·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
X

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to know as well. The manual says the fogs can be operated with just the driving lights, but as we know, they actually turn on only with the regular beams being on.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone purchase the FSM yet ? Any automotive electric gurus out there ? Do I just search for the wire that becomes hot when fogs are switched on and make it permanently hot ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone purchase the FSM yet ? Any automotive electric gurus out there ? Do I just search for the wire that becomes hot when fogs are switched on and make it permanently hot ?
the switch for the fog is somehow wired into existing electrical circuits to only allow it to be hot when low beans are switched on, but not hot when lows are off. for the bypass, you have to add additonal wiring to the relay for the fogs, allowing the switch to become hot when you switch it on allowing the relay to trigger. Turning on the relay is essentially what you are doing. if you make it permanently hot it will always be on, not exactly what you want. hope that helps clear things up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mazda uses the same relay as they did on their previous generation and again once i get some time and good weather which should be on the way this weekend i will try to crack the puzzle. But please be adviseI may have to run a seperate switch for the time being until i can get my hands on some wiring diagrams for the headlight system on this car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have some rather sad news about this. Looks like mazda started to use a light control module and until someone can get us a diagram of this we are not going to get very far :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a couple of connections that may be able to help me out with what we need to proceed with this so dont let your hopes down just yet

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may be a dumb idea, but why not just run all new wiring to an independent switch. There are places (at least in my 3s GT) for extra buttons and switches. Just Cut the existing wiring for the stock fogs, and run new wiring to an aftermarket switch. Makes sense to me, but I don't know all that much about these things. =o)

·
BLUEDOG 69
50 Posts
I would like this mod too... I was thinking a seperate switch for the fog lights maybe my first option to avoid any electrical problems. Keep up the hard work... I hope we figure this one out. Eventually itll pay off...

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
any updates on this mod?:chinese:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just an idea to toss on the table, Independant swtich all the way to new Lamp sockets. Disconnect Factory sockets, secure them from dangling and buy new sockets and make new wiring/switch....is this fesable? I havn't looked at the assembly yet so I don't know if this could work. If it would that would leave the factory wire harness untouched.

·
Registered
64 Posts
any updates?????????

·
Registered
607 Posts
Mmm, I cooked the modual that controls all the forward lights.

I personally wouldn't recommend poking around to much it is a $460+ Part.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just an idea to toss on the table, Independant swtich all the way to new Lamp sockets. Disconnect Factory sockets, secure them from dangling and buy new sockets and make new wiring/switch....is this fesable? I havn't looked at the assembly yet so I don't know if this could work. If it would that would leave the factory wire harness untouched.
very plausable. All you need to do is buy the 9006 sockets or pick some up from the junk yard. The clip may or may not be the same, but im sure there are many ways around that. After that... it would be just like installing a set of fog lights on car that didnt have them.

Just keep in mind, in the US most states you will or could get a ticket for having your high beams AND fog lights on at the same time. The law states only 4 "head" lights can be on in the front of the car. The low beams stay on with the high beams.

I'd like to make it so that the fog lights came on with the parking lights, but still turned off when the high beams were on.....

as always, disconnect your battery before cutting any wires!

Reactions: ybryan
1 - 20 of 35 Posts