2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 sport hatchback (no tech pkg or anything fancy). On the dash there is an info screen displaying gas mileage and etc. I have noticed that the screen (just that one) dims in hot weather intermittently. I live in the upper Midwest, so, it really doesn't get super hot like Texas or something. The dimming is gradual back and forth.

Here's my question: does anyone else have their screen dimming in hot weather? I was going to take it in to the dealer, but if everyone is having this issue I probably wasn't going to have them tear apart my dash for a problem they may not be able to fix.

Your experiences and/or advice?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in northern california and its been well over 100 degrees the past couple weeks and i have had no issues. maybe just a slight dimming if anything. how much does your screen dim in hot weather?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How dim? To the point where I can barely read it. Top temp here has been maybe 95. However, I park in full sun and my interior is black and I can't roll my side windows down slightly or anything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice kayaks...I've got a Necky Chatham 17.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah i agree. it should not dim at all from the heat. mine is still visible even in intesnse heat. i would take it to the dealership to be fixed. i had a 99 audii a4 that the screen would turn off if it got over 75 degrees outside so i know how frustrating it can be!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Could it just be sun glare?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You sure it's the hot weather and not the time of day that dims it? If you have Navigation there is a setting which "automatically" sets a daytime mode (brighter screen and light colored map for NAV in daytime hours, and dim screen plus dark map for night hours). It's a great idea, but the NIGHT or AUTO made is so dim it's hard to read at all. I have my set to daytime mode all the time to get the brightest readout. If you want to try this, go to your preferences within NAV mode, choose "Map Color" and set it to "Day", that's the way I do it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all for your input.

Instrument brightness suggestion: Good idea, but I verified that wasn't it by playing with the brightness setting and other lights changed, this screen didn't.

The time of day and NAV suggestion: I don't have NAV, so it's not that. Good suggestion though.

For glare: Again, good suggestion, but no, I verified that when I drove into an underground parking structure with little light. Still was dim.

Looks like I'm the only "lucky" one with this screen issue. I will take it into the dealer. Again thanks to all for the suggestions and help.

Off topic, but fun: To mfourn20: Thanks! My kayaks are 2 Wilderness Tsunami 14's. I was going to put a post on here how I mounted them on the vehicle (to help the next guy), but have been busy. Perhaps later.
More kayak mounting pix here at my test post under this site's Testing Grounds: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/testing-grounds/4175-testing.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with my info screen on my 2010 Mazda 3 S. It's happened probably a half dozen times and it's always been in the mid 90's and happens when I first start my car. Then either at some time later while driving it comes back on full or the next time I start my car. I just recently took it to my local Mazda dealer. They told me they contacted the Mazda technical line and that Mazda is aware of the issue but does not have a fix for it yet. I will check back with them in a few months to see what is going on. Please let me know if anyone hears anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello t_rex_2001 and kayak,
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2010 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback.
Were you guys able to fix it?.
I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the issue, instead the car now misreads the outside temperature!.
They have ordered a new screen but due to the current tsunami and earthquake in Japan, they couldn't tell me when will the screen arrive.
Any comments please!
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow I thought I was the only one, it definitely happens to me too, especially during the summer. I can also reproduce it in the winter when I have my heat on (thanks to the heat being extremely hot in the 3). If I turn the heat to only point towards the leg area the display fixes itself.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Shortly after i bought my car this happened to mine too. I actually watched the mid display grow spots and then die altogether. The temp outside was 98 degrees and I was stuck in traffic. Mine was replaced and is ok so far but I try not park in the sun all day or at least park under a tree for a little shade.. The whole problem comes down to poor placement for an LCD display. Too close to the engine bay, too close to the windshield, not enough air space behind the display to dissipate heat and a jet black dash is a bad combination. Mazda dropped the ball with the dash design.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i noticed my was dim last week when we reached about 90 degrees. It went away quite quickly so I assumed it to be glare, brightness etc. It has only happened once but I'll continue to keep an eye on it. I'll be visiting my parents this weekend where the high is predicted to be 104, that should be a good test.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have noticed the same issue in cold weather conditions. There is a similar thread in the recall/tsb discussion area. I will be bringing mine in for oil soon so I'll ask the dealer to look again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same happened to me but it was cold out and I was running my front defroster on high. I turned that off and the screen went back to normal after a while. I bought my 2011 in Nov so I figured the hot weather will do it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dim issue just started

Add one more!

Just started last week. It goes dim randomly. Almost to where I cant see it at all. There were days that It didn't happen at all. Weird thing is I live on the coast of San Diego and the highest temp that hit near me last week was 75. I've had the car for about 8 months now. With my luck the dealership wont see the issue when I bring it in and wont replace it until it fully dies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2010 once had this issue but it was early dawn in -5 degrees temperature after sitting under a carport all night. Never have I had that problem again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have question? similar but not the same? when you turn on your car the display on the dash and the middle display, have bright red LED, and if you turn on your parking light or headlight, it dimm, is that normal? setting is set to max. thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts