2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Friends,a question to those who disconnected the cable from the display. The screen goes off when I unplugged it.

I tried disconnecting the brown connector first, the screen goes off . Then (thinking I was wrong) unplug the gray connector and the same thing happened.

When connecting everything is normal, but with the problem of touch crazy.

Help !!

As a data, I only disconnected the cable on the side of the screen and not on the side of the CMU. I have not pulled out the whole module because when I took out the air vents, I saw the connectors and I took them from there.

Will I have to disconnect the cable from both ends?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Friends,a question to those who disconnected the cable from the display. The screen goes off when I unplugged it.

I tried disconnecting the brown connector first, the screen goes off . Then (thinking I was wrong) unplug the gray connector and the same thing happened.

When connecting everything is normal, but with the problem of touch crazy.

Help !!

As a data, I only disconnected the cable on the side of the screen and not on the side of the CMU. I have not pulled out the whole module because when I took out the air vents, I saw the connectors and I took them from there.

Will I have to disconnect the cable from both ends?
It sounds like you're disconnecting the wrong cable. If you look at my picture, there are the 2 connectors at the bottom where the cables connect from the CMU. Those need to stay connected. There is a flat ribbon cable next to them that needs to be disconnected in order for the display to continue to work without the touch function.

You do NOT have to take it apart as far as I did (big metal bracket removed from the back, as I was attempting something else). You WILL have to remove the display from the CMU (4 screws holding the CMU to the display's bracket), disconnect the 2 cables from the display that run to the CMU, and the trim and back housing (4 screws holding the assembly together) so that you can access the connector. Gently pull both sides of the beige part of the connector toward the edge of the display, and once it is loose, you should be able to pull the cable straight out.

Once you have disconnected the flat ribbon cable, just put everything back together, reconnect the 2 cables from the CMU, and re-install the display and CMU into your dash. If done right, it everything but the touch screen should work.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing it will run by itself but if you have FW v59.00.502+ you may be SOL
Thank you for this. I just installed it (version 55) and it successfully deactivated the touchscreen. However I am now having trouble navigating the menu using the knob when the car is parked. I can navigate and select fine when the car is moving, however scrolling and selecting from a menu only works intermittently when the car is still. I've tried rebooting and restarting the car.

Any advice you have would be appreciated!
Read my earlier posts. The current "fix" via a software update will cause this because best guess is the CMU is still reading the ghost impressions and its slowing it down, when you drive the software is coded to disable the touch, hence the problem/lag goes away. Forget the software fix and just pull the ribbon cable out like I posted a few posts ago and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like you're disconnecting the wrong cable. If you look at my picture, there are the 2 connectors at the bottom where the cables connect from the CMU. Those need to stay connected. There is a flat ribbon cable next to them that needs to be disconnected in order for the display to continue to work without the touch function.

You do NOT have to take it apart as far as I did (big metal bracket removed from the back, as I was attempting something else). You WILL have to remove the display from the CMU (4 screws holding the CMU to the display's bracket), disconnect the 2 cables from the display that run to the CMU, and the trim and back housing (4 screws holding the assembly together) so that you can access the connector. Gently pull both sides of the beige part of the connector toward the edge of the display, and once it is loose, you should be able to pull the cable straight out.

Once you have disconnected the flat ribbon cable, just put everything back together, reconnect the 2 cables from the CMU, and re-install the display and CMU into your dash. If done right, it everything but the touch screen should work.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got back from my local Mazda Dealership, where I get basically all my service done. Printed the TSB that was copied here, with me. Scheduled a regular service, and had them check this too. They confirmed that the touch screen is bad and ordered the part for me. Didn't have to fight them on it thankfully, and it will be covered by my certified bumper to bumper.

Makes me wonder if there are any other TSBs that I need to look into before the warranty expires.
Dealer forgot to call me that the part came in, went in the service adviser forgot how certified bumper to bumper warranties work and tried telling me it couldn't be a warranty repair because it wouldn't be covered by powertrain. I was like the factory bumper to bumper just ended last year, it's into the certified bumper to bumper now. He twiddled a bunch of things on his computer, and ultimately went oh yeah you're good.

Screen was replaced, and I specifically asked that they upgrade the firmware, which they did. Now I can buy the carplay stuff myself >:) without any concern about borking the CMU.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My dealer said the same thing - screen is not covered under the Mazda extended warranty. I got my car in on close to the last day of the original bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to make everyone aware. I am having the same issues in regards to my screen jumping all over. I had taken the car in a couple weeks ago and it fixed it for a day after an update. But the problem has reoccurred.

I contacted Mazda today after reading this post. My warranty has ran out, but it seems Mazda Canada is aware of this issue in regards to the screen. They have extended the screen warranty for 7 years from 2014 I believe. So the car is booked in to get the screen changed under warranty now. If your having the same issues I advice contacting you dealer as this just came out this week to the dealers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I emailed Mazda USA about this, and they confirmed the extended warranty for this issue:

While researching your VIN I was able to find a warranty extension that was released on 5/23/19 and may be related to the concern you are experiencing. As this has just been released Mazda is yet to mail out notifications to owner’s included in this warranty extension.

The condition described under SSPB6 advises on certain vehicles the Mazda Connect touch screen in the center display may not accept touch commands properly or may operate by itself. SSPB6 would extend the warranty on the discussed component for 7 years if the vehicles first day of use with no mileage limitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully the dealers get it fast. I don't trust mine too much but will give them a call tomorrow. I disconnected the ribbon cable, is there a way to use only the knob in the test screen? I wanted to upgrade the firmware but can't click the "clear" and "exit" buttons required during the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dunno if it can help others but i fixed mine by cleaning the touch screen that had lots of fingerprints on it and it stopped and now its working very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got the notice from Mazda regarding the extended warranty coverage. Good that they have admitted it and will fix it free or reimburse you if you have already fixed it. Will be booking my service appointment soon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It took me three trips to the dealer to get them to fix it on warranty. I think the better solution is just to disconnect the ribbon cable from the screen. You lose the touch screen feature but that's not very useful anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add me to the list of those who is getting a new screen under warranty. I am picking it up today. Glad Mazda is doing the right thing.

DBinOC

181 - 200 of 221 Posts