone that way and everything seems quiet...

My current questions:
Has anyone else experienced issues with a charger cord plugged into USB? Has anyone successfully had the touchscreen replaced under the TSB bulletin outside of warranty?

Any help is appreciated!

-WildBill2500

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I don't know how to edit my last post, but I figured out a few things and could use some help from you guys with some experience ...

As mentioned above, I did the touchscreen disable hack (the flash drive one). The screen does not respond to touch even when parked. However, twice now when I am stopped, the screen is going nuts. It moves over 3 or 4 buttons to the right when on the radio screen, selects tuning or HD Radio, changes tuning and attempts to overwrite station presets. I quickly unplugged my phone that was charging via 12v, disabled bluetooth, and the selector was still moving on it's own.

If the touchscreen is disabled, does this mean my controller, connector, or a cable issue is to blame? Have any of you seen the same issue? Unless someone has a better idea, I plan on doing the ribbon cable disconnect to physically ensure the touchscreen is getting 0 signals and see what happens.

My car is new to me, has only has 34k miles, but is a 2014 so it is way out of warranty. ANY help is appreciated, I love this car but this issue is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Go to your Mazda dealer and get a replacement - some user posted that there is an extended warranty (7 years - at least for USA & Canada) for this problem at Mazda. Some users already got a replacement because of this problem - for free. Just read some posts before #189 and #190!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I had inquired to corporate as well. They confirmed I have the extended warranty for the problem. I was not given a warm fuzzy feeling when talking to my local Mazda dealer. After calling twice, service actually picked up the phone the second time. I had to tell the service writer a couple times that a new touchscreen is covered by an extended warranty specifically for this issue. So they will "order one and then call me for an appointment once it arrives".

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to know that Mazda is FINALLY are doing something about this issue. I would say too bad that I already replaced mine with a 2017 model screen in my 2015, but I do like the way the housing on the 2017 screen looks better than the previous one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I took me three trips to the idiot dealer to get my touchscreen replaced, even though I told him what the problem was the first time it was in. Knowing what I know now, I wold have just disconnected the ribbon cable.

OTOH I got a new CMU with the latest software, so I can upgrade to AA/Carplay if I buy the hardware.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got my letter in the mail! I almost trashed it because it looked like junk with a red band that said "Important Warranty Information." I assumed that it was yet another in an endless parade of warranty offers I get for my last 3 cars. I already paid for mine, (and told my story a few pages back) so I hope the refund is painless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my letter in the mail! I almost trashed it because it looked like junk with a red band that said "Important Warranty Information." I assumed that it was yet another in an endless parade of warranty offers I get for my last 3 cars. I already paid for mine, (and told my story a few pages back) so I hope the refund is painless.
Got the same thing over the weekend. They definitely should have made the envelope look better than it does (you know, something more official looking). If I hadn't seen your post first, I probably would have thought the same thing. Glad they are doing something about it, but it's too late for me since I replaced mine with a 2017 screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, a ton of info here! I recently purchased a 2014 Mazda 3, had 0 issues during test drive or even the first day at home... All of a sudden, the touchscreen went nuts in my driveway. Through this forum, I did the touchscreen disable hack which worked for a few days of driving and then it went nuts again downshifting (mine's a manual trans) at an intersection. When I got to my destination, I verified the touchscreen was still disabled, the it did it again! I unplugged my phone (not wireless charging) that was sitting just under the CD player and plugged into the USB in the console and everything was fine again... I bought a 12V plug and have been charging my phone that way and everything seems quiet...

My current questions:
Has anyone else experienced issues with a charger cord plugged into USB? Has anyone successfully had the touchscreen replaced under the TSB bulletin outside of warranty?

Any help is appreciated!

-WildBill2500
I have had very similar problems with my 2014 Mazda 3 (which otherwise is a great car), intermittently over the last two years:

-phone (paired to car) begins randomly dialling from Contacts list, can't be stopped without shutting off phone-will not respond to steering wheel buttons, console, or touch screen;

-on "Settings" the screen begins randomly jumping from screen to screen when trying to adjust Clock; and

-sometimes screen display will not respond to master knob or to buttons.

I took it in to Mazda service last year, but their response was that it was probably dirt or spilt coffee. I am planning to take it in again, this time to get the system replaced, but I'm not optimistic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The ghost touch problem is well documented. Find the technical bulletin and bring it ti the dealer for a repair, or better yet, just disconnect the ribbon cable from the touch screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same problem with the "ghost touch" on my 2014 mazda 3. I went to the dealer and now I'm waiting for the screen to come in. The screens are on backorder and will take unknown time to come in 2-3 months they said on the phone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have this same problem with the "ghost touch" on my 2014 mazda 3. I went to the dealer and now I'm waiting for the screen to come in. The screens are on backorder and will take unknown time to come in 2-3 months they said on the phone.
Yes because it is a recall. They tried to shaft customers by not replacing screens or having customers pay for them. Now they are dealing with the flood of replacements since they were forced to do a recall. You will be happy when it is fixed though, I know how frustrating the issue is!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today I had the same problem my infotainment is freaking out. It makes phone calls by itself and jumping from one thing to the other. I just had an issue with starting the car and I assume the problem was the battery. And this is happening the same time with the infotainment freaking out. I just replaced the battery and the infotainment it's still freaking out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes because it is a recall. They tried to shaft customers by not replacing screens or having customers pay for them. Now they are dealing with the flood of replacements since they were forced to do a recall. You will be happy when it is fixed though, I know how frustrating the issue is!
So is it a legitimate recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today I had the same problem my infotainment is freaking out. It makes phone calls by itself and jumping from one thing to the other. I just had an issue with starting the car and I assume the problem was the battery. And this is happening the same time with the infotainment freaking out. I just replaced the battery and the infotainment it's still freaking out.
Hey go to the dealer and tell them about the "ghost touch and Special Service Program SSPB6". They will do a test on your screen to determine if you do have the problem or not. Mine freaks out on random days, some days there is no problem and some days it's just pointless to have that screen. They will order you a new screen but it's on backorder so most likely going to have to wait a long time. This is in Toronto Canada maybe in the USA it might be faster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Today I got my refund check in the mail! $430. I submitted for reimbursement of two separate bills. The $430 repair and the $115 diagnostic fee from an earlier visit to test the problem. I only got the $430 with no explanation included with the check. Not sure if I have a leg to stand on if I try to demand the $115 also.

Anyone else have any luck in a similar situation?

201 - 220 of 221 Posts